Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Argh! Who cares about the easily-fixable passcode problem?? Fix the damn apps crashing/music missing problem that so many people are having!

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
remote wipe

It pisses me off that in order to REMOTE WIPE the iPhone in the event it goes missing, the user must have MS Exchange. We should be able to call up our carrier, jump through a few security hoops, and have them do it. Or some other way. I'd pay good money for an app that would do this.:rolleyes:

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
An iPhone update "in September" != an iPhone update in a month's time. Thought it could mean that. :p

PROTIP: September begins in 2 days.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Apple is also supposed to provide additional GPS features (that include heading and speed, I believe) in the next firmware version so that we can get a decent turn-by-turn GPS app.

Apple is stating that the security issue is minor because, by the time the thief gets into your favorites, the battery will have died, and he or she will give up and just toss out the phone. The quick battery drain is actually a security feature!! Who knew?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
An iPhone update "in September" != an iPhone update in a month's time. Thought it could mean that. :p

Actually, it starts in a little over 3 days (at least in Cupertino which is what matters here).

Also, Sept 1 is a big holiday here, so maybe 4 days at the earliest.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Calendar tip: The USA and Canada have Labor day coming up on Monday, making this weekend a 3-day/holiday weekend. ;)

Don't expect an update in the next 2 days.

BL.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I won't buy one until the SMS plans come with 500 instead of 200.
And until the plans are lowered by $30.

Also, only if it comes with Ryan Ross.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Actually, it starts in a little over 3 days (at least in Cupertino which is what matters here).

Also, Sept 1 is a big holiday here, so maybe 4 days at the earliest.

As you missed me entirely, I wasn't saying that meant anything was coming on Sept 1. It meant people saying stuff like
...should be fixed ASAP rather than next month.
and
...fix such a security issue this week, not lumped in with a general update next month.
should consider September (ie next month) isn't very far off at all.

strydi

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
Saint Louis
*sigh...

and Backup lag, updated app location jumping, moving icons from page to page easier, MMS, copy/paste, wifi syncing, bluetooth abilities every other cell phone has...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
*sigh...

and Backup lag, updated app location jumping, moving icons from page to page easier, MMS, copy/paste, wifi syncing, bluetooth abilities every other cell phone has...

I would think that a security problem, 3G issues, and backup lag would take precedence over adding new features like MMS, copy/paste, bluetooth, etc. That waits for 2.1. What people are complaining about which are major problems NOW... that goes into this upcoming release.

BL.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
It pisses me off that in order to REMOTE WIPE the iPhone in the event it goes missing, the user must have MS Exchange. We should be able to call up our carrier, jump through a few security hoops, and have them do it. Or some other way. I'd pay good money for an app that would do this.:rolleyes:

second that. but i guess it's not only apple, it's also ATT that has to work on that. anyway, if they had optional full disk encryption with an extra password users could protect their data a lot better. it would also give you more time to remote wipe it.

iMacoo7

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Destin, Florida
Well it seems as though since they are stating September.This actually does not mean the beginning of September.So for all we know, this next update could be scheduled just like last years September update (If my memory serves correct).But then Again there could be an update the beginning of September for the critical aspects and the feature updates in the later part of September.

kevinwiz

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
socal
macrumors should clarify the title. i thought it was a hardware update. it should read "apple confirms september iphone firmware update"

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
or maybe you should just read more than the headline.

Yeah, but the headline doesn't give you the right type of information. You should get an idea of exactly what you're going to read before you click on it. It's like saying: "Apple to release Mac update in Sept."

Well... which type of Mac computer? Update in hardware or software or firmware? ;)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Apple just isn't making much sense to me anymore.

They release the iPhone, it's their pride and joy, it's another way to try and get people to switch over to Mac. All these new customers that are thinking about switching over to Mac see these problems. They see that Apple takes a month to come out with a crucial update. They start to think that if the iPhone is Apple's pride and joy, how long will it take for an update to be released for Mac. I just can't see it all relaying back to Apple well. Too many errors have been made since WWDC - MobileMe, iPhone 3G updates - that Apple really needs to shake the negative press off their back and surprise everyone. Of course brand new products will do it, but you still have to wonder how much longer this will carry on for.

As I said before, Apple just isn't make much sense to me anymore, it's extremely uncharacteristic of them to due what they've done. MobileMe didn't go anywhere near as planned; when has that happened before? iPhone 3G crucial updates take a month; when has that happened to another product before? Sure Mac OS X needs some crucial updates and it takes a long time and that the iPhone is essentially Mac OS X, but the fact Apple keeps waiting for the next month and doesn't release it bugs me. If something is that crucial, normally Apple has turned around and fixed it ASAP, but Apple's changed it seems.

There, I'm finished. I kinda just needed to vent on this issue and wonder if anyone else is thinking the same way.

Also, a side note, Apple's released iPhone related news at the beginning of the last few months, September 9th would fit in every way.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Still waiting for iP3G to be unlocked, myself. :)

Mine took 5 days to get unlocked. The carrier promises 10 days for the unlock to be processed.

A friends took 12 days and still wasn't unlocked - still "This is not an authorised SIM" after restore. Called the carrier up to complain and he just went over to a computer connected to the iTunes server, did a restore and the iPhone was unlocked straight away

The whole waiting game they make you do for the unlock is just a game - it can be done instantly.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmm...dunno i just have this weird feeling the september update will disappoint. Hopefully i'm wrong

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
i think if someone gets their hands on your iPhone and wants to steal information, no security patch from Apple is going to stop them!
the thing that bugs me the most is the lag in apps, keyboard, contacts and so on some times...
and the one feature i really want them to incorporate in the next update is
COPY / PASTE !!!!
guys, this is major business, we're supposed to have a kick-ass mobile computer, yet you can't eg. take a note and then copy/paste it to another app?!
wtf?!?!

Cannons

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
Apple has said there won't be "Push" notifications in this release.
Fix the article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.