Apple Console...when??

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by I'mAMac, Jul 6, 2008.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Every console out there is terrible. Whether its Microsofts completely unreliable 360, Sony's crappy PS3 or the Wii. The big thing is that Microsoft, Apple's major competitor, has a console but it's so bad, Apple could easily outdo them in this field. Anyone feel the same way?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah Apple could out do them.... by losing even more money than M$ multi multi billion losses & Sony's 16 billion PS3 losses etc.

Apple have more sense than enter this field, besides they have never really been big on games, and just the logistics of it (designing a new gaming OS and a decent gaming API and such and your just talking $$$$ nightmare) pretty much rule it out.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Nah, the big three are fine the way they are. I love my PS3, and frankly wouldn't buy an iConsole.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If anything, the PS4 will be heavily influenced and co-designed by Apple, as it seems Apple and Sony have been buddying up for quite a while (maybe something to do with a common enemy?) And what with rumours that the iPod Touch and iPhone could interact with the PS3 using WiFi, and that we will see AAC Encoded support for PS3 etc.

I would buy an Apple Console straight away, just as i would a SEGA console :cool:

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Do you not remember the Apple console disaster?

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I was wondering when someone would mention that.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

when??

the hardware came out last year ... the software starts Friday.

[​IMG]

8. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

Apple did have some bombs in the 90's but with the coolness factor they have going for them now they could break into the console industry with a new type of device.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope.

Furthest it will get is TV out on an iPod Touch/iPhone. See the big thing about these "crappy" consoles if they (mostly) have a stupidly large number of systems in houses with mindshares, developers and publishers staunchly centred around them. Apple has completely failed in the games market first with the Pippin and now with their attitude towards gaming as a whole.

10. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Introducing the iGame.

Comes in two varieties, Pro or Consumer.

The iGame which has an integrated video card, mobile parts, it's thin though! Starts at $600. Controller, video cable sold separately.

The iGame Pro comes with a mid level graphics card not really suitable for gaming, but it's using top of the line processors, it's normal sized. Starts at $1,200. Controller and video cable sold separately.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We're not talking about PS3 :p;)

12. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Mine was included?

13. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I don't think apple will, but I think they COULD. But they won't and don't need to, because they already have by creating the iphone and itouch.

14. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Whoops, but there is one more thing..

What do you normally put into game consoles.. well it started with carts.. then they evolved into CDs, now mainly DVDs except for the PS3 with Blu Rays.

Now these are all great, but they are a hassle, I mean who wants to go up and swap disks!

Both the iGame and the iGame Pro will ship.. without an optical drive.

To get games you go to the Game store and download from there!

But.. there is just another thing I forgot to talk about, geez.

You know Nintendo is an innovative company, and their Wii remote has lead the way for their sales and accomplishments. We know the game controller is perhaps the MOST important part. Not the graphics, discs, no.. the controller.

We look at them, they all have too many buttons. We're going to replace them with optical sensors! What consumers are telling us is that tatical feedback is overrated in games and is no longer needed, so we're making the switch and I think the industry will be 5 years behind us.

Thank you for coming!

15. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    It kinda bothers me when people spread rumors with actual names when they know it isn't true. :rolleyes:

In case anybody can't see thru the sarcasm, there is no iGame and there won't be one (at least not from :apple:)

Not trying to be a buzzkill, its just that a lot of people read these forums for REAL information and legitimate rumors, talking like this release is imminent is VERY MISLEADING to the average forum browser. :(

Ok, back to the fantasy land game console discussion... ;)

16. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Well there isn't legit or real info on an Apple game console, so we have to speculate, and the iGame seems most possible.

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It'll never happen. Apple doesn't like to lose money, they would certainly lose if they announced a game console. Just thinking out loud it would be billions in development and QA, and thats before you even have a finished product to show/sell. Then you have to spend millions to lure companies in as developers, they don't do exclusives or timed exclusives for free. Of course then there are in house studios, again millions in human equity and infrastructure.

Speculating about Apple making a console has about the same possibility of happening as "speculating" oil prices will go down to $30/barrel during tomorrows trading. Could it happen, sure, but the realistic chances of it happening are a pipe dream.

Furthermore if you are the one that said $600 and $1200 for a console that has no track record, nor any real gaming following I would put money on it that it would become the next Dreamcast, lofty dreams. The PS3 had a hard time after its initial launch at $600 and it was put out by a proven studio, with a great track record among its loyal fans. Any console that debuts at $1200 is dooming itself for failure, though I really wouldn't put it past Steve's arrogance to try.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Sorry if i've got the wrong end of the stick, but isn't the Touch and the iPhone soon to become a multi-purpose device, including a games console?

19. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

the iphone and itouch are being hyped as great gaming devices and it's not just hype and fantasy. It's absolutely true. If apple wanted to make a console, they've got what they need to do it.

1. they already have the appletv connected to our tv's and wifi and computers with the ability to download stuff.

2. they know how to think outside the box.

3. they are getting developers on board with them via the iphone and itouch. They've attracted some big names.

So I'm still going to say they could but not likely.

20. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

What I meant to say is that the iGame is about as good as anyone else's guess. Not that I actually believe it, it's just digs at Apple.