Apple Cinema Display PRO

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Nov 27, 2008.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

Dear Steve,
    i recommend that you make an Apple Cinema Display especially for the Pro users because, as you can see in many threads, they certainly do not like the glossy screen of the new ACD.
    You must make a new line of ACD with a mate display as the older ones. It will match perfectly with the new line of MacPro that you will announce in MacWorld (hopefully) and certainly match with the current MBPro.
    You can call it ACD Pro to match all the current Pro line (MacBookPro and MacPro) and then Steve and you will return right at the top in the Pros Appreciation Chart, where you used to be, but not there now (due to the glossy stuff)!
    ;)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

sjobs@apple.com is what you want. Not here; he just comes here to laugh at us.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

My guess would be that soon Apple will update the current line of ACDs (may get rid of the 20") to match the new 24". I think that they will probably offer a matte version of at least one of them but who really knows.

4. Dear Steve macrumors newbie

Zoran,
    Thank You, we need people like you at apple, but what do you mean by "a new line of ACD with a mate display..will match perfectly with the new line of MacPro"? You already know I'm announcing new MacPros made of glass? Why would "mate displays" match the current line of MBPs? I thought I told China to make them glossy..and if you're talking about the 17" MBPs, we're working on it, a lot of customers have asked for netbooks,so we are dropping the current MBPs and naming MBs...Pros, we will be delivering a 4", bigger than the iPhone of course, Netbook with Firewire and No USB, I think the pros will be happy

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

While it is humorous that someone would either make a second account (DISALLOWED) or a first account simply to reply to this thread, there are problems with some of the things stated here.

Namely that Steve wouldn't tell us that he's redesigning the Mac Pro... even though they are.

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Dear Dear Steve, they would match, because a pro would never work on a MBP alone. He would accompany it with a large display and that would be only a mate ACD, now does that cover you?
    Let me know when you will call me for an interview!

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He's talking about how, since the MacBook Pro is only glossy, a matte display wouldn't jive very well even if it had the same style.

8. Dear Steve macrumors newbie

in all honesty it's a disgrace there's no more matte option on macbook pros, and I hope whenever 17"MBPs are updated again to the unibody thing, they have a matte option, at least those..same goes for bigger ACDs, I read antiglare films take away from image definition

9. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Well like i said, a pro cant work solely on a MBP (glossy or mate) cause its too small. He would accompany it with a larger display. Now that display would be ideal if it were a mate one and not glossy!
    Only thing is that Steve make it clear if there are going to be releases of mate displays in the future cause people will get frustrated if they get a glossy one and then mate displays arrive!

10. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Even me having a Mac Pro, I don't really care about the ACD because they are over-priced.
    There are lower priced, better screens to buy than that ACDs.
    I think Apple should consider lowering their prices on the screens too.

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Apple cinema display PRO sounds like a great name actually haha :eek:

12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Im hoping i might get some attention by Steve, maybe get into the Ideas or Creative Department at Apple! ;) An xtra inhouse graphic designer might always be of some intrest ;) especially one thats in love with this company.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

14. avalys macrumors 6502

What is not "pro" about the glossy screens again? All I hear is a bunch of people whining about reflections. I don't understand why only "pro" users are so easily distracted, it seems like the reflections should bother people in every group of users.

Personally, I'm a computer "pro", though not a graphics pro, and I like the glossy screen.

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

graphics pro have another problem other than distractions from reflections. there is also a color management issue cause colors are very vivid, ok so graphics pros have the main problem cause theres that additional issue that other computer pros dont have! do i cover you now?

16. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Colour management is a touchy subject....
    Those who are serious about colour management use CRT's with neutral grey walls with controlled lighting conditions using special light bulbs.

I've just finished profiling some iMac's with glossy screens and their target was to match to offset printing and with some work they are now pretty close (even thou the walls are painted bright red which effects the monitor colours).

17. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

...or EIZO LCDs

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Actually, the new ACD with it's H-IPS panel is not over priced. Most PROFESSIONAL displays with those panels cost $400 or so more.

However, I don't know if Apple took out any parts or anything to get the price down.

But, Most of the pro IPS panels I was looking at cost $1200 for a 24" until I got a deal at my local pro shop for 2x 23" ACDs for $600 each.

There won't be a pro display. Apple only makes gadgets, phones, and consumer stuff now. The only Pro machines will be the Mac Pro and the 17" MBP. Everything else is for the soccer moms and dads with deep pockets.

19. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

True but you still need controlled conditions to get the best colours (majority don't) and a device profile target like an offset press, digital press...

20. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

In this day this is all that you need. The controlled environment helps a bit, but you will never get one that is even 70% consistent. I try my best to tell users to get the profiles of printers, or the numbers off of the presses and use the fact based, digital numbers to tone their images and graphics.

Of course, in this day and age with all of the "Photography/Color management for dummies" users no one really understands that, cares enough to learn it, or even acknowledge that color accuracy depends very little on the monitor you use or it's calibration....

They just make it much MUCH easier.

21. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

well ok, perfection doesnt exist on such matters but i want at least to have some basic conditions and a glossy display is far from basic!

22. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Colour correction by numbers is the best way:
    13, 13, 13 for shadows / 243, 243, 243 for highlights

23. avalys macrumors 6502

So, the problem with glossy screens is that the colors are too vivid? Can't you just adjust the color profile so they look crappier?

That's really it? That's why "pros" don't like glossy screens, the colors look too good compared to what's possible on paper?

24. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

that's a great deal :) You're right that Apple makes a lot of consumer stuff now, but let's hope that Apple hasn't forgotten the Pros. We should know by Macworld.

25. kolax macrumors G3

Haha...I was waiting on a comment like that as I was scrolling down.