Apple.com 'reservation' vs at&t 'preorder'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DangerIsGo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. DangerIsGo macrumors newbie

So I just went to apple.com and 'reserved' a new iphone since getting a new service through their site didn't work. Now, I get an email saying

'AT&T notes that iPhones will be supplied on a first come, first served basis, and pre-ordering is the only way to avoid waiting in line all next weekend.'

Now, Ars says this:

AT&T notes that iPhones will be supplied on a first come, first served basis, and pre-ordering is the only way to avoid waiting in line all next weekend

at http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/06/att-on-tethering-iphone-3g-s-pre-orders-early-upgrades.ars

So, if I get to the chosen apple store early, will I get an iphone? I mean, I don't wanna not be able to get one on that day (since I'm porting from Verizon and don't want to be without a phone) and find out that if i went to an AT&T store and actually 'preordered', I could have been guaranteed one. I'm new to the apple scene, so please be gentle. :)

2. dagomike macrumors 65816

Apple Store = you can check out faster if you camp out now.

ATT = You can show up on the 19th after breakfast and coffee, flash ID, go home.

Going to the Apple Store is quaint, but I don't really enjoy being exploited for free PR.

3. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

i reserved mine with a family plan and 2 iphones
    i hope nothing bad goes down. for instance, if they allow me only 1

4. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Preorder from at&t people that preorder can pick up there phone starting at 7-9 am before the store opens. Depending were your at&t store is located I would still get there just a little early though.

5. DangerIsGo thread starter macrumors newbie

So I know that AT&T store have 2 lines, one for preorder that opens at 7, and one for non-preorders that open at 9. But what does apples stores have? What time do they open? Which would be guaranteed more stock?

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I pre ordered the new iPhone from AT&T's website. They will overnight it to me so I can receive it on the 19th. No waiting in line anywhere. Ahhh, I feel good.

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Yeah, I'm interested in knowing the difference too. I'm willing to put up the money now for a pre-order to avoid the line, but which would be a better chance of simply walking in on the morning of the 19th and picking up the phone?

8. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I ordered in store and was told that i have 7 days, the standard order pickup, to pick up my iPhone.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Why are so many people doing in-store pickup at AT&T or Apple when they offered to deliver it for free, to your door, so you don't need to leave your home, and you don't need to wait in line, for no extra cost?

10. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

In my case, I have to work all day Friday, so for two reasons:
    1. I don't want them to leave a note, saying they missed me.
    2. I would have it delivered to work, except that my work computer does not have iTunes nor can I install it (not an admin) so I need AT&T to activate it. Also, what happens if it comes Saturday, I will not be at work.

So for me, there is an AT&T across the street and I will swing by on the way to pick up my new phone.

11. keeganxt macrumors regular

So if someone opts for this method, what is the protocol for getting the iphone activated?...i too would be switching from verizon and would prefer not to have my phone out of service for too long, though cell porting usually takes like 15 sec.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When pre ordering online, there's an option to transfer an existing number (I did this). They said that I can continue using my current carrier until I actually activate the iPhone (which is done through iTunes).

They also told me that when I activate my iPhone, I will be able to make calls, but it could take up to 1 hour to be able to receive calls. During that period, all received calls will go to my old phone.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I pre-ordered and had it shipped to me. Good on Apple and AT&T for working out the activation process. It was a disaster last year.

And I get to open my own box, again. YAY :)

14. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would have pre ordered through Apple, but when I went through the process, it only gave me the option to pick it up at an Apple store. I didn't want to go any further (because the closest store is 100 miles away and would be very busy), so I cancelled and went through AT&T's website.

15. keeganxt macrumors regular

Thanks, exactly what i wanted to know

16. dagomike macrumors 65816

I considered this, but I'm switching my wife's phone over to my old iPhone, and then will convert to a family plan since I was forced to have individual plans with the 2G until now. Also, I want to make sure my FAN discount is applied correctly. Also I saved $18 in fees. Plus I get my phone at 7 AM. :)

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Only if you're first in line. :D

18. dagomike macrumors 65816

Either way, it will be sooner than at an Apple Store and way before FedEx shows up. :) Plus, the store is just down the street.

19. steveclay macrumors newbie

For those of us with Apple Store 'reservations', will Apple Stores be open at 7am for pickup, or just at their normal time?

-s

20. keeganxt macrumors regular

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, on launch days (where AT&T is slammed with new customers, and starts slamming all of the other carriers with port requests), it can often take a lot longer than 15 seconds for the port to complete. :eek:

With new product launches where there is limited stock, Apple always make sure that its stores have the most stock, ... then it stocks its partners. Hopefully after the bad press they got last year, there will be more availability this year (all around)!

22. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

8 at some stores!

23. MEDiphone macrumors member

Att

Just went to the ATT store and bought the 32gig.

Dude was super nice and stated that my iphone is being shipped for me, thus, if they run out, has nothing to do with me, mine will be there...

Since I was at the store, I decided to look at accessories since I had never held any of that stuff, just looked online...ATT guy came up and said, oh ya, "We will give you a free case too." sweet! Cut me a deal on a car charger too. I ended up getting an otterbox for $20 instead of $50 although I could of picked a free ifrogz lux or other.

So, all in all, I am stoked I went to the ATT store, I dont think I would of gotten free stuff/deals there ?

Also, I bought my APPLECARE at ATT store too so set for a few years
    d

24. dagomike macrumors 65816

If you're buying at a store, why not pre-order at AT&T? Camping out/standing in line at the Apple store just seems silly.

25. dagomike macrumors 65816

You can pick it up whenever you want. If your order gets filled, it's yours.