Apple Concerned about $199 Playbook Sale ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSMac, Nov 24, 2011.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

In Canada, the $199 16GB Playbook sale is meeting massive massive demand.
    Every retailer sells out of 1000's of them within minutes when put online.
    People lining up and fighting over them in stores.

Sale also, looks very very popular in the US too.

Completely unexpected for a device that the public ignored for the 1st 8 months.

Any concern for Apple, is every Playbook sale a lost iPad sale,
    will it be harder to get interest at the $500 level for a tablet now?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Seriously have you used one? The a pos

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

people buying these were never going to fork out the money for an iPad anyway so I don't think its too much of a concern.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Most find the PB useful are BB users, and many of which are apple (iPhone) haters anyway. Others who are just buying because of the price tag. Most of these people aren't interested in $500+ tablets anyway.

The PB is in the same category as kindle fire. I don't think the PB will make any signficant impact as their app world is seriously deficient.

5. Nathan21585 macrumors member

I picked one up for my fiancé for Christmas and played with it for a little while to see if it was worth it. I returned it yesterday cause I just wasn't good enough, even at $200. My main complaint was that there is no easy way to read books on it. They have a Kobo app but no Kindle or a way to sideload books.

6. *LTD*, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

[​IMG]

Apple probably knows the reason for any spike in PlayBook sales. It's a POS that's been priced to move. That is all.

Apple's only concern would be future iPad buyers tripping over themselves to get this POS and risking injury, which might prevent them from getting an iPad sooner.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Sounds like the exact same hoopla that went on with the TouchPad. And even though the Touchpad is the top selling non-iPad out there, it still didn't make ANY dent in the iPad market since this is a section where there is more than enough room for a few players to be successful. And lets be honest, of those two or three companies that will find success in tablets then one of them will NOT be RIM.

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It would be interesting to see the statistics on post holiday returns of the PB units being sold now.

9. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

playbook is junk, all they are doing is clearing out old inventory to be done with it.

10. dionnfr macrumors member

Why would Apple care what they sell them for, the Playbook can only get emails when theathered to a Blackberry phone. Now if they ever get a native email client then they might have a product. since the IPAD already account for 68% of all tablet sales and the IPHONE has surpassed Blackberry in sales I don't think Apple is even taking notice.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

I own the Playbook and ipad 2. I actually carry the playbook to work with me everyday. It is much more portable than ipad.

Do not bash it until you uodate its software. Yes RIM has been increidble late getting native email and calendar apps. The reason us well known. QNX is their next gen operating system and it has not been compatible with their secure servers.

2.0 operating system will finally be relessed by Feb 17th 2012. RIM finally showed email app demo this past week.

At $199, almost any full fledge tablet should be considered for the holidays. Plus ipad 2 is over 9 months into its cycle and still costs $499 retail.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Everybody knows that when the price of a product goes down from $500 to $200, that is the end of the line for it. It couldn't be sold for $500, so they get rid of their inventory for $200. That is way below the cost of producing it, and everybody knows that. It just means one competitor is leaving the market. Since Apple is not leaving the market, nobody expects iPad prices to drop.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

iPad 2 sales have been slowing down.

Let's see. You have two kids who both want tablets for Xmas.

Just be a parent and think about it financially. $199x2 is under $400.

Or two iPads for close to $1000.

The Kindle fire and all other tablets will put a lot of pressure on the iPad 2 sales this Xmas season. Plus iPad 2 is over 9 months old and those who wanted one have already purchased it.

I actually advise people not to get an iPad 2 at this point in its life cycle since the next one is probably around 3- 3 1/2 months out.

14. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Sold my iPad2 2 weeks ago and bought a PlayBook, I love how it perfectly syncs with my Blackberry. Just sad that it does not have a Netflix or Kindle but I have an actual Kindle for that

15. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

really? You willing to bet money on that date?

16. B.A.T macrumors 6502

Feb is about the fourth or fifth deadline that they have promised and have yet to come through on any of their dates.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Says who?

That's what they said when Apple sold the first million iPods. And when Apple sold the first ten million iPods. And when Apple sold the first 100 million iPods. :D

18. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

one more time, rim is dead, don't waste your money!!

19. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Playbook has done so poorly in the
    Market that RIM now is giving them away as a "free gift with purchase" when you buy BES. It's now equivalent to a cereal toy.

RIM is dying. Their market share is shrinking fast and they are now trading below book value, a clear sign that their investors believe that they will continue to do poorly. I'd like to see Apple buy them, simply because nobody else plays that well in the corporate secure email space. The Playbook would make a nice electronic headstone.

21. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

the only playbook apple should be worried about:
    [​IMG]



22. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The price drop of Playbook indicates its going to be discontinued soon, Apple has no reason to be concerned.