Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is considering switching production of micro-OLED displays for future versions of the Vision Pro headset from Sony to Chinese manufacturers like BOE and SeeYa amid supply chain challenges, The Information reports.

apple-vision-pro-expanded.jpg

Sony, the current supplier of micro-OLED displays for Vision Pro, has apparently shown reservations about expanding its production capabilities for the components amid Apple's effort to ramp up mass production of the headset. Chinese technology firms BOE Technology and SeeYa Technology, on the other hand, are showing significant commitment to the technology, supported by local government initiatives. Apple is currently testing displays from these two suppliers for both a next-generation Vision Pro model and a future low-cost mixed-reality headset device.

If BOE and SeeYa can meet Apple's rigorous quality standards, there is the potential for them to outright replace Sony as the principal Vision Pro display supplier in the future. Even so, Apple's increased engagement with Chinese entities presents different potential operational challenges, evidenced by recent legal issues between Samsung and BOE, as well as various labor concerns.

Regardless, Chinese companies are already deeply integrated in Apple's current production processes for Vision Pro, with firms like Lens Technology and Genius Electronic Optical being key contributors to the headset's production. Likewise, Luxshare Precision Industry has replaced Taiwan's Pegatron as the primary assembler for the device.

Article Link: Apple Considering Shift Away From Sony for Micro-OLED Displays in Future Vision Pro Headsets

• Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Cue up about 1XX posts of product bash-a-rama, but I'm looking forward to this brand new Apple tech. There is such potential for a device that can show our ears anything in a realistic way and similarly make our ears hear sounds like we are there too. Bring it on!

IMO: this seems much more exciting than slightly bigger, slightly rounder, slightly faster, port change, colors, etc iterations of the existing mix... a truly ALL-NEW thing from Apple.

Last edited:

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Is vision pro technically vaporware until it is actually released?

Does everyone remember AirPower???! That turned out to be vaporware lol
Really?? AirPower was announced in Sept 2017 for a 2018 release date. Vision Pro has an expected release date of early 2024. How can it be vaporware if it's 2023??? The concept and passage of time should not be such an illusive concept to grasp.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Sony's gonna prioritize the OLED displays for their PSVR 2 headsets, so if Apple wants to get Visions mass produced they'll have to find someone else to get panels from. Why not Samsung? They got experience with HMD displays since they used to make Windows Mixed Reality headsets

• Disagree
Reactions: miguel cortez

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
What if Sony doesn't think Apple will sell enough units to justify the discounts Apple demands to get from them? The supply issue may be Apples inability to sell these to more than just YouTubers who will test and return them and a small for Apple number of rich people who pay anything to get Apple gear like the first generation iPhone, iPad and iWatch. All of whom came with high price tags but were slower and less useful than all that came after by a wide margin. Apple is just looking to make it as cheap as possible now to make up the years of R&D they spent developing it as quickly as possible. I just don't believe stories anymore of Apple selling so many things it just can't keep up. They have been at this game long enough to know how to produce their own products faster.

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Going to be a cool device but will probably wait a few years.. Gen 1 of anything is never that great.
Not in full agreement with that. I got the first gen iPhone on the day it was released in Ireland (15th of March 2008 — it still works today, by the way). It was an amazing upgrade from my Sony Ericsson, in every regard (except weight, perhaps).

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple has a history of starting with off the shelf components then over time developing their own in-house technology. To get these small and light enough to fulfill the vision of smart glasses everywhere, they're going to have to invent something that doesn't yet exist – or acquire a company who will.

Simplifying the pass through AR flow from having cameras input the outside world into opaque glasses to imitate the real world outside, to actually seeing the outside world with overlaid AR elements is going to require a screen that can become fully transparent while lighting up individual pixels for overlaying virtual elements.

Black would be their own pixels instead of absence of light. The latter already exists (variable opaqueness glass) while transparent displays are still in early stages. Both would need to be far more refined to work at the level required but if there's one company with the resources and motivation to accomplish this, it's Apple.

epox999

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Can't imagine this being a mass market product especially at the $3,500 price tag, curious how many of these they predict selling. Sony has only sold about 600,000-800,000 units of the PSVR2 and that's at 1/6TH the price of the Apple headset

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Sony's gonna prioritize the OLED displays for their PSVR 2 headsets, so if Apple wants to get Visions mass produced they'll have to find someone else to get panels from. Why not Samsung? They got experience with HMD displays since they used to make Windows Mixed Reality headsets
The displays for the PSVR are not remotely the same manufacturing process as the extreme resolution displays of the Vision Pro. Two entirely separate production lines.

Sony simply can’t produce these in quantity enough to bring their own manufacturing costs (and therefore Apple’s purchasing/consumer pricing) down enough for it to be a worthwhile investment long term.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
This product desperately needs its "$499 iPad 2" moment. Obviously we know it'll be well above $1999 either way.

This first gen ain't it. Frankly, the first 2 or 3 gens might not be it either.

Apple doesn't have a smash hit "an iPod in every Christmas stocking" at the $4000 price point... that's niche Mac Pro/iMac Pro territory for them. Yeah it'll sell, but not to the $999 MacBook Air customer.

I'm a patient man... but will Amazon or Google introduce a $999 "Alexa goggles" that eats their lunch and is 80% as good but 1/3rd the price? It's a possibility.

• Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Not in full agreement with that. I got the first gen iPhone on the day it was released in Ireland (15th of March 2008 — it still works today, by the way). It was an amazing upgrade from my Sony Ericsson, in every regard (except weight, perhaps).

Me too. But the issue with the first iPhone was that the screen was way too small.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Just gonna be the party pooper and mention that China is engaging in genocide against the Uighur Muslims. The biggest American companies in the world continue to look the other way and pump money into that totalitarian nightmare regime and history will NOT look kindly on it.

I wish Americans could be proud of our biggest industries and see that they support democracy and basic human rights, but they don't, so maybe it's time to start pressuring DC to outlaw doing business with governments engaging in f^&ing genocide. I mean, just the barest minimum of a moral stance. Never Again was supposed to mean NEVER again.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Just gonna be the party pooper and mention that China is engaging in genocide against the Uighur Muslims. The biggest American companies in the world continue to look the other way and pump money into that totalitarian nightmare regime and history will NOT look kindly on it.

I wish Americans could be proud of our biggest industries and see that they support democracy and basic human rights, but they don't, so maybe it's time to start pressuring DC to outlaw doing business with governments engaging in f^&ing genocide. I mean, just the barest minimum of a moral stance. Never Again was supposed to mean NEVER again.

Completely agree, but there’s a mountain of money involved and that will always (sadly) take priority over human rights.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021

America is literally the most heinous violator of human rights on the planet both domestically and internationally. Americans have no high ground on China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.