Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Macworld, Apple has confirmed the security flaw that was publicized yesterday that could allow unauthorized individuals to circumvent the passcode locking system on the iPhone.
“The minor iPhone security issue which surfaced this week is fixed in a software update which will be released in September,” Apple representative, Jennifer Bowcock, said in an email to Macworld.
A fix is promised for September to address the security issue. In the meanwhile, users are being told to set their double-tap preferences to direct to the home screen rather than favorites. This will prevent the flaw from being exploitable.

The promised September iPhone update will have to live up to high expectations. The list of issues to be addressed or new features to be released is ever increasing. The list now includes this security fix, fix for iPhone app crashing, 3G connectivity improvements (partially addressed by 2.0.2), and "push" background services for applications.

Article Link

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
The list is growing... ugh.

Any security issues should be fixed immediately. If they have engineered the ability to "kill" an app remotely, why can't they push a security update that seems simple to fix? Also, a "minor" security issue is just PR talk. Let's call it what it is: a serious flaw that allows unauthorized access to your phone.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
This better be a good update, unlike everything since 1.1.4. My contacts list still lags, I restart my phone way more often than before, backup still takes too long etc etc. I'm just not happy with it. I'm tempted to go back to 1.1.4 until they really make 2.xx worthwhile.

rezonat0r

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I bet we'll see 2.0.3 rushed out early next month, then 2.1 with push notifications in another month or so.

Still waiting for iP3G to be unlocked, myself. :)

bendodson

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
UK
One waterproof iPhone - http://www.extremepda.com/AQUAPACIPHONE.html - ;)

The september update certainly is going to have to be pretty impressive in order to deal with these problems that are slowly emerging. I still have problems with my iPhone 3G (now 2.0.2) slowing down so much that I can't type SMS messages - I usually have to do a restart to fix it. Also, today I had an update for an app which took about 20 minutes to install and crashed the phone twice which was particularly impressive.

I still love it though :)

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I have to say... this a device that is designed to be carried everywhere and contain all your personal information. It is also a theft magnet. You'd think they would be scrambling to fix such a security issue this week, not lumped in with a general update next month.

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Let's call it what it is: a serious flaw that allows unauthorized access to your phone.

Agreed, and I hope RIM/Palm/Microsoft are e-mailing execs now to point out how slow Apple are at fixing critical flaws (not because I dislike Apple, but because Apple will hopefully learn from the lost sale). Still not quite as scary as a remote exploit, as I'd consider leaving an iPhone out of sight insecure anyway: if I can hold it in my hand, can I fairly inconspiciously plug it into a palmtop in my pocket running a script to copy everything off it in a few minutes?

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
One waterproof iPhone - http://www.extremepda.com/AQUAPACIPHONE.html - ;)

The september update certainly is going to have to be pretty impressive in order to deal with these problems that are slowly emerging. I still have problems with my iPhone 3G (now 2.0.2) slowing down so much that I can't type SMS messages - I usually have to do a restart to fix it. Also, today I had an update for an app which took about 20 minutes to install and crashed the phone twice which was particularly impressive.

I still love it though :)

I won't buy one until it has a parascope! :D

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
I imagine that Apple isn't rushing to fix this problem because there is a simple workaround. If there wasn't any way to work around the problem, they would (hopefully) fix it more quickly.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
People are really over-reacting to this security flaw. Someone can look at your contacts list if you have the home-button double-click function set to 'favorites.' This doesn't seem to be a "massive," insane flaw of epic proportions. Hell, I don't even have a passcode enabled on my phone.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
yeah, people are going to riot if the apps keep crashing/freezing and typing keeps stalling. i'll be right there in the middle.

and how about acknowledging the cracks and fixing that while we're at it, eh?

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
http://gizmodo.com/5043260/apple-acknowledges-huge-iphone-security-flaw-calls-it-minor-announces-fix

Gizmodo isn't happy with apple's action and think the security flaw is "massive" rather than "minor", and should be fixed ASAP rather than next month.

*rolls eyes*

This *is* minor - when the user can fix it in a matter of less than 1 min I'd have to agree with Apple that it is indeed minor. I mean, it's not like turning off 3G, this is a VERY small burden and secondly - I don't know a single person who locks their phone so at least for me and the 15 people I know this isn't an issue anyway.

Yeah, yeah, it's not safe, I just don't leave my phone anywhere so locking it does nothing but hamper my ability to use the phone.

sears.d.charles

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
is it just me or have the rumors slowed down a lot?? like today there were only about 3 posted.... I wounder what has been going on.... and YES!! New fix haha I didnt really care mainly cuz my iPhone 3G has been working fine:p but i just wanted to point out the facted that the rumors have slowed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.