Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It'd be nice if Apple was choosing to lead instead of follow.

Microsoft already committed to being carbon negative by 2030 and to have completely undone all of their lifetime carbon emissions by 2050.

Reactions: Good User Name

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2016
It'd be nice if Apple was choosing to lead instead of follow.

Microsoft already committed to being carbon negative by 2030 and to have completely undone all of their lifetime carbon emissions by 2050.
Not everything needs to be a competition?
[automerge]1595340228[/automerge]
Wish they could commit to getting the ECG feature working on my Apple Watch in Australia.
That’s an Australia thing, not an Apple thing.
[automerge]1595340329[/automerge]
It is certainly a good goal Apple, but it would also be nice if you committed to fixing your poor software quality control by 2030 as well. Somehow though, I’m pretty sure that is not a priority under Apple’s current leadership.
First of all, I have no idea how either of those are related. But secondly, the environment is much more important than your petty complaints about useless minor annoyances.

Reactions: tranceking26

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
YAY. Anything for them to get to carbon neutral, and prompt other companies/suppliers to do the same.

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
Really cool!
Hopes it also count for nuclear energy

Apple is making a lot of effort (more than other company by far, even if it's not perfect) and I'm happy to be one of their customer
Actually yeah, and you even got some downvotes. There’s a lot of free hate towards Apple because it’s expensive, elitist, etc... or because they use Foxconn, they pay workers $5 an hour and people have killed themselves due to working stress.
But those same Greta like followers would rather put their money to a company that is not even hinting at environmental approaches just to save a few bucks (there’s a price to pay for clean products), would rather that worker be paid $1 an hour somewhere else or even better be completely substituted by a robot for a total of $0 an hour for that person who will still risk off-ing themselves (even more likely, less financial muscle, more stress, more issues).

tegranjeet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
Boulder, CO
Another political stunt.

A friendly reminder that “green energies” utilize massive amounts of hydrocarbons to get started and for maintenance. In the end, nothing that we do based around consumption is “carbon neutral”.

The sentiment isn’t wrong, yet misguided.

“From the top”, if we really cared about reducing hydrocarbon use, we would go all in for nuclear energy production.

Better yet, from the bottom, we can all learn to consume less, including me...

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Until Apple offers consumers a valid option to purchase an iPhone with an easily replaceable (by the user) battery and supports Right To Repair, this is simple hypocrisy. Almost incalculable environmental damage (that kills people) from rare earth mining needed to produce phones. Not everyone wants to support this model, but this post will certainly be flamed by those that do, and Apple cultists who believe Apple is a model for recycling (a lie perpetrated by Apple PR), and the most damaging rare earth elements in phone can be recycled (mostly not true). Note: I said "option". Keep making the current iPhone design Tim, but give those that really do care the option to not partake in the throw-away culture Apple has created, and perfected in its pursuit of max quarterly revenues. Tim & Apple will never do this, because it will be an admission of the above, and more than anything else Tim & Apple pray to the Gods of Branding and Profit before those of Truth and Accountability.

DeputyFife

macrumors member
May 28, 2020
First of all, I have no idea how either of those are related. But secondly, the environment is much more important than your petty complaints about useless minor annoyances.

I agree environment is more important, but honestly the tech company is supposed to be a tech company first priority. Leave carbon goals to governments. Trust me. California will mandate that and more for them. They should focus on their mission and less on quasi-statehood.

• Love
Reactions: Huck

hans1972

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2010
What about the hundreds of thousands of Apple employees exhaling earth destroying CO2 every second of every day?

Apple will commit to only employ people with a low resting heart rate.
Also no farting will be allowed in Apple Stores.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2016
I agree environment is more important, but honestly the tech company is supposed to be a tech company first priority. Leave carbon goals to governments. Trust me. California will mandate that and more for them. They should focus on their mission and less on quasi-statehood.
Apple is not a tech company.
They are a company, who happens to make technology. However, they could discontinue all of their computers, and phones, and any other product they make, and start selling toilet paper if they wanted to.So i’m happy that they’re making technology, and caring about the environment. It’s just a win-win situation. As for governments, have you seen the US government? They couldn’t give a rats patootie about the environment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G4
Sep 11, 2014
Good lord this commercial is shot in a way that is so creepy. I know Apple goes for a certain look in video and print campaigns but the problem is this is way too close to how the setup in “Servant” looks. “Servant” is about a creepy baby and his creepy family and his creepy nanny. There’s the same weird lighting that is supposed to be cool and edgy but looks unfriendly and gloomy, as is fitting for a show meant to be unsettling.

A disembodied gravelly voice talks to this baby here and it takes a few sentences for you to realize it’s not some random demon dropping in. Jeez. I’m calling in a shaman or a priest or ghostbusters if I’m that baby’s mom and I hear THAT over the baby monitor.

Apple, don’t make an uplifting commercial featuring a baby look like your horror show featuring a baby. :eek:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2016
The point is that it's just another gimmick to get you to keep paying MORE for Apple products.

So you can feel good about yourself no matter how much of a sh$thead you are. :D
Majority of people who buy Apple products have no idea about any of their environmental advancements. They buy the phones, or the computers, because they look cool, or because they were recommended to them.
I know it’s kind of hard to believe, but most people don’t care about what phone they use.

DeputyFife

macrumors member
May 28, 2020
Apple is not a tech company.
They are a company, who happens to make technology. However, they could discontinue all of their computers, and phones, and any other product they make, and start selling toilet paper if they wanted to.So i’m happy that they’re making technology, and caring about the environment. It’s just a win-win situation. As for governments, have you seen the US government? They couldn’t give a rats patootie about the environment

Well I was talking about California government...and you’re the first person I have heard say Apple isn’t a tech company...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.