Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
In my opinion... step one on the path to hosting all of your files in the cloud:

Not having to download any of your iTunes purchases ever again, if you don't want to.

You will have access to all of your music and movies from anywhere your Apple product has internet access. Even all of your previous purchases from the iTunes store will be remembered so you have access to your older catalog. (of course CD and DVD rips wouldn't not be included in this first step.)

And I predict we'll start seeing this come to fruition in 2011.

You'd have to admit, even for you in-home-storage-lovin' crew, this has great potential. :cool:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
To clarify, I'm not wholly against cloud backups; I'm just saying it's not for me. I backup regularly and also have off site backup storage. Granted, it's not as convenient as using the Internet to get off site, but I don't mind my own method.

dstankus

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
It's amusing that they're being forward thinking, but there's 3 major limitations.

1) Most people's home Internet speeds are mediocre, at best. This often means slow media uptake and delivery, which would be synonymous to a super slow HDD.

2) ISP's. Most ISP's suck. They overcharge per/GB, either have caps, or partake in traffic shaping. Large volumes of traffic usually slows their networks down exponentially, and they will be the weakest link in this system. Unless they ALL move to unlimited data and good speeds (10+Mbps w/o shaping), this plan will never work.

3) Of course people then bring up this point in light of 2, cellphone service providers. They're just as bad as your ISP, in fact in all cases, worse. They traffic shape, have horrible NAT filters, even more limited speeds, and worst of all, charge a hyper inflated cost/GB. If having 3G+ service meant that you could get unlimited data at good speeds per a reasonable price, then these cellphone providers could actually supplant regular ISP's, and everyone could have wireless Internet anywhere. Maybe someday.

The bottom line is that it's not going to work for at least the next 10 years.

Agree completely; this is what I was going to write, you just said it better.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
Apple has never been a B2B organization.

Just wait...

Apple stock isn't $300+ per share because everyone needs to own more iPod's. Investors see what's coming. Investors see Apple is staying one step ahead of everyone else. I don't see Dell tablets walking around my office. I see iPad's with VPN capabilities though.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
People are always talking about how big Apple's datacenter is but what I want to know is how does it compare to other big tech names active in cloud computing for consumers like Microsoft and Google. And what about companies delivering streaming content like Netflix?

How many datacenters do they have and how big are they in comparison? Does anyone know at all??? Seems to be a very poor job at reporting on this in the tech blogosphere.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I'd rather house my own data locally. K thanks bye

I agree - sort of. I want access my data on all of my machines, no matter where I am but there is not always network available which is bad for cloud based systems.

That's why I love dropbox ... You get full advantage of the cloud - all my data is on all my machines (and if I'm on a machine that is not mine, I can still access it through the web interface). But there are times where network is not existing (either no WiFi or too slow 3G) - in that case I can still access everything locally and it's synced back once you have network again. It's great - you get the best of both worlds.

If only Apple would get it's act together and improve MobileMe that it works more like dropbox - I still have some hope that this datacenter is (in part) for a beefed up iDisk. I'm willing to pay for this service if it is fast and reliable (I'm a 100GB payed customer at dropbox and wish they would offer higher storage plans) - iDisk right now is too slow and not reliable.

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
p.s. the air is way overhyped. Get a 13.3" macbook pro and slap an SSD in it and it will be cheaper than an air and better than an air in every possible way except thinness and weight...the macbook pro is already thin and light enough for 99% of people

I sure am eyeing that $999 MBP Microcenter deal. More and more everyday.

Chris

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Why does Apple need a data center? They should just store everything in the cloud, then there's no need for a data center.

Just put me in charge of Apple, and I'd save them millions.

Are you serious??? Oh wait, you were trying to be humorous. Sorry. I missed it.:confused:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
People are always talking about how big Apple's datacenter is but what I want to know is how does it compare to other big tech names active in cloud computing for consumers like Microsoft and Google. And what about companies delivering streaming content like Netflix?

How many datacenters do they have and how big are they in comparison? Does anyone know at all??? Seems to be a very poor job at reporting on this in the tech blogosphere.

Apple's not the only one building more data center capacity, if anything they are playing catch up with players like Google, MS. It takes many months to plan and build these centers and looking at Mobility growth in the past, say 36 months, these companies would have to drastically build out their infrastructure just to maintain status quo, even excluding adding new upcoming services.

P.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
My ISP says 'No'. The cloud remains a myth... I live rural, I can pay a fortune per month, the speed will always be crappy.

Should I start laying my own optical cables?!

For some, those are not clouds but the idea of cloud computing gone up in smoke.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
I'd rather house my own data locally. K thanks bye

True that.

If true, I wonder how they'll double the space. Whether they'll just add more floors or expand horizontally. From the picture, they look like they have plenty of room to expand horizontally. And I'm sure it'll be very hard to add more floors with causing an interruption of service.

I'm guessing that the majority of that data center is below grade (cooling and security). This is the case of the data center I work in. Luckilly my office is above grade, so I'm not one of the mole people. Anyway, this makes building upward a no go.

They probably use Iron Mountain to come over and pick up the tapes

Tapes? Really though? I work for a huge financial company, and we have our seperate PROD and BCP data centers spread around the country. Any tapes we use are kept on site. If they're moved off site we use our own armored trucks...not Iron Mountain.

Unless you're being snarky, in that case :)

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Žalgiris;11277951 said:
If your ISP sucks who cares how many terabytes you have in the cloud. I will keep my stuff at home too.

I actually have that problem. Unless Apple buys out my ISP I'll never be interested in this cloud stuff. No DSL where I am. :eek:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I would love to know what Apple is planning to do with this data center.

Here are my hopes:

1) They will use this to enable new features to be released in a software update to Apple TV whereby they will serve free ad-supported content to Apple TV users that will essentially eliminate cable TV as the middle man to getting shows from the premium television channels. They plan on hosting television shows to millions.

2) They will provide free MobileMe service as way to attract more customers to the Apple eco-system (to counter the free services offered by Google).

3) They will offer a cloud-based TimeMachine service whereby you can backup locally first and then to the cloud OR directly to the cloud (similar to CrashPlan).

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Rural areas do have sat-delivered internet as an option...and potentially soon, even remote cell towers will bring 4G or faster speeds to those not wired.

Dial-up is not the only option out there. You certainly don't have to be tied to your ISP these days.

I do agree though, faster up and downloads will be needed for this thing to work as a total solution. As a first-step though, I see the iTunes option just around the corner.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
The way many of you talk, you would think the internet was a new invention. The migration of applications and personal data to the cloud is already well underway, and Apple is catching up with this emerging model.

Most people have broadband access at home. Most people now have access to highspeed mobile networks via smartphones (you may have heard of a popular product called the iPhone?). The average user spends 80%-90% of their time in a web browser. Without internet access, most people would barely even use a computer. Millions already store e-mail, photos, and documents in the cloud. Apple has already moved AppleTV to a complete streaming model with no local video storage. Would they have done this if internet speeds were still slow and unreliable in most places, as many of you are claiming? There are huge benefits to storing data in the cloud in terms of accessibility, mobility, and yes, security.

I personally cannot wait for Apple to ramp up their data centers and cloud services. I really want to stay within Apple's ecosystem, but the pull of their competitors with more advanced cloud services is really powerful.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
the problem IMHO is always going to be that I can load a file off a local disk in the amount of time it takes just to get a ping across to a remote server.

The best way to make a high performance computer act like a C-64 with 1541 disk drive is to start hitting the could for more and more data reads/writes.

All the advances over the years in local storage access times can't be worth throwing away.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
the problem IMHO is always going to be that I can load a file off a local disk in the amount of time it takes just to get a ping across to a remote server.

The best way to make a high performance computer act like a C-64 with 1541 disk drive is to start hitting the could for more and more data reads/writes.

All the advances over the years in local storage access times can't be worth throwing away.

Tell that to Adobe... Every subsequent release of their creative programs seems to rely on better and better hardware specs, and is therefore more and more bloated... All the advances in CPU/RAM can't be worth throwing away either!!

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
What about the pipeline ... ?

If all of my video, music and PICS are going to be in the cloud? Apple better own the pipleline (cell and home!)! It will cost a TON of bandwidth $$$ to move all of that data around!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
This will be awesome

We all have our opinion about this, but I will share mine.

To the naysayers, I offer you this. Apple is targeting the majority, not any given minority. There will always be someone who wants full control, or secrecy, and that is fine. A MacBook Air with a TimeCapsue and a few terrabyte drives should cover your bases.

As for internet speeds, let be honest about file need. Most people work with small files. In addition they work with only a few small files. Not all, but most. Multiple succesful models for PaaS and SaaS exist. Look at Salesforce.com and Amazon's scalability. Google Documents is another one. For many, a reliable program that works and is fst enough is all they need.

Of course massive BluRay rips, DV footage etc. is not meant for broadband consumption. Sort of. We can stream HiDef and massive files, but it has limitation.

If you own an Air, or possibly future iOS devices, I am sure there will be ways to access external storage without the cloud.

So, here is one possible view of why this is a GOOD thing.

Imagine a world where all of your devices act as one extension of your workflow. My phone, tablet, home, and work PC, mobile or desktop allow me to access the same files, applications, and there is no synching or sending files, they are just instantly updated. In a business setting, you have share groups, and colloborative files. At home, photos and music and video can be shared among friends and devices. All of this driven with encrypted files and a combination of 4G cellular and WiFi. That or something close is the future.

Many major Fortune 500 firms already use cloud storage for their employees, both internaly and externally. Many Fortune 500 firms and universities already use off site facilities for data storage. There is no reason to fear your home data is any less secure than your bank statement with Citibank. That said, there is no foolproof security, but all the tinfoil hats in the world cannot protect you from every possibility.

Steve typically think in leaps and bounds. He plays the long game. Yes the Air is a nice machine and will work great for many but not all. Just as the iPad, various iPods and nearly any other consumer device in history. However, he is urging us towards a unified infrastructure where our lives are easier. I welcome the day when my home folder and files are always available and backed up and encrypted.

What are the limits of this technology. Broadband and access. Most of America is woefully behind the times for broadband. It is a fact and a sad fact. How do you combat this? Well, some level of local storage, and the fact the majority of people use small files. Even at dial up speeds, a typical word or excel opens in a few seconds. Cached on ever increasing sized SSD drives will alleviate much of the problem for many. The few that NEED large files at all times will have options open to them for local storage. It is not like they can take away your existing drives.

If I am out and about, we all know there is horrible high speed cellular ability, and when it does exist it is capped, limited and $$$$. Much like cable when it first started in the 1980's, the need and demand will reach a critical mass and the service will follow. Of course it will suck for some and be great for others. I myself have a FAST FIOS line and love it. Remember, Steve is playing the long game. 5 years from now and beyond. If you recall, 5 years ago we lacked much of the iOS lifestyle we have now.

When the first iPod was released, most people wondered why on Earth you needed a 5 gig device for songs. A decade later, we have iPhones, nanos and the like.The cloud will be ubiquitous and it won't just be Apple. We as consumers will have to adapt and business models will change, and change is hard. But we will and wonder how we lived without it all those years.

Yes, there will be hold outs, some for valid reasons and there will always be options for them. Maybe not an Apple option, but an option. They still sell mobile CD players. Why? Who knows, for those that refuse to go MP3 perhaps. There will always be local storage devices but as the world and society go to the cloud, you will find yourselves left behind.

Everyone thought Steve was insane for ditching the floppy. When did anyone last use one? Good riddance. Next, optical media. It is a dinosaur. Sure its common, but all digital is better. I love being able to download my apps and not wait for the UPS truck.

Your opinions may differ, but Apple has a solid long term plan here and will make the iOS/OS X platform very competetive in thie future marketspace.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
We all have our opinion about this, but I will share mine.

To the naysayers, I offer you this. Apple is targeting the majority, not any given minority. There will always be someone who wants full control, or secrecy, and that is fine. A MacBook Air with a TimeCapsue and a few terrabyte drives should cover your bases.

As for internet speeds, let be honest about file need. Most people work with small files. In addition they work with only a few small files. Not all, but most. Multiple succesful models for PaaS and SaaS exist. Look at Salesforce.com and Amazon's scalability. Google Documents is another one. For many, a reliable program that works and is fst enough is all they need.

Of course massive BluRay rips, DV footage etc. is not meant for broadband consumption. Sort of. We can stream HiDef and massive files, but it has limitation.

If you own an Air, or possibly future iOS devices, I am sure there will be ways to access external storage without the cloud.

So, here is one possible view of why this is a GOOD thing........

For this to work well they need more control over the means of distribution. They need to purchase a wireless provider/ISP. Cost, speed and customer service will tank this or at least prolong the rollout as the distributors hold Apple and others hostage. Maybe this is one of the big bold moves Steve refers to? Or maybe it is part of what was discussed with Obama?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.