Apple compensation gift for delay and DOA Macbook Pro (early 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jens Engels, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jens Engels, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

Jens Engels macrumors member

Hey

After eagerly waiting, i recently (yesterday) received a DOA (Dead on arrival) custom Macbook Pro (early 2011) :(! So i called applecare and they told they would replace it with a new one. But they also talked me about a compensation gift for the trouble it has caused (what is very fair). But i have to call them back on monday (as costumer relations is working then).

So i was wondering what do they mean with a compensation gift? is it like an accessory for my macbook pro or an upgrade for my macbook pro? or a gift card or something?

anybody already had a compensation gift? let me know :)!

Thanks

2. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

tell them to give you a higher model and a free car.

3. bniu macrumors 6502a

I scored a magic mouse, a quiet upgrade to 8GB RAM, and got really fast shipping on the replacement unit for mine.

4. 184550, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

184550 Guest

Some of the experiences I've read on here over the years usually focus around a ~$100 giftcard/ discount. The amount goes up or down given the severity of the incident.

5. Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

Wow, is it standard or did you have to ask for it or something? I also would really love the fast shipping now :)!

i think that's a fair compensation too, as i will need a sleeve to protect my macbook!

6. Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I've received a free keyboard and smart cover for my iPad 2 being delayed.

8. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Although I've never had this experience, I'd love to hear about your compensation. Keep us updated !

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That's awesome, let us know what you get. There are not many companies out there that offer such great service.

10. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Whatever the compensation is, it'll be better than the $2 coupon Gatorade gave me when an entire case of their bottles wouldn't open!

11. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

I received a $200 credit back to my card for my MBP when they c0cked up my order back in '08 - long story - , and last year I received a $100 promo code for the online store when they sent me three DOA ACDs in a row. I used the promo code on a refurb 3rd gen iPod Touch, but they sent me a 2nd gen by mistake. This resulted in an upgrade from the 8GB model to the 32GB, which was all they had left in stock when I called AppleCare :D The first two situations were handled by Customer Relations, the third by an AppleCare supervisor.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I think it'll either be a free spec bump (RAM, or HDD, or CPU) and/or a gift card.

13. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Assuming I hadn't ordered it - I'd ask for free AppleCare on the laptop or maybe a credit at the AppStore :D

14. Locodice macrumors regular

I'm pleasantly surprised that Apple even think of offering a compensation gift.

Really nice of them to even bother many companies don't.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It'll be a gift card for a Mac Pro, 27" ACD and an iPhone 5.

16. bniu macrumors 6502a

the deal with mine was I was supposed to get overnight shipping on my replacement unit but it somehow got messed up and became standard shipping. I called in to ask if they could turn it back into overnight but apparently, it was at some prepare for shipment stage so they couldn't do it, so in return, they offered me a free magic mouse. Afterwards, I guess they tried again on their own and got it quietly bumped to 2 day shipping. Then, when it arrived, the replacement came with a quiet bump to 8GB RAM. So the Magic Mouse was the only thing offered explicitly to me, the other two were unexpected bonuses.

The only thing I wasted was two trips to Fry's as well as having to send back the original Crucial 8GB kit that arrived DOA.

17. Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

Wow, they sure have an AMAZING costumer service! this COULD really sound like my story, as i also allready ordered the crucial's 8GB's (but then i will just send them back and ask for a refund). I hope my replacement get's an overnight shipment too as i'm really exited to get it! too bad i already have a magic mouse :). but i can sure use a nice protection sleeve to keep it from harm :)!

We'll see tomorrow! if not, i would already be very happy with a fast shipment of my new one! I will post how it all worked out for me.

Wish me luck!

18. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Dead HDD after a few months & magsafe.

Nothing :p

19. altecXP, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

altecXP macrumors 65816

I got a Magic Mouse and free expedited shipping on mine. They offered to give me a free upgrade to 8GB of RAM, but I already had RAM I was planning to install.

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

These are pretty great stories and is exemplary of Apple's great customer service. :D

21. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Ask for a time capsule. You might get one considering that they probably want to phase out the old ones.

22. Jens Engels thread starter macrumors member

Okay today talked with costumer service from applecare in ireland :)! my new hopefully "working" macbook is on his way :)! They gave it priority they say, but its still on standard shipping.. 17th i should have it :( 10 more days!

They said i was selected for the compensation program, but that will be when my macbook arrives.

I really hope i get the new mac os x lion with it too, as the macbook has been re-orderd today.

if i get my macbook the 17th it will be one month that i have waited for it. pff i want it now :)!

23. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Lion doesn't come out until July

You don't get Priority overnight? My repair got done today and will be at my front door by 10:30 AM. Life is good :cool:

24. randomrazr macrumors 65816

dude lion doesnt come out till july LOL

i got a free set of harman kardon speakers

u jelous?

25. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I think you'll be the one that's jealous when his MBP ships with a new car! :p