Apple Cinema Display Update...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iondot, Jul 2, 2008.

1. iondot macrumors member

The lack of an update to the Apple Cinema Display is making me insane. I have a 23" Cinema display presently and for nearly a year it has been exhibiting problems. In short, whatever is on screen burns in over the course of ten or fifteen minutes.

Blanking the screen will remove that burn in, but it generally takes about an hour to do so - not practical since the burn in will just return after another fifteen minutes.

Over time this problem has become worse. I NEED a new screen. I can't bring myself to buy one of the current Cinema Displays as their price and features are now years behind the curve. I don't understand how (or if) Apple is selling these things.

It seems strange to me, since they are pushing professionals to have a non-Apple product on the top of their desk. It seems to me this is a bad marketing strategy from a company that is concerned with their presence.

I'm baffled and frustrated.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple care (not AppleCare) flowchart:

More Care

iPhone
    ^
    iPod
    ^
    iMac
    ^
    MacBook Air
    ^
    MacBook
    ^
    MacBook Pro
    ^
    Mac Pro
    ^
    Cinema Displays
    ^
    iPod socks
    ^
    Pippin
    ^
    Mac Mini

Less Care

It's not big on their priorities list. They don't care about professionals.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

I'm baffled by your problem. I have two 30"ACD's on my desk, they're on 24/7 and I've never seen anything that remotely resembles burn-in.

Otherwise, I agree with the other poster that Apple is under no pressure to update them. I'm sure they base that on sales volume and product return/repairs. Like all companies, Apple is going to watch that bottom line in analyzing any given product line. One would have to assume that the ACD product lineup is performing adequately. Maybe not performing adequately for you, but doing fine for them.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

If you work in color, it's difficult to exceed an Apple Cinema Display without spending as much or more. It still has an excellent panel and very good parts inside.

Apple's not trying to sell a panel you can connect your DVD/Blu-Ray player, TiVo, and PS3/XBox to. As such, they are content to stick with a single DVI input at this time and forgo DisplayPort, HDMI, and Component. I do think they need to add a second since I imagine many folks have a Mac Pro and a MacBook (Pro) and would like to run both from one panel (as I intend to do).

I really believe Apple is waiting for 20", 24" and 30" LED backlit panels to drop in price and then they will refresh the ACDs. The only ones I know if now are from Samsung and each is twice as expensive as it's ACD counterpart.

Since Apple only sells one model of ACD, you'd be looking at a $2000 20", a $3000 24" and a $4000 30" ACD if they refreshed right now with the Samsung LED backlit panel. This isn't 1999, when Apple could charge $3000 for a 22" LCD because it was a brand new technology.

5. iondot thread starter macrumors member

I'm baffled by it too. Burn-in is usually a phenomenon which takes a great deal of time. The short period and temporary nature of my problem are unusual, but none-the-less frustrating.

With regards to the Cinema Display color, it was true three years ago that they provided among the best for the price, but this is simply no longer the case.

I think the issue may have more to do with Apple sorting out it's future with Blu-Ray, than any of the issues described above, including the humorous "more support, less support" flowchart. (Thanks for including the Pippin!)

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm especially baffled, as burn-in is supposed to be next to impossible on an LCD.

Thank you for finding it humorous. The saddest part is the fact that it's true.

7. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

We're using a 23" ACD in our office that is pink all around the edges. We'd like to update the monitors but Apple is just not delivering. It's a shame.

At home, I have a 20" ACD connected to my Mac Pro. And once in a while I wish there was an iSight built-in so I could Photo Booth or iChat with friends without getting out the original iSight and precariously balancing it on the monitor.

Maybe if the new displays could also make calls, play music, and tilt sideways to activate Cover Flow Apple would be more interested. :)

8. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

has their been that big of an advancement in LCD panels from Apple's current offering?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Fixed for accuracy. :p

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Nope, the current specs are as good as they get price wise for any IPS panel on the market. You can get the lower end TN and PVA panels from everywhere else for less of course but if you are a color specific person then don't touch em.

The monitors that DO surpass the ACDs come from NEC, LaCie, and Dell (only the 30") and they are all more expensive then their Apple counterparts. HP has a 30 bit display at 24" and it's about $3500, so as it stands Apple is using older tech that is still industry standard by a long shot, and priced accordingly.

Sorry about the 23" though, my paper had droves of them until they got 30" (which was a waste of money IMHO since we needed other equipment) and they were flawless, even the old Studios which we still have around are fairing a lot better than the Dell 24" the design team uses.

11. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

LOL, so true. I had to laugh. I actually forgot all about the Mini.

12. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

What I'm doing is using a 17-inch temporary and when Apple release the new Cinema Displays then I will buy my 30-inch but i'm not buying the current cinema displays because of less features, Like solidgoldmini said I want use some of the features on leopard like iChat and Photo Booth which required a Camera and I don't want a logitech webcam either and i'm not paying over $200 for a use iSight on ebay, most people here thinks that the cinema displays are fine the way they are, I strongly disagree because number 1 better contrast ratio, 700:1 ACD is ridiculous I know most low end 22-inch displays have 3000:1 or at least 1000:1, Built-in iSight Camera would be nice, Back-Lit displays or even OLED (not), choice of Glossy or Matt(imagine a 30-inch glossy screen that would be insane) but mostly the reason that Apple is taking so long is that their developing full Resolution Independence support in snow leopard that could pave the way for Apple's high resolution Cinema display so I think when Apple released Snow Leopard then we might see new Cinema displays then Maybe? I also tryed this went on Apple.com on the product feedback page and even if they don't have a feedback for the cinema displays I used the Mac Pro feedback and write my suggestions about the cinema displays and maybe they can pass it along to the developers for the cinema displays but in all actually when snow leopard release with resolution independence then we will see new Cinema Displays.

13. iondot thread starter macrumors member

I should point out that I don't know for certain if "burn-in" is correct term for what is happening with my Cinema Display. There are latent images, especially in areas where there has been a good deal of contrast and these will persist for hours. It's especially problematic in the darks.

If anyone is curious, I can take a picture and post it, but I doubt it will solve the overriding issue that I want Apple to release a new display.

Right now I have the Lacie 324 on order with my finger's crossed.

With regard to improvements since the Cinema displays, there are many monitors with higher bit depth, greater contrast and brightness, and better color fidelity.

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

To truly understand why Apple charges what they charge, like every other manufacturer that produces S-IPS paneled monitors, you may want to have a look at this link.

There are also a lot of threads here on these forums that talk about the differences between TN, PVA, and IPS panels and backlights that cause minor differences in specs.

Agreed, the LaCie 324 is a great equivalent to the Apple Cinema Display that uses S-PVA panels. Most places you get it from will charge you around the same price as the 23". Good luck but I am sure that the quality of the monitor will be on par if not better than the ACD in certain situations. They are ranked right up there with NEC and ACDs.

15. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

iPod socks will be updated with new colors/ features befoore the displays...trust me i have inside sources

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

True, it's been about four years since they were introduced, and there have only been price drops. I want a update as well, but there is nothing wrong with the current ones unless you want a cheaper/low end TN or PVA panel and an iSight camera, which are very consumer things.

17. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I would like to see pics...

18. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

BTW, I bought a used 30inch because I didnt want to spend too much more then the cheaper dell and Im sooooo glad I did. I dont care if they are older, this thing is fantastic!!!

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The interesting thing is that the only dell that compares to the 30" ACD is a $2000 panel with a different backlight and that's pretty much it. You always get a better deal buying Apple refurbished products.

20. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

I want a 30-inch so badly but don't know which brand to go with, I want Apple's but I'm waiting on that one whenever that may be, but I'm also looking at the Dell 3008 TFT display, SamSung, Viewsonic, Rizo, BenQ, HP, Gateway and if Apple doesn't bring out at least at the beginning of 2009 when snow leopard comes out i'm maybe be force to buy a Dell 3008 lol.

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The Dell 2408 and 3008 are the ones that are similar to the Apple monitors and prices accordingly. The 2408 is $680 while the ACD 23" is $900. While the ACD uses H-IPS (the improved version of S-IPS) the Dell uses the good but not as accurate S-PVA which is much better than TN hands down and is the better choice for gaming, TV watching, movie watching, general use etc.

The 3008 and ACD 30" use the S-IPS and H-IPS type panel with only the backlight separating them. The price difference in the displays is probably caused by the backlight and casing.

In either case, it's up to you, the user, to decide what you are going to use the monitor for. If it's color specific, and your job is on the line, go with the more color accurate H-IPS and S-IPS panels. If not, then anything else will do. And from what I remember the HP 30" uses the IPS panel type as well.

On a side note, the reason many users consider the ACDs to be far more expensive or "behind the times" compared to other monitors is because they are comparing the S-PVA, IPS, and TN panel like they are the same when they aren't even close. When LG or Samsung or that 3rd vendor make new cost effective monitors to put in the ACD cases then Apple will update. As it stands there is nothing to update to. All Apple can do is replace the backlight or make a new casing.

22. Xavier macrumors 68020

I love how you put the Pipin before the Mac Mini.

And it probably is true.

23. thebrain74 macrumors regular

The website listed earlier in this thread shows what Digital Skunk mentioned. The 23'' and 30'' ACD'S use H-IPS which is the best panel on the market. Very few manufacturers use S-IPS, and even then sometimes its a lottery between PVA and IPS. Even fewer manufacturers use the improved H-IPS display. A quick look at the site listed earlier showed a 24'' display by NEC that is $1,200 while the 23'' (I know an inch smaller) is $900. Yes Apple's displays are expensive compared to the majority of consumer displays, but if you make it a fair fight and compare them with displays of similar parts and quality they do alright for themselves.

P.S. the 20'' uses a S-IPS afaik.

P.P.S I also believe the alum. 24'' iMac uses a H-IPS panel as well

24. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I bought a Dell 2208WFP and I'm very happy with it.

Why do you need an Apple display? Is it looks, features, brand loyalty? I'd look at what you're after and expand your search.

25. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

i want to buy the 30 inch Apple cinema display though without display port or hdmi it really kills of HD video for this display limiting it severally.
    I would like to kill two birds with one stone and not need to buy a 30 inch lcd tv and a 30 inch display for playing movies when the room i rent is quite small.