Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Put the Apple Clear Case on my iPhone 11 and ran into a couple issues and wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

- Extremely Difficult to Put On and Take Off: (It's a good thing in terms of fit, but be careful because previous reviews of the Xr Clear Case have mentioned cracking and the case losing its shape)

- Bubbles on the Back: After taking the case off the phone 2x it seems like it's very easy for the case to lose its shape. Bubbles formed on the back of the case and by just pressing firmly on the back of the case you can see more bubbles appear.

- Creaking: The case when held at the edges of the case will sometimes create a creak/pop sound.

Really disappointed because I'd like to show off the color of the 11, don't know whether my experience is a one off or a common issue.

Reactions: AppleDior31

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
No bubbles... I originally put the case on and did have a speck of dust so I had to the it off and fix that. Was really careful (like you have to be with a screen protector) and no dust. However, this evening I noticed that in less than 24 hours of having the case on the phone.. it already had scratches on it. I can't imagine what it's going to look like in a month.... six months... or a year!

I'm a one case kind of person.... i buy one I like for the year for each phone. As nice as the clear case feels and looks... I 'm probably going to return it due to it scratching sooooooo easily.....

It was difficult to take off but that wouldn't be an issue... I think I only took my green leather case off my Xs max a half dozen times total in the past year....

Reactions: trizzil

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
Why are you taking on and off so much? No bubbles for me. At first it seemed too slippery, but that has gotten better after 36 hours of use.

Reactions: lykbutta

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Mine has bubbles across the back.

The biggest issue for me is how it feels. I really miss the Apple leather case on my 6+.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Why are you taking on and off so much? No bubbles for me. At first it seemed too slippery, but that has gotten better after 36 hours of use.
Mine has bubbles across the back.

The biggest issue for me is how it feels. I really miss the Apple leather case on my 6+.
No bubbles on mine but it does feel very slippery. I do wish Apple would make a leather case for the 11.

Reactions: Lancetx

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
Changed my mind. Returning the clear and getting silicone case. This clear case slides out my pocket when I sit down. Worried I’m going to leave it somewhere by accident.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
No bubbles on mine but it does feel very slippery. I do wish Apple would make a leather case for the 11.

I ordered a Mujjo leather case last night. Looking forward to ditching the Apple case.

aloper

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2015
Rocklin, CA
I bought Apple's clear case, just so I had something I knew would fit, on launch day. I tend to go towards minimalism when it comes to cases, so this fit the bill. One thing, I feel like I'm going to snap it in half just trying to get it off. It's already got a few scratches though...My main issue is, it's just slippery! Not directly holding in your hand but getting it out of a pocket or picking it up from a desk, I feel like I have to be extra careful because if feels like it's going to slip out of my hands. Plus, the buttons are hard to press as well...

The key to using any case, is to put it on, leave it on, at least for a few days. This way you get used to it. I've had the apple clear case on now since launch, and as much as I've tried, I'm looking for something else...

I've gone on these clear case hunts a few times, while owning my XS and earlier iPhones...and seem to come to the same conclusion. In theory, show off your phone! Reality...they sort of look like you have a cheap piece of plastic wrapped around your phone. They are fingerprint, smudge and scratch magnets. If they are made of TPU, they have decent grip but they feel like cheap plastic. If they are polycarbonate, they are slippery and scratch...

Last edited:
Reactions: Breezygirl

iPhonefreak79

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2016
I ordered a Mujjo leather case last night. Looking forward to ditching the Apple case.
Good pick. That’s my favorite leather case of all time. It feels softer and more comfy than the Apple case. And it magically makes your phone feel so much lighter. I’m planning to switch on and off between my Mujjo case, and the Apple Clear Case.

iPhonefreak79

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2016
I’m returning mine, as the buttons are way too stiff and the creaking sound as I hold the phone in a certain way feels cheap. I’m sticking with the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Clear and the Mujjo leather case. Two of my top cases of many series of iPhones in the past. Trust me on that!

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I have no bubbles on the back of my 11 Pro Max so far. And no creaking either. No scratches so far. It goes in and out of my front pants pocket. I'm still thinking if I'm keeping this or sticking to the Apple Leather Case in black. I like that it's clear, but it is definitely slippery. The buttons are hard to press, but I'm wondering if that will become less stiff over time. I've already noticed the power button is less stiff, but it could just be me adapting by pressing it harder.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Put the Apple Clear Case on my iPhone 11 and ran into a couple issues and wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

- Extremely Difficult to Put On and Take Off: (It's a good thing in terms of fit, but be careful because previous reviews of the Xr Clear Case have mentioned cracking and the case losing its shape)

- Bubbles on the Back: After taking the case off the phone 2x it seems like it's very easy for the case to lose its shape. Bubbles formed on the back of the case and by just pressing firmly on the back of the case you can see more bubbles appear.

- Creaking: The case when held at the edges of the case will sometimes create a creak/pop sound.

Really disappointed because I'd like to show off the color of the 11, don't know whether my experience is a one off or a common issue.
I was about to add to cart then read this. Thanks for posting. I’ll stick to my ringke fushion.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Had similar issues. Put the case on and quickly realized that I forgot to put the sim in, so that’s a problem. Took the case off after trying for half hour and when I put it back in, it had already lost its shape.
Needless to say, I’m now on the forest green leather case

iPhonefreak79

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2016
I have no bubbles on the back of my 11 Pro Max so far. And no creaking either. No scratches so far. It goes in and out of my front pants pocket. I'm still thinking if I'm keeping this or sticking to the Apple Leather Case in black. I like that it's clear, but it is definitely slippery. The buttons are hard to press, but I'm wondering if that will become less stiff over time. I've already noticed the power button is less stiff, but it could just be me adapting by pressing it harder.
I’m returning mine, as the buttons are way too stiff and the creaking sound as I hold the phone in a certain way feels cheap. I’m sticking with the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Clear and the Mujjo leather case. Two of my top cases of many series of iPhones in the past. Trust me on that!
UPDATE: So I decided to do an exchange hoping that another batch might have better responsive buttons, and the new exchange was much better!

JackTwist

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2015
Purchased and opened prior to reading these issues. Does Apple allow returns for these cases or only exchanges if opened?

gespinosa23

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
Has anyone seen these little marks on their case? The small lines circled in red. I just returned the second one with it (first one was exchanged). I think it’s from putting it on and off the phone because it wasn’t there at first. Apple support and the Apple store employees all agreed it’s not normal. I like the case even if it’s slippery. If it’s anything like the XR case, it should protect the phone okay. My wife has dropped her XR with the clear case and no damage to her phone. I’m still undecided if I’ll get another.

Attachments

• B8A15899-883F-4DB5-82A9-5F159AEDB28A.jpeg
    B8A15899-883F-4DB5-82A9-5F159AEDB28A.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 1,486

iPhonefreak79

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2016
Has anyone seen these little marks on their case? The small lines circled in red. I just returned the second one with it (first one was exchanged). I think it’s from putting it on and off the phone because it wasn’t there at first. Apple support and the Apple store employees all agreed it’s not normal. I like the case even if it’s slippery. If it’s anything like the XR case, it should protect the phone okay. My wife has dropped her XR with the clear case and no damage to her phone. I’m still undecided if I’ll get another.
It definitely looks like small cracks from the bending impact ? You’re stripping it wrong.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
I started out with the Apple clear case, but the buttons, though not too hard to press, just couldn’t compare to the buttons on the Apple leather case, so I switched after a few days. Now rocking the blue leather pro case. Love it!

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
I haven't had any issues with bubbles or creaking noises with my Apple clear case and it's been on my iPhone 11 since launch day. The case can feel slippery at times though.

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I haven't had any issues with bubbles or creaking noises with my Apple clear case and it's been on my iPhone 11 since launch day. The case can feel slippery at times though.
Does the slipperyness go away after use? And will the buttons start being more tactile??? Really thinking of returning because it’s just so darn slippery and the buttons are hard to push. But it just looks so damn good. Dilemma.

iPhonefreak79

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2016
Does the slipperyness go away after use? And will the buttons start being more tactile??? Really thinking of returning because it’s just so darn slippery and the buttons are hard to push. But it just looks so damn good. Dilemma.
From my past experience with plastic cases, it gets grippier once the coating starts wearing out. Buttons, I can’t say.

Reactions: AppleDior31
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.