Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPad will no longer be able to be used as a home hub following the launch of iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS Ventura, and the HomePod 16 software this fall, Apple confirmed today.

home-app-ios-16.jpg

As discovered in iOS 16 code by MacRumors contributor Steve Moser, Apple says that the iPad will no longer be supported as a home hub. This information will be displayed in the Home app after updating to iOS 16.
A home hub is required to take advantage of features like receiving accessory notifications and allowing other people to control your home. You will not be able to view shared homes until those homes are also upgraded to the latest HomeKit. iPad will no longer be supported as a home hub.
With Apple dropping support for the iPad as a home hub, users will need to have a HomePod, HomePod mini, or Apple TV to take advantage of features enabled by a hub, such as accessing accessories remotely with Siri and using location-based automation features.

Apple's iOS 16 preview webpage suggested that the iPad would not be able to be used as a home hub, but it was not confirmed until now because in the first iPadOS 16 beta, it was still possible to set an iPad as a home hub. "Only Apple TV and HomePod are supported as home hubs," reads the website.

The wording in the code found in the second beta of iOS 16 suggests that Apple is removing the home hub functionality from the iPad. The company has not explained why the iPad will no longer function as a home hub, but it could be related to Apple's upcoming cross-platform Matter smart home standard implementation.

Coming later this year, Matter will let HomeKit users add more smart home accessories to their HomeKit setups.

Article Link: Apple Confirms iPad Will No Longer Be Supported as a Home Hub in iOS 16

• Haha
Reactions: u+ive

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The company has not explained why the iPad will no longer function as a home hub, but it could be related to Apple's upcoming cross-platform Matter smart home standard implementation.

Coming later this year, Matter will let HomeKit users add more smart home accessories to their HomeKit setups.

With these replies it's almost like people didn't even read more than just the title of this post... 🤦‍♂️

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
Surely this will be a cause for returns/lawsuits if customers bought an iPad because of the home hub functionality? I recently told a friend to buy some Homekit accessories instead of Amazon/Google stuff because I said she could use her iPad as the hub. That completely ruins her purchase/choice if her iPad upgrades to iOS 16.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The truth of the matter is, iPad was never reliable as a HomeKit hub. Yes, there are probably few exceptions, but it is often flaky and unresponsive. $99 for HomePod mini or $179 for Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) gets you far more dependable and capable HomeKit hub, with support for Thread.

but it could be related to Apple's upcoming cross-platform Matter smart home standard implementation.
This is solely an speculation tho.

The truth of the matter is, iPad was never reliable as a HomeKit hub. Yes, there are probably few exceptions, but it is often flaky and unresponsive. $99 for HomePod mini or $179 for Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) gets you far more dependable and capable HomeKit hub, with support for Thread.
So, you are saying the M1 Chip won't be compatible?

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I think the potential to have the iPad leave the house would be a huge problem for a home hub device. And for the price, it makes sense to use other devices.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
It’s time for Apple to finally release an AppleTV Console Edition, along with a proper strategy a la AppleTV+ for AAA gaming, they have the silicon and the war chest to take on Sony & Microsoft.

The higher-end M1 configs have PS5 level graphics and they could unite from iPhone to Mac to TV the ecosystem.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The question is WHY. C´mon, Apple, don´t make people buy Apple TV´s or Homepods just for greed.
Despite what many here always assume, I suspect Apple’s main motivating factors for this are: it doesn’t work as well as they’d like, and the market for it is vanishingly small, so it doesn’t pay for them to throw resources into making it work better.

Razorpit

Suspended
Feb 2, 2021
Surely this will be a cause for returns/lawsuits if customers bought an iPad because of the home hub functionality? I recently told a friend to buy some Homekit accessories instead of Amazon/Google stuff because I said she could use her iPad as the hub. That completely ruins her purchase/choice if her iPad upgrades to iOS 16.
Well her and the other person out there that actually knows about that functionality, and uses it as such, are going to be disappointed. I'm sure Apple is slated to lose a few ten's if not twenty's of dollars on that decision. 🙄

People travel and take the iPad with them. Homepods and Apple TV's generally stay at home.

So@So@So

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2019
iPad hardware is generally much more powerful than Apple TV hardware – so this does not make any sense to me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.