Apple Claims TSMC vs Samsung A9 Chip Variants Result in Only 2-3% Difference in 'Real World' Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 8, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the past several days, a slew of battery tests on the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus have revealed some performance differences between models that have an A9 chip manufactured by TSMC and those with an A9 chip created by Samsung. While various benchmarking and real world usage tests have shown differences of 6 percent to 22 percent, in favor of TSMC chips, Apple says that its own testing has shown battery life variations of only two to three percent.

[​IMG]

In a statement given to TechCrunch, Apple says that it has done internal testing and gathered customer data to determine the performance difference between the two chips in the iPhones.
    Apple says that early battery benchmark tests conducted by customers, such as those we shared yesterday, are not reflective of real world usage conditions. The two to three percent difference that Apple has seen in data gathered from customers is "well within its manufacturing tolerances" and is a level of variation that could be seen between two devices with the same chip.

Apple's statement on real world usage reflects what recent YouTube tests have revealed. Side-by-side battery tests comparing a TSMC iPhone and a Samsung iPhone did not show differences as dramatic as benchmark tests have shown, but those videos are also not quite indicative of real world usage results. On the MacRumors forums, opinions on battery life have been highly mixed. While some users with Samsung chips have reported poor battery life, others have not reported issues.

Article Link: Apple Claims TSMC vs Samsung A9 Chip Variants Result in Only 2-3% Difference in 'Real World' Battery Life

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Jesus--give that tired meme a rest.

4. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

There you go, Apple has spoken,look what you macrumors members have done! You pissed Apple off. :D

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

So Apple admits there is a small but nonetheless present difference.

With that in mind, I'd like to know if they sent reviewers TSMC or Samsung units to test, or a mix.

6. johnalan macrumors 6502

johnalan

To be fair I'm surprised they made a statement at all!

7. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Good to see Apple comment on this.

Hopefully ends this non story.

8. PTLove macrumors 6502

It makes perfect sense. Yes, the Samsung A9 is much worse at battery efficiency when running at its highest clockspeed. But the phone is very rarely at its highest clockspeed. Video is done on specialized decoding hardware, not the CPU, so video doesnt stress it. Music / UI navigation likely dont stress the CPU. What apple is saying is that only if you actually USE the CPU a whole whole lot do you see this difference. Which makes perfect sense.

And im really glad I got the TSMC :)

9. epiksol macrumors newbie

iPhone 6s w/ Samsung here. Amazing battery life so far. *shrugs*

10. macfoxpro macrumors 6502

My Sammy 6S is a super fast, and with great battery life to boot. But, that could just be mine. I'm happy.

11. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

so you're saying there's a difference....

just kidding, I don't care.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yep that pretty much sums it up. I guess it's time for someone to create another manufactured "gate". I'm sure some OCD person will find something and it will end up on YouTube in no time.

13. JCrz macrumors 6502

"Our tests where users randomly do stuff on their phones has scientifically proven that the difference is only 2-3%."

Magical? Yes.

14. Leoleon macrumors newbie

Leoleon

Apple didn’t want to deal with it

That’s why Lrium has been pulled from the app store?
    Now they are being forced to deal with it.

15. MuckSavage70 macrumors member

MuckSavage70

Not sure what chip my phone has - but I've noticed a big loss in battery life coming from my 6.

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I thought the developer said they had it pulled from the App Store.

17. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

Repeat: all chips are equal, but some are more equal than others.

[​IMG]

18. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Unfortunately this won't stop people from repeatedly talking about this. The reason so many people argue over battery life is because each of us uses our iPhone in different ways throughout the day. Some take more photos, some shoot more videos, some watch lots of video, some browse the web a lot, some game, some do a mix of everything, and others primarily use it for checking work email and calendars. TSMC chips might be slightly better, but the average user won't notice it. Furthermore iOS now has a low power mode to help when needed.

19. DankIllini macrumors member

I'm exact opposite, not sure what chip i have but my 6s has significantly better battery life than my 6

20. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Apple can't win. People scream for more phones on launch. Apple delivers. People scream because they don't get the part manufacturer they want. Some of you people should really channel all this wasted energy into something more productive.

21. realeric, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

No.......... You know it isn't, Apple............... I have a TSMC. :p

22. NMBob macrumors 6502a

Conservation of energy. Watts are Watts. I don't get how -- if they are doing the same thing -- if one chews through the battery faster than the other you can say they are the same. If you start Safari and go through the exact same sites and do the same stuff how can they both use the same amount of power running that program and not the test program? ...unless there are different tweaks for the different processors. Then it's possible.

23. MuckSavage70 macrumors member

MuckSavage70

Envious! Maybe I have a setting I need to change. I set this phone up as a new one rather than restoring from my backup so maybe I missed something.

Not sure if it's accurate or not, but I've noticed that my cellular service has been worse. Have AT&T and it's never been great in my office or home, but now it's worse. Don't know if it's related or not.