Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Licensing. CS6 was the last perpetual license Adobe offered. With CC you pay on subscription but if you ever stop subscribing you lose access to all your assets. Adobe could stop the madness if they implemented a simple “you get a perpetual license after you subscribed x period of time to the last version you subscribed to”. I would subscribe in a heartbeat if they did. The could even hike the price of re-subscribing if you subscribed and got a perpetual license. I would be fine with that. But they won’t do that. They want you over the barrel.

You do realize CC is far cheaper than buying outright don't you? Sure someone may not like a monthly fee but its a lot cheaper.

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
On one hand, I'm all for dropping 32-bit support. On the other, I have large Steam and GOG collections where pretty much every title is 32-bit. I know that probably 95% of titles wont be ported to 64-bit. This is going to hit Mac gaming really hard.

That and the fact that they are deprecating OpenGL and CL. They are moving to the proprietary Metal. This will kill most future game development on the Mac.

Reactions: SDRLS and Ulfric

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
You do realize CC is far cheaper than buying outright don't you? Sure someone may not like a monthly fee but its a lot cheaper.
Yes, as someone who has used Photoshop since v1 and spent 3 years on CC Photography Plan, I’m very well acquainted with the pluses and minuses involved. I don’t mind subscription software but I do firmly believe there should be an exit ramp when you leave that doesn’t prevent you access to your assets. With Adobe you have limited usage of Lightroom after you leave and that’s it. And when they eventually discontinue the desktop version (probably in several years) then maybe not even that. I prefer options where my assets are accessible after getting off the hamster wheel.

CC is a great plan for many businesses. It doesn’t necessarily make sense for individuals and punishes some of us with their decisions/direction.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I wonder if they will kill off DVD Player. It’s among the last of the 32-bit apps on 10.13. They sold the MD101 with the SuperDrive until late-2016. So far it looks like Apple has no plans to update it to 64.

Honestly it’s not really necessary but many people have tons of optical media. VLC will continue to play everything of course. QuickTime 7 and iDVD are also likely to cease working in the future although I do not have them since I bought my first Mac in 11/2016.
[doublepost=1528224148][/doublepost]

CC is not a bad deal especially the photography plan for $10. Still there are many people who would rather pay $700 one time and don’t care for future updates. Photoshop has honestly been mature for a long time now. The extra features added every year are not game changing nor really necessary but just nice to have.

Reactions: j562345 and SDRLS

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Apple kills off more things than it invents. For a company that claims to be environmentally friendly, they are littering landfills with otherwise usable Macs & iPhones that they deem unsuitable for you to continue to use at their discretion.

And virtually every Mac game I own will no longer work. Thank You Timmy! :mad:
[doublepost=1528227509][/doublepost]
Apple's 'DVD Player' and iDVD are STILL 32-bit programs.

Optical media is now making a massive comeback with the advent of M-DISC, because of its 1000 year lifetime. Governments and industry alike are now utilizing optica media, (M-DISC) because it is considered the most stable and longest lasting data storage that exists today.

More of our clients are asking for things to be delivered on M-Disc DVDs (and Blu-rays)

Ironically, Apple gives no warnings that DVD Player and iDVD are 32 bit. Will they just disappear like Apple is prone to do? If so, that is truly despicable. :(

Reactions: Val-kyrie

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
What makes you say that? AFAIK all macOS since Lion (10.7) can be run in a virtual machine legally.
Apple's EULA is not clear about VM use outside of the narrow confines of personal, non-commercial software development and/or testing. It specifically prohibits VMs for service bureau, timeshare, terminal sharing, and "similar" uses. If I install (assuming it's still available) an instance of MacOS Sierra in a VM on a machine running Mohave, is it legal? Running old 32 bit apps in the VM seems to fit the definition of terminal sharing.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Yes, as someone who has used Photoshop since v1 and spent 3 years on CC Photography Plan, I’m very well acquainted with the pluses and minuses involved. I don’t mind subscription software but I do firmly believe there should be an exit ramp when you leave that doesn’t prevent you access to your assets. With Adobe you have limited usage of Lightroom after you leave and that’s it. And when they eventually discontinue the desktop version (probably in several years) then maybe not even that. I prefer options where my assets are accessible after getting off the hamster wheel.

CC is a great plan for many businesses. It doesn’t necessarily make sense for individuals and punishes some of us with their decisions/direction.

I understand. I just wasn't sure if you did the math before or not. I know two people who paid a lot more for disk versions of Photoshop than they would have just subscribing to CC and wanted to make sure you weren't in that boat.

Reactions: nwcs

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Agree with a few others on this thread -Mojave is going to be the last modern ‘classic’ version of macOS / OS X - so Apple are making it a good one. Which is great news.

I suspect that next year’s version and marzipan will bring with it a UI revamp and major cruft clearing as Apple gets macOS ready for ARM.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Agree with a few others on this thread -Mojave is going to be the last modern ‘classic’ version of macOS / OS X - so Apple are making it a good one. Which is great news.

I suspect that next year’s version and marzipan will bring with it a UI revamp and major cruft clearing as Apple gets macOS ready for ARM.

MacOS on ARM is going to suck so bad. And there will be no Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field to mesmerize the Fanboys anymore into believing it's so much faster. That is when people will start gradually switching back to Winblows and Android sadly.

Tim Cook is not a tech guy. This is NOT his pay grade. I know, Jobs was not an engineer either, but he had a better sense of what he could make a success and a better knowledge of technology and when he had to do the master showman routine, he ruled. Tim Cook has none of these skills sadly.

Reactions: SDRLS and Val-kyrie

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple kills off more things than it invents. For a company that claims to be environmentally friendly, they are littering landfills with otherwise usable Macs & iPhones that they deem unsuitable for you to continue to use at their discretion.

And virtually every Mac game I own will no longer work. Thank You Timmy! :mad:
[doublepost=1528227509][/doublepost]

Ironically, Apple gives no warnings that DVD Player and iDVD are 32 bit. Will they just disappear like Apple is prone to do? If so, that is truly despicable. :(

Looks like the possibility of DVD player is updated in macOS Mojave, for it has a new icon. For developers who currently have the beta, is this correct?

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I guess the work around for this will be to just boot into windows. Until they do the whole arm cpu transition. That transfer will be a massive pain i imagine. Maybe theyll finally move to mac os 11 when that happens

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
This basically means that on rumored ARM Macs Apple will not use the same system of 32bit x86 emulation that Windows 10 currently has. Or they will use it getting all people with legacy 32bit Mac apps onboard ("here, use an ARM Mac")

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So, one more year for MilkyTracker... ^.^

I was thinking it's gonna be sooner. :)

Just run ScreamTracker in Dosbox :D
[doublepost=1528269426][/doublepost]
This basically means that on rumored ARM Macs Apple will not use the same system of 32bit x86 emulation that Windows 10 currently has. Or they will use it getting all people with legacy 32bit Mac apps onboard ("here, use an ARM Mac")

They won't run 32 bit at all. Definitely think this is because apple have been at work on recompiling or working on a higher speed translator for x64->ARM64. the work to support 32 bit, if it could be reduced to zero by not supporting 32 bit would be a lot less hassle :D

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Just run ScreamTracker in Dosbox :D
[doublepost=1528269426][/doublepost]

They won't run 32 bit at all. Definitely think this is because apple have been at work on recompiling or working on a higher speed translator for x64->ARM64. the work to support 32 bit, if it could be reduced to zero by not supporting 32 bit would be a lot less hassle :D

Actually, what happened this morning is that it seems I am not only one interested in the status of 64 bit support for MilkyTracker on Mac. I have found developers GitHub page, and it someone already bit me to it, by asking the same question I had.

Response was that 64-bit support will be there as soon as Apple drops support for 32-bit apps completely.

So, good. ^.^

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
It’s not like 64bit just came out. Makes sense, devs have had plenty of warnings

The core problem is that developers don't develop most applications forever, but that doesn't make them bad applications, or even needed applications. (A classic example is I spent all my money on Adobe's CS6 masters collection and I cannot afford their new subscription model.) I've been a software developer for a long time, and typically, not long after a product's final update, we can't even successfully compile the code anymore. And after 5 years, we move on to other companies.

Imagine if every item in your house disappeared when the manufacturer stopped selling new ones? Or if every time they repaired a highway you had to buy a new car to use it.

Yet, it would be trivial to provide an emulator for these older apps, but Apple is just taking a tack that forces most apps out of existence every 5 years. I can use a virtual machine with an older version of MacOS for now - but once Apple moves to ARM I'm not sure VMWare will keep up full support.

Trust me - NO developer updates an application for very long, because it costs almost as much as writing a new application - yet the update is typically free. The only exception is when it's a "versionless" app that's the primary (and popular) software title of a company and it still brings in enough revenue. But if Apple just writes ONE simulator, they save millions of classic applications, many of which are vital to people on the Apple platform. The dark view of this is Apple's motivated by greed - if they keep killing old software, people will buy more new software, and their App Store revenues will increase.
[doublepost=1528299420][/doublepost]So yeah - to summarize, this is issue is not about apps that are in live development. I'm pretty sure all such apps get updated. It's about all the apps that are no longer in live development. Which unfortunately for me represents more than half of the most important apps I use everyday.
[doublepost=1528302118][/doublepost]
A virtual machine for InDesign CS6
It’s not like 64bit just came out. Makes sense, devs have had plenty of warnings

What kills me is that 64-bit x86 support came out just one year after Apple's transition to Intel, but everyone created 32-bit apps just because a few Macs in 2006 were not 64-bit compatible, and they didn't want to support two versions. IMO, this is the #1 reason for having so much time lag in the system. First Apps HAD to be 32-bits to support those few Macs, then it just because a lasting habit because 32-bit apps also work on 64-bit machines. Would it really have hurt Apple to wait until 2007 to switch to Intel?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Depends on how often you upgrade. I use Adobe's apps for personal use, I went from PhotoShop 5 to CS1 to CS5 (which I am still using). Would have been happy to spend another few hundred when I get my next Mac, but since I won't have that option, will be probably getting Affinity Photo and whatever else I can find to replace the Adobe apps I use.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
That and the fact that they are deprecating OpenGL and CL. They are moving to the proprietary Metal. This will kill most future game development on the Mac.
I think MacRumors posted the article about OpenGL/CL with a wrong title: they focused it in games. But games is not the issue here. The issue is graphics applications (scientific, 3D, etc...)... in the past, every UNIX graphics/scientific application could be compiled on MacOS and ran great. With Apple phasing out OpenGL/CL, that compatibility will be gone, and with it lots of apps. Of course games are affected, but they are not the main point at all.

Reactions: VictorTango777

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Yes, this is old news and Apple has given plenty of warning. People on this forum will still moan and grown about the change regardless.

There are probably good reasons why now to stop 32-bit drivers and apps and not that it is just evolution of technology.

if I remember correctly back in my security days, it may have to do with security holes etc. with drivers and coding. (my guess) the resent Spectra and the many other vulnerabilities associated with intel’s cpu’s may accelerate the need for exit. Again, just my thoughts and past experiences.

It's really one of the major differences between Microsoft and Apple.
Microsoft make a big deal about legacy and it does have its advantages, but then your OS is bloated with old drivers and code to run Win95 and even DOS (until relatively recently). It also limits you enormously.
And as you say, it's more often than not the legacy part of the OS that leaks security like a sieve. Open sockets anyone?
Apple have always swept away the old periodically and rebuilt from scratch meaning once you've got over the initial pain you have a lighter OS and a system designed to work on what's available today and it's more secure.
It's a philosophical thing they've had for ever they aren't going to change now and it's one of the things I like about Mac OS.

Reactions: Leo Kuhn and loby

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014

No it's not. At least it's not for me.

I use the Creative Suite Design & Web Premium and upgraded every two years for € 750 or so. That is € 375 per year or € 31,25 per Month for Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Acrobat and a bit more that I didn't need that much.

So the price about doubled for me.

And on top of that I would never – NEVER – use software that shuts me out of my own work once I quit paying.
[doublepost=1528465697][/doublepost]
What are the advantages of InDesign CS6 towards CC?

I can use it without paying every month. I can open my own work no matter what happens to the relationship between Adobe and me.

Reactions: LV426

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I wonder how difficult it would be to dual boot Mojave and its subsequent release.

I still use Adobe Creative Suite 3 and haven't really felt the need to update it since I use it infrequently at home. A shame my future choices are to give up Photoshop altogether or pay Adobe monthly.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Apple's 'DVD Player' and iDVD are STILL 32-bit programs.

Optical media is now making a massive comeback with the advent of M-DISC, because of its 1000 year lifetime. Governments and industry alike are now utilizing optica media, (M-DISC) because it is considered the most stable and longest lasting data storage that exists today.

More of our clients are asking for things to be delivered on M-Disc DVDs (and Blu-rays)
What's a DVD player good for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.