Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kuckuckstein

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2020
Today Apple is worth astoundingly more than in 2011, but it would be way better off if he still was at the helm. In the last ten years Apple made the most of a monumental loss.

If, as he said, Apple's best days are ahead of it, money will be just a small part of the equation.
To those who disagree - I think the true Apple fans (and that is not the crowd that just buys everything Apple puts on the market) would be more happy with a company that would be more sparkling, crazy and daring, even though that may not have resulted in the financial size and year after year business success, which Apple has these days.
In the Video, Apple marketing really picked what I see as the companies’ highlights: the Mac, the first colorful iMac, the iPod, the iPhone, the first generation of sleek MacBooks and the for me at that time so groundbreaking MacBook Air. There were many other devices released under Steve. But seeing that they put the finger on exactly the same products that I would have listed as the things that made Apple so special, shows me that they know.

Money can’t buy everything - and a financially super successful company is not equal to an exciting company. Today’s Apple is sleek and robust but far from as flamboyant as the 1997 - 2011 one.

But … the M1 is cool and I hope for some even cooler Macs soon. If not MacBook Air M1 it is

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I heard the news while on a train to Sydney Airport before flying to Hong Kong. Here are some pics of the apple store in Hong Kong a day or so after.

IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

mattdeezy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
To those who disagree - I think the true Apple fans (and that is not the crowd that just buys everything Apple puts on the market) would be more happy with a company that would be more sparkling, crazy and daring, even though that may not have resulted in the financial size and year after year business success, which Apple has these days.
In the Video, Apple marketing really picked what I see as the companies’ highlights: the Mac, the first colorful iMac, the iPod, the iPhone, the first generation of sleek MacBooks and the for me at that time so groundbreaking MacBook Air. There were many other devices released under Steve. But seeing that they put the finger on exactly the same products that I would have listed as the things that made Apple so special, shows me that they know.

Money can’t buy everything - and a financially super successful company is not equal to an exciting company. Today’s Apple is sleek and robust but far from as flamboyant as the 1997 - 2011 one.

But … the M1 is cool and I hope for some even cooler Macs soon. If not MacBook Air M1 it is
I would say that Airpods and Apple Watch, both post Jobs era, are definitely daring, sparkling devices. How many airpod clones are there out there now? Steve was obsessed with portable music. Im sure we all know the story about his obsession with the Sony walkman that led to the iPod. Airpods, with their battery case, wire free design are now the standard.

The Apple Watch was 100% daring. A watch you have to charge every night but is wonderfully customisable (bands, apps etc) and has literally changed the health and fitness world. Watches with health and fitness capabilities were a niche before Apple Watch, used by marathon runners and cyclists.

Both of these products draw direct inspiration from Jobs' legacy and the legacy of the 'old' Apple.

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
In the Video, Apple marketing really picked what I see as the companies’ highlights: the Mac, the first colorful iMac, the iPod, the iPhone, the first generation of sleek MacBooks and the for me at that time so groundbreaking MacBook Air.
Those were also Steve's successes. There's been plenty of recent success.

Sure, do I wish that the iPhones or iMacs had more significant changes year over year? Yeah, but that happened with Steve as well.

The iPad invented a product category, AirPods finally made bluetooth earbuds worth owning, and the ecosystem has never been stronger.

Lastly, the Apple Watch is literally saving lives every day. My Apple Watch called 911 for me after a bad motorcycle crash -- that's a mind-blowing innovation.

Steve made amazing progress and built an incredible team at Apple. That team is still producing incredible results and that's Steve's legacy.

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Thank you. I recently lost my best friend of 40+ years because I couldn't take any more of the bigotry he learned from Jordan Peterson. We argued for a year, but he kept getting worse. Peterson is very good at convincing you he's not saying the awful things he is saying. I brought my friend back from the malevolent influence of Ayn Rand, but I couldn't teach him the critical thinking skills needed to avoid being taken in by the cult of JBP. "Ridiculous and disturbing" is right. Also, painful.

Strong words, but if your definition of thinking critically frequently leads you to the total blacklisting of specific people (Rand, Peterson, your former friend) , maybe there's room to think a bit more critically?

Also you write that as if your friend died which is... interesting. I guess its comforting to have such a clear sense of good and bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmac4u

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
Strong words, but if your definition of thinking critically frequently leads you to the total blacklisting of specific people (Rand, Peterson, your former friend) , maybe there's room to think a bit more critically?

Also you write that as if your friend died which is... interesting. I guess its comforting to have such a clear sense of good and bad.
Specific people (like Rand and Peterson) are utterly poisonous grifters and fully deserve to be blacklisted.

• Love
Reactions: Murphintosh

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
August 8, 1997: At Macworld Expo

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.

I had used Apple products prior to 1997, sparingly, but seeing this presentation ... I knew I was an Apple fan not just of their products but because what they stood for, believed in, and tried to do right by all. That meant more to me than just the tech that looked great.

It is quite remarkable that someone in business has had this much impact, both on society and individual people as a whole, who were and are still today, inspired by him and his approach.

I cannot think of anyone else in recent times (alive or having passed) coming even close.

Reading your post and remembering those highlighted in Steve's Macworld Expo presentation of 'Think Different' ... it seems you've really missed a few.

Rosa Parks!
MLK Jr!
John F. Kennedy!
Muhammad Ali (born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr) - not just his boxing btw!
(although not himself as he was brutally died, and with events for 2yrs and long before leading up to George Floyds death the entire WORLD was rocked by that and you didn't have to be a specific fan or culture or nationality. I'd say that warrants consideration).

These people changed the entire world, probably saving it as well, by action or by cause & effect.

I do respect your post and views and I'll agree for the most part, I just think in the corporate world yes Steve cannot be touched how he inspired, impacted lives not just how we think or work but how we truly feel while doing any of those things.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tim made Apple very rich, but he did a lot of things Steve wouldn't have. Buying Beats, pouring money into the Apple TV network, borrowing money, going woke and starting charities

Why would you say Tim did things Jobs wouldn't and list pouring money into the Apple TV network?
You do realize Jobs was at the helm of Pixar and Disney right? I think Apple TV aligns quite well with Jobs, considering Apple TV device originally launched under Steve.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I had similar experiences with Macs back then. Mostly developing signals analysis/processing systems running Matlab and 4th Dimension on Macs augmented with acceleration using DSP-32 AT&T floating point DSP chips for an aerospace R&D/studies/systems company and some consulting.

Whoa... ZBasic! A blast from the past. While working at a different research/studies company in Silicon Valley I developed a Mac scientific calculator in my spare time to help me with my work as there were no good Mac calculators back then, other than clunky ones. It was written in ZBasic with Staz Software user interface libraries, and called zCalc. I eventually left starting a small business selling zCalc, mostly to government labs. And then marriage happened, forcing me to get a real job again. :)

View attachment 1857335
I remember (and used) ZCalc! ?

Reactions: citysnaps

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
{snip}
Reading your post and remembering those highlighted in Steve's Macworld Expo presentation of 'Think Different' ... it seems you've really missed a few.

Rosa Parks!
MLK Jr!
John F. Kennedy!
Muhammad Ali (born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr) - not just his boxing btw!
(although not himself as he was brutally died, and with events for 2yrs and long before leading up to George Floyds death the entire WORLD was rocked by that and you didn't have to be a specific fan or culture or nationality. I'd say that warrants consideration).

These people changed the entire world, probably saving it as well, by action or by cause & effect.

I do respect your post and views and I'll agree for the most part, I just think in the corporate world yes Steve cannot be touched how he inspired, impacted lives not just how we think or work but how we truly feel while doing any of those things.

Ah, when I said that I was only referring to business (corporate) people who have changed the world. As you rightly say there are those, and a great very many others outside who have been far more altruistic.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Why would you say Tim did things Jobs wouldn't and list pouring money into the Apple TV network?
You do realize Jobs was at the helm of Pixar and Disney right? I think Apple TV aligns quite well with Jobs, considering Apple TV device originally launched under Steve.

Correct. AppleTV was actually the final project Steve wanted to "get done right" had he lived longer. And maybe AppleTV might have been better executed had Steve lived a few years longer.

Oh well, we'll never know.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.