Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today revealed the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, all of which will support Qi wireless charging. Although Apple's own wireless charging accessory won't be coming out for a while, customers will be able to purchase charging pads from other accessory makers: Mophie, Belkin, Incipio, and more.

f1505240149.jpg

The iPhone's charging is based on the Qi standard, so users will be able to charge their iPhones anywhere they can find a Qi charging pad.

Article Link: Apple Confirms iPhone Wireless Charging Accessories Coming from Mophie, Belkin, and More

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Didn't Phil basically once say a couple of years ago that we shouldn't need a pad to wirelessly charge the iPhone, because needing a pad would defeat the purpose?
I'm actually kind of disappointed. I figured the reason Apple took this long to add wireless charging was because they were developing true wireless charging that didn't require some kind of pad.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I'm actually kind of disappointed. I figured the reason Apple took this long to add wireless charging was because they were developing true wireless charging that didn't require some kind of pad.

I thought they would have adapted something that either you plug into the wall then just turn an option on in settings to whether you want it to charge or not, or something you plug into the wall then an adapter that goes into the lightning port.

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013

I thought they would have adapted something that either you plug into the wall then just turn an option on in settings to whether you want it to charge or not, or something you plug into the wall then an adapter that goes into the lightning port.

I thought they would have adapted something like just snapping your fingers or tapping your heels together and the phone would be charged. Disappointed.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I thought they would have adapted something like just snapping your fingers or tapping your heels together and the phone would be charged. Disappointed.

I'm just saying that since they took this long, I figured they would've developed some new kind of true wireless charging. When Apple adds features later than everyone else it's usually because Apple has their own spin to make it ready for prime time, or more usable to the masses. If this was it, they literally could've added this Qi chip ages ago is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I'm curious about which Qi standard they are using. Does it support wireless fast charge? How long does it take to charge versus using a cable?

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Im just saying that since they took this long, I figured they would've developed some new kind of true wireless charging. When Apple adds features later than everyone it's usually because Apple has their own spin to make ready for prime time, or more usable to the masses. If this was it, they literally could've added Qi chip ages ago is all I'm saying.

Even crazier is they are promoting 3rd party accessories.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To be fair, Phil did mention specifically that this is finally the first OLED display worthy of the iPhone.

It's hard to appreciate this new OLED display based off watching it from a media device, versus what it actually looks like in person. I think that will change a lot of minds when they can actually physically see this new all OLED display in person.

Reactions: MickeyAlexander

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
K
I'm just saying that since they took this long, I figured they would've developed some new kind of true wireless charging. When Apple adds features later than everyone else it's usually because Apple has their own spin to make it ready for prime time, or more usable to the masses. If this was it, they literally could've added this Qi chip ages ago is all I'm saying.
Keep drinking the Kool-aid :)

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
It's hard to appreciate this new OLED display based off watching it from a media device, versus what it actually looks like in person. I think that will change a lot of minds when they can actually physically see this new all OLED display in person.
But all you needed to do was look at an old Samsung phone.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
And they also said OLED was awful

OLED had a noticeable red shift back then, making everything look pink. Even black looked pink. I still thought it looked pretty good though. And besides, Apple was having yellow tint problems at the time with their LCDs.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Rather useless, imo. Not as fast/powerful as regular socket-lightning chargers & way bulkier to carry around. Also these Qi chargers can’t be found as easily as normal electric sockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.