Apple Cinema Display with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeM87, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

I have a predicament, I'm thinking of buying a cinema display but would also like the iMac. Although the cinema display is a 27" I could only afford the top end iMac 21.5".

What would you guys choose.

Also do you have any pics of a cinema display with a MacBook Pro?

Thanks
    Apple iPhone 4 16GB

2. maxgohan macrumors newbie

why not get a comparable dell ultrasharp monitor and bank some cash??

3. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

Oh wow, I wasn't aware that they changed the bezel color. IMO that doesn't look as uniform as the MBP makes it out to be.

4. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Looking at your signature you have a MBP and a MBA? I'd say sell one of those machines and put the money towards entry level iMac 27".

5. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

I would actually just warn you away from the cinema display all together.
    Yes, they are beautiful monitors with ultra high res displays.
    Yes, it looks fitting next to a macbook pro
    but its really not a professional monitor. Im not saying that you should be looking for a professional monitor, but at that price you should certainly be demanding it. I don't know what you're going to be doing with it. Maybe you just want to look cool while you're checking you e-mail, or maybe you're doing some serious PS work.
    My only point is, if you are paying THAT much for a monitor, you can afford a more professional, better product.
    I recently purchased the ASUS ProArt series PA246Q
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236119CVF

and I could not be happier with it. Outstanding colour reproduction, resolution and viewing angle. 16x10 aspect ratio and 3-axis movement.
    and for a fraction of the cost. You could buy 2 of them and then have a dual screen set-up for your MBP

But the cinema is still an awesome display. But consider the cost

6. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

This is all I've got.

Attached Files:

7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i was thinkin of an ACD - but now thinkin of getting a cheaper display and spend the extra $$ on an sata 6 SSD

i was thinkin of this asus monitor

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I love mine...absolutely gorgeous. That said it is not a bang for buck monitor. I wish they used RGB LEDs, included iMac G4 style adjustability, and that there were physical controls plus an HDMI/DVI out but oh well...there are adapters.

[​IMG]

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

x.x so minimal

me wanty

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

While I don't doubt that the quality and price make it a worthwhile purchase... I must say that is one of the ugliest monitors I've ever seen. I'm sure Asus has some monitors from this decade, no?

:D I'm just teasing you.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Idk about you guys, but i look at the screen when using the computer. not the sides or its bezel. just putting that out there. and since when has the thickness of a screen had any bearing on the image quality? the asus proArt series has IPS for half the cost of the apple display and even comes witha certification of calibration for your screen,. not a batch calibration but hands on one at a time type affair.

12. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Not the same resolution or pixel density. Not an equivalent comparison. He asked about the 27" which is pushing 2560x1440. Very few monitors hit that glorious resolution, and all of the ones that do are more expensive than the ACD, unfortunately.

The only thing that keeps me away from the ACD - besides the price, I think monitors in that res are still $300 too expensive - is the refresh rate, which is HORRIBLE. I don't plan on gaming, but it's scroll blur that will annoy me after 8 hours a day staring at it.

13. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The Dell U2711 has the same resolution/pixel density and is also considerably cheaper.

14. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

It also uses the same panel from LG as the ACD, just with an anti-glare coating instead of a glossy glass front. OK, so it's not LED back lit, but it offers a wider colour gamut and is cheaper.

15. JR1993 macrumors regular

Lol... understanding maths. What level is that for?

Side note: looks so good.... maybe one day when im rich :rolleyes:

16. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

And nurofen on the side in case reading the book causes a headache ;)

17. JR1993 macrumors regular

Hahaha. At least he has his priorities right

18. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

20. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

First link I found over your side of the pond was Amazon

Dell U2711 is $836.89
    Apple Cinema Display $940.40

If you go to the manufacturers website, of course it's going to be more.

I'm sure you guys know places where they can be picked up cheaper, but for me looking around in the UK, that U2711 is about £60 cheaper and has dual DVI, HDMI, Displayport and component inputs.

21. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Amazon's U2711 is a third party who may charge tax, WILL charge shipping. Wait 5 business days for $20, or if you go with just 2 day shipping (Which by the way, Amazon directly charges only $4 for), and your price is now over $1000.

Cinema Display - Wow, a whopping $59.59 saved.

My point is to discredit this notion of some drastic savings of the U2711 over the Cinema Display. There isn't one. A drastic savings would have the U2711 featured at no more than $700.

22. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Obviously you guys on the other side of the pond have never had it so good. On Amazon UK...

Dell U2711 - £649.99 (RRP £970)
    Apple Cinema Display 27" - £810.20 (RRP £899)

Quite a considerable difference, if you ask me...

23. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Actually, it's not. I deliberately quoted Amazon's own price, not that of the market place sellers.

I can't comment on taxes, since your set up is different, but as colmaclean posted, for us in the UK there is a substantial difference in price between the more capable Dell and the ACD.

24. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

In Canada the 27" ACD is 1099$

the Dell 27" goes on sale every month or 2 for 700$ with dell days of deals.
    I'm sure dell has the same promo state side. If you can plan your purchases the dell 27" is a lot cheaper and has better functionality IMO.

For me both are too much. I pick up 2 used dell 2408 for 300$.