Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
You paid $1300 - $1800 and your concerned with $14?

Come on!
I didn't do it because it didn't change the estimated delivery dates, Nov 22-30. But I absolutely have to get it before Thanksgiving. Otherwise won't be around to accept it.

Can they give better status calling them up?

metalchaos

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Hello,

Do you know with what carrier is Apple sending the products? Is it FedEx? Is there any difference between the standard and the 2 day shipping?
I also need to know if Apple ever uses USPS for shipping.

Thanks.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Do you know with what carrier is Apple sending the products?
It depends on your location. Everything I receive from Apple is delivered by FedEx.

Is there any difference between the standard and the 2 day shipping?
I've never seen any difference, so I always use standard shipping.

I also need to know if Apple ever uses USPS for shipping.
I can't recall receiving anything from Apple via USPS.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I didn't do it because it didn't change the estimated delivery dates, Nov 22-30. But I absolutely have to get it before Thanksgiving. Otherwise won't be around to accept it.

Can they give better status calling them up?

If you haven't ordered yet at all, you are likely SOL. You'd have been better off ordering 2-3 days ago if your priority was a Thanksgiving delivery deadline. Now, it's a Friday meaning anything you order today likely won't be processed in time to make the weekend shipping cutoffs. All times expressed are US local so if ordering a CTO rig it's already the weekend in China.

You wasted all your cushion time on this thread.

almostjay

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
For what it's worth, I ordered my 13"/128/4GB from MacMall on Tuesday 11/16 at around 12PM EST and it was delivered to my home outside of NYC at about 5:30PM on Thursday 11/18. This was using the free shipping option by the way.

I guess it depends on what configuration you are looking for, but MacMall has stock on hand in their U.S. warehouses, so you can probably bypass all of this China crap if you use them.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
For what it's worth, I ordered my 13"/128/4GB from MacMall on Tuesday 11/16 at around 12PM EST and it was delivered to my home outside of NYC at about 5:30PM on Thursday 11/18. This was using the free shipping option by the way.

I guess it depends on what configuration you are looking for, but MacMall has stock on hand in their U.S. warehouses, so you can probably bypass all of this China crap if you use them.

Agreed. Today's the last day of the Apple Insider promo, too. I ordered the overnight shipping for $16 and it came the next day. They have some of the custom build models in stock, too (4GB).

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
If you haven't ordered yet at all, you are likely SOL. You'd have been better off ordering 2-3 days ago if your priority was a Thanksgiving delivery deadline. Now, it's a Friday meaning anything you order today likely won't be processed in time to make the weekend shipping cutoffs. All times expressed are US local so if ordering a CTO rig it's already the weekend in China.

You wasted all your cushion time on this thread.

I ordered it on the 15th, posted here on the 16th. You're responding two days later saying I'm SOL.

That said, I wish I had done expedited delivery. The order said delivery between the 22nd and 30th, but I thought it would easily get here by Monday.

I was wrong. They finally shipped it yesterday, but FedEx has delivery scheduled for 4:30pm on the 24th. Thanksgiving eve. If it's late at all I won't be able to pick it up. Argh.

jrhames

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
I ordered on the Education Store on Monday afternoon, 11" 4/64gb, no expedited shipping. Got an estimate of next Tues, and just checked to find it is on the truck this morning! If I were trying to beat a holiday, I would go for exp. shipping, but otherwise why bother?

periopdoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
FedEx has delivery scheduled for 4:30pm on the 24th. Thanksgiving eve. If it's late at all I won't be able to pick it up. Argh.

This is an easy one. If the package is going to be delivered to your house/ business on the evening of the 24th, it will almost certainly arrive at your local FedEx office the day before, or early the morning of.

Look at your tracking form on the Fedex website. Under "Shipment Options" (about 1/4 of the way down the page) there is a "Hold at FedEx Location" option. Select this and you can will be able to go to the FedEx office at any time on the 24th and pick it up yourself. If it doesn't show up until after the 24th, they will be holding it until you return anyway.

I would wait until the 23rd to select this option as there is a good likelihood that this delivery will occur prior to the 24th. Mine is scheduled to deliver on the 22nd, but arrived at my "Destination Sort Facility" (in MT this is about 4.5 hours from my house) at 0615 this morning. That means that it will be delivered here either this evening or tomorrow (the 19th or 20th) unless the truck crashes coming through the mountains, but I selected the express shipping option.

- pod

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
This is an easy one. If the package is going to be delivered to your house/ business on the evening of the 24th, it will almost certainly arrive at your local FedEx office the day before, or early the morning of.
If it misses thanksgiving eve, I won't be able to pick it up for weeks. Will end up going back to Apple.

I never would have believed the delivery process could be so inefficient. I ordered it Tuesday afternoon and here I am Friday midday and it's still in Shanghai China! All this because they don't stock laptops with 4GB of memory. I'm amazed they don't have a warehouse in the US.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I ordered the 13" Ultimate but cancelled

as my local store has all the new Air models including the top of the line.:apple:

Why would you order when you can just go and pick it up, unless you live in the boonies!:rolleyes:

periopdoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
If it misses thanksgiving eve, I won't be able to pick it up for weeks. Will end up going back to Apple.

I never would have believed the delivery process could be so inefficient. I ordered it Tuesday afternoon and here I am Friday midday and it's still in Shanghai China! All this because they don't stock laptops with 4GB of memory. I'm amazed they don't have a warehouse in the US.

If you knew you were cutting it that tight, why wouldn't you pay the extra 14 bucks? It is going to deliver faster than what they initially quoted you on the website.

If it sits at the FedEx office for "weeks," they will return it to Apple. You can call them and get them to hold on to it until you return, but I don't know how long they will hold it.

It's actually pretty efficient. You ordered mid-afternoon in the US which is something like 4-6 AM China time. They would have processed your order and had it ready for pickup in the afternoon/ evening which would be sometime after midnight on Wednesday your time. It was picked up and then a couple of days to get across the ocean and to your local sort facility would be Friday morning. You can't get much more efficient than that. Apple does not keep a huge stock of unsold inventory in US warehouses. That is partly why their profits are so good.

Anyway, it is probably going to get to you in plenty of time. At 8AM local time, mine was listed as "In Transit, Shanghai CN." By 10 AM it was listed as "At dest sort facility" Now, before noon, it is "On FedEx truck for delivery." My estimated delivery date is still Nov 22nd.

- pod

periopdoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
Perhaps, but would you like to see my backyard?

whitefish.jpg

Copyright David Marx

There is a reason a lot of celebs have second homes up here, and thankfully they haven't turned it into another Aspen.

- pod

p.s. I am not David Marx

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
If you knew you were cutting it that tight, why wouldn't you pay the extra 14 bucks? It is going to deliver faster than what they initially quoted you on the website.
It didn't change the estimated arrival date on the website. I wasn't obvious that it was making a difference. I ordered it from a retail Apple store. The sales person didn't think it was necessary. I thought it would be hear early next week, not at the last minute before leaving.

Knowing what I know now, I would have picked expedited delivery.

Anyway, it is probably going to get to you in plenty of time. At 8AM local time, mine was listed as "In Transit, Shanghai CN." By 10 AM it was listed as "At dest sort facility" Now, before noon, it is "On FedEx truck for delivery." My estimated delivery date is still Nov 22nd.
You realize it takes more than 2 hours to get a package from China to the US. Local time means local time wherever the package is at the time. So 8AM China time is 8PM the night before US eastern time.
Not obvious it will get here in plenty of time. Sat in China until today. Finally got to the US... Alaska that is. Still a ways to go now that the weekend is here.

periopdoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Kalispell, Montana
So much for trying to be an encouragement

You realize it takes more than 2 hours to get a package from China to the US.

Um yes of course, that would be why I said "a couple of days to get across the ocean" in the 3rd paragraph of my post. (by which I mean get loaded onto a plane, physically transit the distance, and clear inspection on this end)

You said

and it's still in Shanghai China!

I pointed out that a package will appear to be in Shanghai CHI until it is scanned somewhere in the US. Therefore your package might not have been "still in Shanghai China" as you stated, it could have been between Shanghai and the US. In my case, my package was physically in the US for at least 10 hours before it appeared as such in the tracking data.

Local time means local time wherever the package is at the time. So 8AM China time is 8PM the night before US eastern time.

No, when I say local time, I mean MST, the time at my house/office after I have adjusted for time zones.

I checked package status twice this AM. At 8AM MST the package was listed as being in Shanghai, at 10AM MST the status said it was at the dest sort facility in Great Falls, MT. Even though it had transited Memphis, TN and was sitting in Great Falls, MT when I checked at 8AM, this was not reflected in the FedEx tracking page at 8AM. Clearly the package was ahead of the tracking.

Not obvious it will get here in plenty of time. Sat in China until today. Finally got to the US... Alaska that is. Still a ways to go now that the weekend is here.

I didn't say that it obviously would, I said it probably would. Now that it is in America, I would say that yes, it will definitely get to your city before your deadline.

The weekend has no effect on the air transit of packages, but might delay any necessary inspection in Anchorage. It will get from Anchorage to your state by Tuesday at the absolute latest, but probably by Sunday. If necessary, it will then be trucked overnight to your city.

It will be available to you by Wednesday mid-day at the latest (if you put a hold for pickup on it), but likely by Tuesday.

As antsy as you are, you should put a hold for pickup on it so that you don't have to wait for the truck driver to deliver it.

- pod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.