Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
It's as simple as saying "Fixed __ bug that caused app to crash when using >iOS13"
Ok let’s take this to reality - 15 little bugs fixed equals 15 lines of Changelog really no one reads.

- Fixed a race condition that could lead to a crash during app startup
- Fixed horizontal spacing in AutoLayout of Messenger view
- Fixed a memory leak in ..
- Improved error message
- Adapted new guideline from Apple saying
- Workaround a bug Apple introduced with ...

vs

- Improved stability
- New feature that lets you ...

This what the user wants to know. I even doubt Apple would accept this technical kind of release note - imagine 5 updates in a row ....

Reactions: brucemr

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
How so? It's transparant for the developer, which is literally all that's needed.
Are you implying the end user should know what % goes to the developer and what % goes to Apple?

I don't know what % goes to who from anything I buy because it's literally not my business. Imagine going to a store and asking who gets what % off your bill lmao.

No, I mean: what exactly is that 30% for? What is the breakdown? They are being hammered from all angles right now, and the seemingly arbitrary 30% cut is a big focus of that. This update addresses their rules and a developer’s ability to challenge them, which is the other big focus. I like the App Store, but I’m worried it’s going to see an app exodus if they don’t improve quickly.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
They want suggestions on how to revise the guidelines?
Here’s one: allow cloud gaming services!
So incredible offbeat to block innovation that could help propel iPhones, iPads and aTVs from okish gaming distraction to full on console competitors. Sorry, a bit OT but can’t stop myself ranting about this :cool:

PSeg90

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2020
St Petersburg, FL
Ok let’s take this to reality - 15 little bugs fixed equals 15 lines of Changelog really no one reads.

- Fixed a race condition that could lead to a crash during app startup
- Fixed horizontal spacing in AutoLayout of Messenger view
- Fixed a memory leak in ..
- Improved error message
- Adapted new guideline from Apple saying
- Workaround a bug Apple introduced with ...

vs

- Improved stability
- New feature that lets you ...

This what the user wants to know. I even doubt Apple would accept this technical kind of release note - imagine 5 updates in a row ....

@AndiG Thanks for telling other people what they should and shouldn't read. However, I do read every single line of a change log for new updates. If the developer is too LAZY to list the new features or fix an actual bug that I have experienced, then I have no reason to update the app. I need to know what you did to make this version different than the previous version. That's not too much to ask.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
It's as simple as saying "Fixed __ bug that caused app to crash when using >iOS13"

Look at the latest iOS update, they don't even mention the new COVID API in the changelog, there are a couple of features and then "bugfix".
If they don't bother putting everything in the changelog, why should developers?

Anyway, if there is a huge bug fixed, I write it in the message. But it has to be something affecting the majority of users, while most bugs in apps only affect a small user base.
If your app crashes all the time, chances are it doesn't even pass the app store review.
The example you give could actually be one of the few cases I'd write in the changelog, because if the bug is specific to an iOS version, especially a new one, I want to point it out it is fixed because users with a particular iOS version may wait to download the update due to the bug.

Reactions: PSeg90

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Only non-devs complain about the generic „bug fixes“ changelog line.

Most of my daily patches are about library fixes and performance improvements, nothing the end user would care about or understand.

Reactions: alien3dx

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
They want suggestions on how to revise the guidelines?
Here’s one: allow cloud gaming services!
So incredible offbeat to block innovation that could help propel iPhones, iPads and aTVs from okish gaming distraction to full on console competitors. Sorry, a bit OT but can’t stop myself ranting about this :cool:
Have you thought that Apple, as a business may not want to pursue that channel, and would rather stick to the prosumer and consumer personal computer lines. They have never shown an appetite to go after gamers, but have long attached themselves to those in the creative arts, and the education market.
Rule of business, pick your enemy well and don't commit to a battle that is unlikely to be won.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I've been a Software Engineer for about a decade. I understand the development cycle. Yet, I still value communication to end users. You can both say "WE LAUNCHED FEATURE XYZ!!!" and "We fixed a crash that could occur on workflow XYZ". Like I said, it doesn't have to be exhaustive, but if it's a bug affecting a lot of users, it might be worth point out. To a large portion of customers, I'm guessing saying a generic "We fixed bugs" seem lazy, and it looks like some users on this forum agree.
even some bosses dont have any idea flow and concept. i want fixed by tommorow!

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Agreed. If a user is experiencing a specific issue, having it listed (or not) in the release notes is informative and can determine a course of action.
it more on patch note , not technical note request. Let see i got ticket i create a patch note. What miss confuse is something like " Repair bugs suddenly appear on new update xcode, has to change everything because new update xcode is a mess again and we need to support new mess ios14 which in beta version. To many depreciate function because apple freakin lazy"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.