Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Saturday emailed some iCloud users to apologize for a bug that caused them to receive an email earlier this week stating their paid storage subscription plan had been canceled.

The emails went out to predominantly 50GB iCloud subscribers on Wednesday, causing some MacRumors readers to speculate that Apple was discontinuing the storage tier completely. Options to purchase some of the plans through macOS and iOS were also reportedly affected.

iCloud-tiers-issue-800x684.jpg

However, as predicted, the emails were sent in error. Apple has now followed up the errant message to clarify that it was a mistake and that there has been no change to users' subscription plans.

"You recently received an email incorrectly stating that your iCloud storage plan has been discontinued," the email read. "Your 50 GB iCloud storage plan is not affected and will continue to renew automatically.

"We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any questions, please contact us."

(Via AppleInsider.)

Article Link: Apple Confirms iCloud Subscription Tier Cancelation Emails Were Sent in Error

Reactions: Sunny1990

noraa

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
They should have offered a free month as a gesture of goodwill. I can imagine it prompted a few phone calls and unnecessary confusion / hassle amongst the affected customers.

Considering the 50gb tier is only $.99/month, a few month would seem like a pretty empty gesture...

now i see it

macrumors G3
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe both the emails are mistakes, or phoney, or maybe the second one is wrong & the first one was right. Or maybe...

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
My wife revived one of these emails, she's using the 50GB tier for hosting her photo collection.

Clarification from Apple is fine. Of all the things we could be getting out of shape about, this is pretty low down. Should this have happened? No. But no Ines access was cancelled or torn down so I think we're all good.

peterjames.org

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Portland, OR, USA
Maybe they'll offer iCloud storage family share plans at WWDC? To go along with iTunes Store and Apple Music family shares. Bundle in their long rumored OTA tv/movie service and pro apps and I'd gladly give Apple $100 a month for all of it!

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
They should have offered a free month as a gesture of goodwill. I can imagine it prompted a few phone calls and unnecessary confusion / hassle amongst the affected customers.
Why? It only happened for a few hours. No important files were deleted. Nothing broken. I don't understand why people demand retribution for small things like this. I saw way too many people asking for free months of Netflix a while ago when they had server issues for less than five hours. #1stworldproblems

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Why? It only happened for a few hours. No important files were deleted. Nothing broken. I don't understand why people demand retribution for small things like this. I saw way too many people asking for free months of Netflix a while ago when they had server issues for less than five hours. #1stworldproblems

Oh, I don't know.... a gesture of good will towards loyal customers. Apple talks a great game, but they are really lacking when it comes to the good will of their corporate speak. Something that would be a round to a 9th decimal digit is all, but would have been something for loyalty.

Reactions: jdillings

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
Or it would... in 2025-2030, when 50GB holds the equivalent to what 5GB today does.
Then next question: would apple last that long until even 2020?
Plus there are multiple due predictions and promises happen at that year.
My guess is that would never happen, still. Give away 5GB for free and multiply it by 5 million. That is 5PB, or 5000TB, quite a lot.

bsegel

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
San Diego
It wasn't just the 50GB users, I'm a 1TB user and I got the cancelation notices as well.

No apology from apple today though.

Paddle1

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2013
Isn't it cancellation not cancelation?

Edit: It's a variant apparently but I'm getting a red underline.

Anyway hopefully this didn't cause too much trouble for anyone.

MikeFromTexas

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
This is the kind of moronic nonsense that happens to organizations that get very large, unwieldy, and weighted down by their own vastness. No compensation was Required because nothing actually happened other than FUD.

Of course such an email should never have been sent. But brown stuff happens. What is really telling is how long it took them to announce that it was a mistake. Pure bureaucratic inertia and CYA.

VP #1 Are we cancelling the 50gb tier?
VP #2 Not that I know. Should we issue a denial?
VP #1Maybe we should check with VP #3 first?
VP#2 OK
VP # 42 of course we aren't cancelling it. That email is a stupid mistake. We will issue a correction. But first I am going to check with Tim.

Reactions: 69650

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Apple at WWDC: 'We're cancelling the 50GB tier. We find our users enjoy paying more for less.'

Reactions: 69650
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.