Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm IDC today announced the results of its survey of smartphone shipment data for the first quarter of 2011, following up on last week's release of data on the broader mobile phone market.

163526-idc_1q11_smartphones.png

According to the new smartphone data, Apple continues to hold second place among the world's top smartphone manufacturers with 18.7% market, with unit sales up 114% year-over-year and its share rising by three percentage from the year-ago quarter. That rise, combined with rapid declines in market-leader Nokia's smartphone share, has allowed Apple to move within six percentage points of the top spot.
Apple reached a new record shipment volume in a single quarter, and inched closer to market leader Nokia with fewer than six million units separating the two companies. The company posted market-beating year-over-year growth and recorded triple-digit growth in two key markets: the United States, with the release of its CDMA-enabled iPhone, and Greater China. Additionally, the company enlisted South Korean Telecom and Saudi Telecom as carrier providers of the iPhone.
Overall, worldwide smartphone sales grew by nearly 80% year-over-year, with several Android-focused manufacturers including Samsung and HTC joining Apple in leading the way while Nokia and third-place Research in Motion significantly lagged the overall market growth.

Article Link: Apple Continues to Close on Nokia for Title of World's Top Smartphone Vendor

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
We will see what happens when Nokia couples their great hardware with the awesome new "Mango" version of Windows Phone 7 later this year or in 2012.

Samsung ain't doing that bad at all!

Got a new Samsung phone (Omnia 7) a few weeks ago. Really nice design, an incredbile display and very solidly built. I'm impressed.

Comment

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
All this with 1 phone model

What amazes me is that Apple only has one phone model which wasn't even recommended by Consumer Reports compared to the many Nokias, blackberries, HTCs and Samsungs.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think the WP7 deal will help Nokia much at all. Time will tell but people are already migrating to other manufacturers.

Samsung, HTC & Apple deserve their increases IMO.

Comment

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
RIM is dead.

Samsung and others are doing well for now but the android craze will die in a couple of years.

Comment

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Samsung and HTC also going strong... And I bet Moto is also doing good!

The problem is margin. their phone margin is 1/10th what Apple's is. As long as Apple grows with/faster than the market, and profits/unit remain constant, the stockholders will be quite happy.

This looks bad for both Nokia and RIM.

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What amazes me is that Apple only has one phone model which wasn't even recommended by Consumer Reports compared to the many Nokias, blackberries, HTCs and Samsungs.

Makes you wonder why other companies spend the time, effort and money creating a dozen different models... especially when they all are basically functionally the same.

Some have keyboards and some don't... but how many virtually identical slab-phone does one company need to make?

Comment

ciTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Portugal (Porto)
The problem is margin. their phone margin is 1/10th what Apple's is. As long as Apple grows with/faster than the market, and profits/unit remain constant, the stockholders will be quite happy.

This looks bad for both Nokia and RIM.

Nokia and RIM are going down the drain fast...

You got a point on the margin thing, but remember the PC market a few years back... And smartphones are really expensive now a days, at least the top ones.

Makes you wonder why other companies spend the time, effort and money creating a dozen different models... especially when they all are basically functionally the same.

Some have keyboards and some don't... but how many virtually identical slab-phone does one company need to make?

Like 2 per month... LOL
All I know is that there are so many HTC models coming out it is hard to keep track. And to add to that a model can have different names on carrier... Country... It's a mess... Really... Some models are nice but so many others are just average...

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Nokia makes smart phones? I thought that made cameras that had the ability to make calls :confused:

RIM is dead.

Samsung and others are doing well for now but the android craze will die in a couple of years.

RIM.. yeah they might

Android? It will not die, I love my iPhone but I don't see Android slowing down at all

Comment

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
RIM.. yeah they might

Android? It will not die, I love my iPhone but I don't see Android slowing down at all

Android is a fad. Something else will come along and steal its thunder.

Developers are not excited about Android and eventually this will take its toll. Gamers will dislike the smaller choice of games. Other apps will fall behind. Security issues will make some apps not available. Etc.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Hopefully the iPhone 5 comes out in a few months to continue the steam on the journey to #1.

Comment

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Pretty good considering the fact that Apple basically sells one type of phone while there are countless different types of other phones out there. I can't even imagine how many there are now. All that e-waste!

Comment

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Android is a fad. Something else will come along and steal its thunder.

Developers are not excited about Android and eventually this will take its toll. Gamers will dislike the smaller choice of games. Other apps will fall behind. Security issues will make some apps not available. Etc.

LOL, I love my Apple's and I've had my share of time developing on iOS but Android will not go away. In terms of stealing thunder, the three big players in the tech industry are Apple, Google, and Microsoft. Who do you foresee doing that? Microsoft?

tbh I am in the process of picking up an android device to learn more about it and also use it for html5 testing, why? I definitely see it growing, the things keeping me on iPhone is consistency in UI, aesthetic design, build quality and no hassle updates.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

Shouldn't be too difficult. This is Nokia we're talking about: smartphone irrelevance . . . that will be joined to another irrelevant smartphone platform. The blind leading the blind.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.