Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anandc

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Bombay, India
When people say "hammer", what exactly is meant by that?

(1) You use a physical hammer (j/k)
(2) You swipe back and forth or refresh the app
(3) You kill the app and relaunch every few seconds

Which is it?

The reason I ask is because I had a very bad experience ordering the X last year. And I really don't want a repeat of what happened. My friend and I were both sitting down with our iPhone 7's. He got his iPhone Store app to allow him to add the iPhone X to cart almost instantly at like 12:02 PST. I must have refreshed my app and killed/relaunched it for a good 30 minutes and still I couldn't get the app to allow me to place an order. How could this happen?

We were both using iPhone 7's. We had perfect reception on WiFi. When my friend switched to cellular, he could still order an iPhone. We couldn't figure out why I couldn't. I ended up finally using his phone to order my iPhone and that was already an hour or so into the process, which cost me extra weeks of waiting time.

I was not happy, especially since I tried everything I could to order this damn phone at the right time. I prepared as much as I could have to no avail. My account was in good standing, in case you're wondering. There was nothing special or wrong with it because the following day I was able to get to the checkout process without a problem when I checked.

What gives? Anybody run into this before?

Don't worry buddy, you're not the only one. It's more related to the traffic of so many people trying to pre order. If some are getting through then some will not be able and unluckily it was you last year.

You just have to kill the app and relaunch it and try again. That's the best bet. Try Apple.com website and Apple Store App together at the same time. Whichever clicks, you're good to go!

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
How does the IUP work when trading in your old phone? This is my first year and I plan on trading in my 8 to get a 10s. Do they mail me a new phone and I return the 8 to the nearest Apple store at some point or must I pick up the phone in an Apple store so they can inspect my 8 before giving me the new phone?
I myself have not done this but others I know have and I am pretty sure they send you a pre-paid box to send your old phone back at your discretion within an allowable timeframe.

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Do you think they will let us out early for iPhone X launch day orders from last year for the upgrade program? It was in October but now the XS we think will Be September. It was the opposite of the year before where there were two extra payments between phones.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Hopefully this year the store will open ON TIME this year and not like previous years. Last year I was not able to order for launch week (FWP I know) so I went through AT&T and got it launch week. I've used the store app and never had a problem until last year. Neither worked. I'll have apple.com and the app up and going. Hopefully one or the other launches without issue and hopefully there are no CARRIER issues checking upgrade validity! :(

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
Hopefully this year the store will open ON TIME this year and not like previous years. Last year I was not able to order for launch week (FWP I know) so I went through AT&T and got it launch week. I've used the store app and never had a problem until last year. Neither worked. I'll have apple.com and the app up and going. Hopefully one or the other launches without issue and hopefully there are no CARRIER issues checking upgrade validity! :(

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some internal algorithm that allowed users with newer, more expensive models to get priority when ordering. In other words, you get dibs if you ordered an iPhone last year over someone who hasn't.

Ferrari did this for years. If you're a prior Ferrari owner, you get dibs when buying any of the new limited models that tend to sell out fast. And since we all know that iPhones are undoubtedly the Ferraris of phones, this isn't as far-fetched as it seems.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me if there was some internal algorithm that allowed users with newer, more expensive models to get priority when ordering. In other words, you get dibs if you ordered an iPhone last year over someone who hasn't.

Ferrari did this for years. If you're a prior Ferrari owner, you get dibs when buying any of the new limited models that tend to sell out fast. And since we all know that iPhones are undoubtedly the Ferraris of phones, this isn't as far-fetched as it seems.

Nah. I can attest that I have always carried several lines with my carrier and flopped back and forth. Some lines never had an iPhone on them. So there is no priority attached.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Anandc

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Bombay, India
So now we have all the models and prices, it's time for the pre-order.

12.31pm (IST)

I'm still confused between iPhone XS & iPhone XS Max. I just need to see how is the landscape mode on iPhone XS Max.

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
I’ll be ordering a 64GB Space Grey XS Max tonight. Wife isn’t sure if she wants to upgrade to the new iPhones but if she does, she wants a coral XR.

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
If you have a fully paid off phone, can you trade it in for credit and use that towards the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program? (and lower your monthly payments?)

This is from the Apple trade in page. You should be able to trade it in, but looks like if you pay monthly the refund amount is only up to taxes and fees, the rest will be on Apple gift card.

4939284edcf785d7d40a5dcd0a9d92ea.png

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Can anyone confirm if multiple items on the same order will be dispatched separately in their own individual package? Even if they have the same delivery date?

Eg. Getting a iPhone X’s Gold 64, Xs Max Gold 64, Apple Watch S4 and leather case.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Can anyone confirm if multiple items on the same order will be dispatched separately in their own individual package? Even if they have the same delivery date?

Eg. Getting a iPhone X’s Gold 64, Xs Max Gold 64, Apple Watch S4 and leather case.

Usually ship separately, at least for me in the past.

Reactions: Boardiesboi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.