Apple Confirms iPhone Wireless Charging Accessories Coming from Mophie, Belkin, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today revealed the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, all of which will support Qi wireless charging. Although Apple's own wireless charging accessory won't be coming out for a while, customers will be able to purchase charging pads from other accessory makers: Mophie, Belkin, Incipio, and more.

[​IMG]

The iPhone's charging is based on the Qi standard, so users will be able to charge their iPhones anywhere they can find a Qi charging pad.

Article Link: Apple Confirms iPhone Wireless Charging Accessories Coming from Mophie, Belkin, and More

2. DrJohnnyN macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

3. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The Wireless charging didn't interest me as much as I thought it would.

4. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Apple adapting open standards? *gasps*

I mean it's inductive charging. So it's still a gimmick.

5. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

Didn't Phil basically once say a couple of years ago that we shouldn't need a pad to wirelessly charge the iPhone, because needing a pad would defeat the purpose?

6. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I'm actually kind of disappointed. I figured the reason Apple took this long to add wireless charging was because they were developing true wireless charging that didn't require some kind of pad.

7. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I thought they would have adapted something that either you plug into the wall then just turn an option on in settings to whether you want it to charge or not, or something you plug into the wall then an adapter that goes into the lightning port.

8. RDeckard macrumors regular

RDeckard

I thought they would have adapted something like just snapping your fingers or tapping your heels together and the phone would be charged. Disappointed.

9. TechZeke, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I'm just saying that since they took this long, I figured they would've developed some new kind of true wireless charging. When Apple adds features later than everyone else it's usually because Apple has their own spin to make it ready for prime time, or more usable to the masses. If this was it, they literally could've added this Qi chip ages ago is all I'm saying.

10. jdillings macrumors 65816

And they also said OLED was awful

11. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

I'm curious about which Qi standard they are using. Does it support wireless fast charge? How long does it take to charge versus using a cable?

12. jdillings macrumors 65816

Even crazier is they are promoting 3rd party accessories.

13. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

At soon to be significantly increased prices, now that Apple is in play.

14. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Ok, dumb question but will the phone still be able to wirelessly charge with a case on it?

15. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It's not a dumb question. And I believe it should still be able use it with a case on.

16. MickeyAlexander macrumors newbie

To be fair, Phil did mention specifically that this is finally the first OLED display worthy of the iPhone.

17. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It's hard to appreciate this new OLED display based off watching it from a media device, versus what it actually looks like in person. I think that will change a lot of minds when they can actually physically see this new all OLED display in person.

18. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors member

K
    Keep drinking the Kool-aid :)

19. rGiskard macrumors 68000

rGiskard

20. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors member

But all you needed to do was look at an old Samsung phone.

21. jaack macrumors member

Looks like the mophie supports high-speed charging, whilst the Belkin supports charging with a case

22. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

OLED had a noticeable red shift back then, making everything look pink. Even black looked pink. I still thought it looked pretty good though. And besides, Apple was having yellow tint problems at the time with their LCDs.

23. one more macrumors 6502

one more

Rather useless, imo. Not as fast/powerful as regular socket-lightning chargers & way bulkier to carry around. Also these Qi chargers can’t be found as easily as normal electric sockets.

24. TrickyTree1984 macrumors regular

25. Marx55 macrumors 65816

Wireless charging = waste of energy = anti-ecological.