Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of visionOS, the software that runs on the upcoming Vision Pro headset. The third beta came out in late August, so it has been more than a month since Apple last released a visionOS update.

Apple-Vision-Pro-with-battery-Feature-Orange.jpg

Only a limited number of developers have access to Vision Pro at this time, with the headsets used for app testing purposes. Most people will not have access to the visionOS beta outside of Xcode, and it is not yet clear what Apple is adding in each visionOS update.

Apple is allowing developers to attend Vision Pro labs around the world, and developers who visit these locations are able to test the Vision Pro in person and get help from Apple engineers on their visionOS apps.

The Vision Pro headset is not expected until early 2024, so Apple still has a lot of work to do on both hardware and software. We are expecting either this beta or a beta shortly after to introduce the official visionOS App Store that Apple has been working on.

Article Link: Apple Continues Refining visionOS With Fourth Beta Release

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I personally can not wait for this product. I work at home with multiple people Nationwide remotely & have tried many other virtual environments via Meta and others and nothing comes close to what I have already seen this headset capable of When it comes to performing my daily routine and workflows via this headset.

During the keynote my finger was hovering over the proverbial Buy Now button No Matter the cost, had it been there.. and was greatly disappointed when they announced early next year 2024.

Very eager to get my hands on this product and see what I can achieve work wise with it. Yea there will be a lag of time until the App Store gets a good following etc. and those that believe it to be a gaming headset while also *Griping about the cost, however those people will not delight in the many features for work flow, I myself will be looking for, finally a professional headset with great graphics, tied into the Apple ecosystem and able to perform most if not all my daily workload tasks. Bring it on!

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I wonder if they will put the M3 in it with added hardware race tracing from the A17 Pro.
Have you watched the keynote? They showed the new R1 chip and M2 as well will be used in this headset at first.

Quote from apple web site for the Vision Pro
”A unique dual‑chip design enables the spatial experiences on Apple Vision Pro. The powerful M2 chip simultaneously runs visionOS, executes advanced computer vision algorithms, and delivers stunning graphics, all with incredible efficiency. And the brand-new R1 chip is specifically dedicated to process input from the cameras, sensors, and microphones, streaming images to the displays within 12 milliseconds — for a virtually lag-free, real-time view of the world.”

Abobrek

Suspended
Aug 15, 2012
I personally can not wait for this product. I work at home with multiple people Nationwide remotely & have tried many other virtual environments via Meta and others and nothing comes close to what I have already seen this headset capable of When it comes to performing my daily routine and workflows via this headset.

During the keynote my finger was hovering over the proverbial Buy Now button No Matter the cost, had it been there.. and was greatly disappointed when they announced early next year 2024.

Very eager to get my hands on this product and see what I can achieve work wise with it. Yea there will be a lag of time until the App Store gets a good following etc. and those that believe it to be a gaming headset while also *Griping about the cost, however those people will not delight in the many features for work flow, I myself will be looking for, finally a professional headset with great graphics, tied into the Apple ecosystem and able to perform most if not all my daily workload tasks. Bring it on

Very eager to get my hands on this product and see what I can achieve work wise with it. Yea there will be a lag of time until the App Store gets a good following etc. and those that believe it to be a gaming headset while also *Griping about the cost, however those people will not delight in the many features for work flow, I myself will be looking for, finally a professional headset with great graphics, tied into the Apple ecosystem and able to perform most if not all my daily workload tasks. Bring it on!
How exactly do you propose the Vision Pro “improve” your workflow? Typing will not be as quick or intuitive as a keyboard. Also, there’s the fact Vision Pro has “1 hour of battery life”, and that is what is advertised, which means it probably is less in graphic intensive apps. So, in order for you to do any type of true work, you will need your head to be plugged into an outlet throughout the day. Then comes the weight of the device, which reviews state that it is quite heavy, do you genuinely believe you can wear such a hefty device ALL day? Try wearing an Oculus for a few hours. It is not ideal whatsoever, plus there’s the factor of SWEAT. Also, what about using the restroom? With a traditional computer you can leave the screen up and come back to it, in your case you would either need to take the headset off, or keep it on, but unplug the tether that is plugged into the wall, the return by plugging it back in. I seriously do not understand how people such as your self see ANY benefit of the Vision Pro over a Multiple Monitor setup connected to a Mac.

ngextreme

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
The first Mac released in 1984 is almost exactly $3500 in today’s dollars. It’s not that extreme. Especially for a brand new product category.
This isn't a brand-new product category. VR headsets have been on the market for many years. Granted the best one currently and even when Apple releases theirs is a Facebook-derived one.

Abobrek

Suspended
Aug 15, 2012
Go Vpro go! I look forward to using massive screens without the weight of physical equivalents... and no creases or rolls. I hope this is amazing and look forward to seeing it with my own eyes in a demo.
You do realize how heavy the Vision Pro is, right? I recommend trying out an Oculus Quest for a few hours and see how you hold up.

Abobrek

Suspended
Aug 15, 2012
Well, let’s see - probably less than 1%.
No way. Do you have any experience with virtual reality? It is a novelty. The fact of wearing something that has weight and heat to it on one’s face becomes overbearing after lengthy periods of time. If you are purchasing a Vision Pro yourself, I wish you the best with it because I own several VR headsets and regret purchasing them on the idea that the experience would somehow improve.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You do realize how heavy the Vision Pro is, right? I recommend trying out an Oculus Quest for a few hours and see how you hold up.

I do realize... much lighter weight than trying to replicate the screen size everywhere I happen to be with an actual physical screen.

I am regularly frustrated trying to do laptop work on a 16" screen vs. my usual screen at 40" ultra-wide. Vpro looks like the very best way to bring a VR 40" (or TWO) with me, wherever I happen to go. I also like to watch television & movies on an 80" TV but I would never want to try to carry that TV anywhere with me. If Vpro can offer it up too at the exact same weight (of Vpro), that's gravy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.