Apple Cinema Display or ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sdahe, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Need help to decide about this dilema... I'm about to buy an Apple Cinema Display of 23" but I was in Costco today and saw this 24" Samsung monitor for $349 and I said what?.... Why the Apple monitor is twice the value?

Why should I spend $550 more for an Apple Cinema Display?...

Thanks guys

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Better picture firewire cool

Love my 23"

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this even a complete sentence?

I don't know anything about the Samsung. Have you compared specs? I believe the Dells are comparable to the ACDs, but I believed the ACD to have a bit more color control. This was preference really for me.
    Now, if that Samsung has the same specs and you're just giving up a couple USB and Firewire ports then I'd get the Samsung.

Compare the two and see where you stand then.

As for price, regardless of value Apple's will always be more expensive, it is the name.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

The ACD's are aimed at the professional graphics market, and use different technology. Particularly the panel used, as it's an S-IPS part. Other changes include better back lighting in order to keep the screen image uniform.

The Samsung would be a consumer grade model at that price, and likely uses a S-PVA panel. Less complicated circuits controlling back lighting, and a few others. The consumer models do have more of a tendency to offer various ports, some even include card readers.

Ultimately, determine what you need, and go from there. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

5. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

So the extra $550 is just for been an Apple product?...:cool:

6. yamaha106 macrumors member

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No it does have a better panel (at least I believe so), but I think if you compare the specs of the two you may find the samsung to be a better buy.

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

See, thats what gives Mac users a bad name...

9. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

With thouse prices I can go with 30".... It will be a lot less than the Apple Cinema

10. Esrb99 macrumors member

I just got my 30" cinema today... student discount!!!

It's pretty, and great for logic pro.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Partly. The majority of the cost difference is in the technology used.

If you're doing graphics work, particularly that which requires color accuracy, the professional models are what you should be looking at.

If not, there are a number of alternatives (consumer models) offered by many manufacturers. Of these, you should definitely look at the Dell (2408WFP). The HP L2475W is an excellent unit to look at as well, as it uses an H-IPS panel. It's been reviewed extremely well, and can be had for ~$600USD. Both are 24", BTW.

It just depends on what you want/need. :)

12. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

What is a S-IPS part?

What is S-PVA panel?

13. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Most of the time I use my MBP for photo edition and graphic design so YES, I need a professional monitor... something really good for this kind of work. I don't use games in my mac.... just photo edition and graphic design.

What is the technology in the ACD that makes it so expensive over other brands?

14. Esrb99 macrumors member

S-IPS panels arn't like PVN or TN panels in that the color is more uniform from any angle, and have a better viewing angle. S-IPS panels are better for graphic and photo-intensive work.

go with the apple. I got mine today, way nice.

15. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

If I had more money.... I would buy the 30" ACD... but that would be $1,799... :(

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I was wondering why someone unless they're doing VERY Professional production wouldn't buy this Dell 2408?

17. Amigaman macrumors regular

Amigaman

I picked up the Samsung 305t Plus (S-PVA) and love it. :) I don't game or edit images so paying extra for an S-IPS panel didn't make much sense. Besides, I don't care for the grainy look that S-IPS panels exhibit.

18. Esrb99 macrumors member

if you know that you will be wanting a 30" at some point, go ahead and wait it out. I saved cash for 3ish months... thought of waiting till macworld '09, but Display-port won't do well with my MBP, so I was like **** it, & bought the current one. it's perfection.

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

20. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well I don't have $1,799 for 30" Apple Display so let's see what I have... hummmm

23" Apple Cinema Display or Dell 2408WFP

Is the Dell compatible with a MacBook Pro?... I heard an issue with drivers... I'm not sure yet

21. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

If any of you guys have a picture of your setup with a 23" ACD... please let me see it. I want to know how big it looks...

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

As you haven't indicated if you need a professional or consumer model, I'll assume you need a consumer model.
    That tosses the ACD, as it's more than you need, and likely a waste of money. :eek: ;)

I'd look at:
    Dell 2408WFP, which you're interested in, and can be had for $517 from Dell. Don't forget shipping.

HP L2475W. It's not much more, but has an IPS panel. This one can be had for $593, and free shipping. Has plenty of ports, including DisplayPort and HDMI. 6 USB ports. No card reader.

23. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I think I did....

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

OK, I missed or forgot that little tidbit. :eek:

For 24" professional, you may want to take a serious look at the NEC 2490WUXi. They can be had for $993.99 at macmall. It's IPS based, well reviewed, and the other members who have bought them, swear by it. Even back lighting and good color.

BTW, do you have a colorimeter?

25. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

This NEC monitor is more expensive than the 23" ACD... No, I don't have a colorimeter, why?