Apple Clearing Out 20'' G5 iMacs

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2006.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple met with resellers today and dropped prices on the remaining 20" G5 iMacs. Apple's own store now sells the 20" at $1499, down from $1699. According to reseller reports, there is little stock left remaining of the 17" and 20" iMacs so prices are "While Supplies Last".

Meanwhile, stocks of the remaining G4 PowerBooks are also reportedly limited, though their prices have remained the same at this time.

Another tidbits revealed to resellers, AppleWorks no longer comes with the iMac with no plans of a universal version.

Anandtech posts a review and comparison of the new Intel iMac compared to the G5 iMac.

2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Wow this will attract alot of my friends interested in making the big switch

3. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

One has to wonder when the 15 inch powerbook will start getting dicounted, $300 of that and it would be a steal:)

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's about time...

Apple must have been waiting to see if they could sell them at full price. - (I guess they couldn't)

5. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

Amazon has the 20" for $1,500 + (PLUS) $150 mail in rebate, free shipping, no tax

$1,350!

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

student discount

the student prices is down on the 20" to $1399...
    if i was in the market for a machine like this then now would be the time...

7. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

i knew this was comin

i kinda had a feeling this was comin, when they started phasing out the 15 inch powerbooks i just had a feeling the imac was doomed to go as well. Realistically it is a good move for apple. It cuts down on the number of models to keep track of, Clears out the warehouses. Also, we have to remember that the imac is a consumer oriented computer and that all the apps a consumer would use have already been universalized. Office doesnt command outstanding system resources so it will be fine in rosetta. For those who need them, pro apps will be universal soon enough.

8. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Did anyone read the anandtech articlet? It states the following:

Luckily, OS X's processor panel provides a quick and easy way to disable one of the cores in the Core Duo machine so we've got a way of finding out. With one core disabled, I added the non-existant iMac Core Solo 1.83GHz to the graph:

Does this mean that we can turn off a core in the new MBP and get better battery life?

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am quite surprised that the 17" wasn't dropped $ wise. My guess is that along with the excuses given they are also low on supply and so dont want to generate too much interest in them. Obviously 20" is in over supply.

Now, what does this mean for the Mac Mini when it gets an intel? How low can they go?

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Holy cow - you keep a computer what, a month? :eek:

11. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Im guessing wrong forum?

12. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

It keeps my hard drive from going out like your Powermac. he he he... :D ;) Seriously, this is my last one for at least two years. My new years resolution was to quit buying new cell phones, golf clubs, and macs. Wish me luck! :eek:

They have a link to anandtech's article on this story, so I posted it here.

13. Morky macrumors regular

That's a bit like saying "When 2005 rolled around at Chrysler, i knew the 2004 models were doomed." It didn't really require a hunch.

14. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Oh wow I really need to get on my common sense...:eek: I see it

15. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I'm not too suprised that Apple isn't bundling AppleWorks with the iMacs.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, if you download the CHUD tools, you can turn off one of the cores. However, according to those tests done by the one site, the power consumption wasn't vastly different between one core and two cores.

17. budugu macrumors 6502

I donot think there was a huge improvement in battery life (atleast on windows machines). In reviews i read it was more like 30 mins like 15%.

18. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Now that TextEdit does tables, HTML export, reads Word docs better than ever, etc., I have no need for AppleWorks I guess. I liked it while it lasted! Much simpler than MS Word--in a good way--and plenty of power.

The spreadsheet part needs a replacement though.... Numbers?

As for pricing, I thought ALL the outgoing models should drop in price, but I guess demand is strong enough that Apple hasn't had to.

19. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It's strange how the price of a product affects its perceived value.

If I had been in the market for a 20" iMac and was choosing between the Intel and PowerPC models both at $1699, it's very likely I would have leaned toward the PowerPC model.

Now that is is $200 cheaper, I would feel (pscyhologically) more inclined toward the Intel version. It's more expensive therefore its better mentality.

OK, so that says a lot more about the weirdness of me and my relationship with money than anything else.

What I'm waiting for is an awesome slick Intel iBook. On some modern PC laptops, have you all noticed the hard plastic or glass screen (acrylic?) that covers the LCD? Do you guys like that? I think I would for protecting the LCD. It looks shiny and fancy. If you've had one, is the shininess annoying?

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

still too much money...reduce it more then we will talk, PPC is gone now and i dont care how long it will still be in use.

Bless

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This isn't really that great of a deal. The Intel iMacs are much better than their G5 counterparts, so Apple shouldn't have been selling them at the same price in the first place if you ask me. This is a better deal, but Intel is the way of the future, so unless someone is bent on sticking with PPC for as long as possible, I wouldn't exactly jump all over this deal.

22. deejemon, Jan 31, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  23. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Everyone should read that article that is attached in the post. It is very imformative, and it thuroughly answers many of the questions about performance that people have been asking. And, it answers those questions in a comprehensive and believeable way.

Makes me feel a whole lot better about the longevity of my iMac G5.

24. BruinJohn macrumors member

I'd buy one if I had the money.

Man, what a deal. This deal is also including iWork 06, which is a pretty good bundle. I would get one, if only I didn't buy the 17" 1.9 Ghz when it first came out. But I'm satisfied with my purchase. There's always going to be something bigger, better, and cheaper down the road. I am looking to upgrade my 12" powerbook this year. Come on Apple, bust out a small MacBook Pro! Wohoo!!!

25. mproud macrumors regular

iWork is quality, comparable to Office, minus a few features people don't need, and the spreadsheet, of course. $79 is a good deal, and is about how much AppleWorks costed say 7 years ago (I know because that's how much I paid for it).

Maybe next year will see Numbers…