MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a target of becoming carbon neutral across its entire business and manufacturing supply chain by 2030.

Apple_commits-100-percent-carbon-neutrality-for-supply-chain-and-products-by-2030_07212020-800x450.jpg

Apple is already carbon neutral across its global corporate operations, and this new commitment means that by 2030, every Apple device sold will have net zero climate impact.
"Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they've helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change."
Apple plans to reduce emissions by 75 percent by 2030 while developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25 percent of its comprehensive footprint, according to its newly released 2020 Environmental Progress Report. Apple says it will provide a roadmap for other companies looking to reduce their impact on climate change.

Separately, Apple told the BBC News that any company hoping to become a supplier would have to commit to "be 100 percent renewable for their Apple production" within 10 years.

Apple today also posted a video on its YouTube channel called "A climate change promise from Apple," promoting its pledge to make its carbon footprint non-existent by 2030.

Article Link: Apple Commits to Being 100% Carbon Neutral Across Entire Supply Chain By 2030

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
What about the hundreds of thousands of Apple employees exhaling earth destroying CO2 every second of every day?
Good thing our lungs aren't terrifically efficient. We exhale about 70% of the oxygen we suck in, so probably safe to say we don't produce that much (and that 70% is only 20% of the full intake, rest is pretty much nitrogen.)

I knew high school biology would be useful one day...

Comment

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
What about the hundreds of thousands of Apple employees exhaling earth destroying CO2 every second of every day?
Well, that’s the baseline for everybody and every single company. So all the other trillion companies have that same baseline plus un-commitment to be waste free.
[automerge]1595336535[/automerge]
Make ALL batteries user replaceable Tim! The battery in the AirPods are dead After 2-3 years. What a waste.
Oh no, really? Do they replace it or “AppleCare it”? I just bought a pair of AirPods Pro, which I’m enjoying incredibly a lot, but I do have to put them once a day for a few minutes on the charging case. It usually serves as a break pause for the midday, but if it gets considerably worse, not cool.

Comment

quatermass

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
Why can't anyone use the term properly? It's 'carbon dioxide' - a compound, and not 'carbon' - an element. Diamonds are carbon, graphite is carbon... You'd think if it was so important they'd at least be able to use the right word.
Wonder why no-one is bothered about water vapour... but if you really want to be 'carbon dioxide neutral', you better back nuclear.
No, seriously... this woman was a former 'Extinction Rebellion' activist, and after actually doing some research, has changed her mind.
One down, several million to go...

Comment

quatermass

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
Good thing our lungs aren't terrifically efficient. We exhale about 70% of the oxygen we suck in, so probably safe to say we don't produce that much (and that 70% is only 20% of the full intake, rest is pretty much nitrogen.)

And as CO2 only comprises 0.0407% of the dry atmosphere, we may safely assume the effect would be minimal.

Comment

hagjohn

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
It is a beginning but they are still far from being carbon neutral, as a total company, including suppliers and the yearly consumption of new products. I'd be more impressed if they invested more of their 200 + billion they have in new battery, electronic parts and screen tech, so users use less energy on a daily basis.

Comment

star-affinity

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007

Yup:

By breathing out, we are simply returning to the air the same CO2 that was there to begin with.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.