Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing its work on the upcoming "M2" chip with help from Samsung Electro-Mechanics, ET News reports.

m2-feature.jpg

Samsung Electro-Mechanics supplies the flip chip ball grid array (FC-BGA), a printed circuit board used to connect the semiconductor chip to the main substrate, for the M1 chip. This detail did not emerge until almost a year after the M1 chip was introduced, when it was uncovered by The Elec.

While the M1, like all of Apple's custom silicon SoCs, is fabricated exclusively by Taiwan's TSMC, the chip includes components from several suppliers. For example, the chip's board is supplied by Ibiden and Unimicron, so it is necessary for Apple to coordinate multiple suppliers for its next-generation SoC for the Mac.

According to today's report from ET News, Samsung is expected to continue to provide the FC-BGA for the M2. The company is said to be collaborating with Apple in a project to develop the M2 chip and will complete work on the FC-BGA for it this year.

Apple purportedly began developing the M2 immediately after introducing the M1 chip. The report reiterated Mark Gurman's claim that Apple is testing at least nine new Macs with four different M2 chip variants, and that the first devices with the M2 could debut in the first half of 2022. The chip could first be introduced in Apple's redesigned MacBook Air.

Article Link: Apple Continuing Work on M2 Chip With Help From Samsung

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Apple purportedly began developing the M2 immediately after introducing the M1 chip.
I'm sure Apple began developing M2 long before the M1 was publicly introduced.

Samsung for years has been talking about creating their own chips for a variety of devices, but somehow always seems to be just a fabricator for other companies. I wonder what keeps holding them back.
??

Samsung has been producing their own chips for many, many years. In fact, the first iPhones used Samsung CPUs.

Matti_

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2020
Samsung for years has been talking about creating their own chips for a variety of devices, but somehow always seems to be just a fabricator for other companies. I wonder what keeps holding them back.
Samsung is not just one company. There is Samsung Display, Samsung Mobile,… so some of them are suppliers and some of them build consumer products

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Does this complicate future Mac buying plans for all of the "I will NEVER buy anything made by Samesung" crowd?*

*not a real question- just poking a bit of fun at the most rabidly passionate among us... possibly much of the same "I love the notch" and "Notch is iconic" group staring at accumulating rumors of a notch-less iPhone that may be launching as soon as this Fall. I hope Apple doesn't lose all of those buyers with such shocking revelations. :)

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Samsung is a giant company, and their work for Apple generates a lot of revenue for them.

Apple gets a reliable producer, while Samsung gets a good customer. Both do well on the transaction.

Sometimes people see the differences or "rivalries" between companies in the same light as sports teams or politicians.

This simply isn't the case with corporations. What works, works, and what doesn't doesn't. Apple, Samsung, and TSMC work well together to get things "done". As someone stated upthread, Samsung has been a major supplier for Apple for a long time now.

I'm sure Logistics Tim recognizes the "if it aint broke don't fix it" aspect of the relationship, and continues to do business with Samsung because it's good business, and business is good.....

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So what do Samsung and Apple do with each other: cooperate competitively or compete cooperatively?

Sue, sue, sue AND partner, partner, partner... at the SAME time.
  • Where the partner seems competitive, SUE.
  • Where the defendant offers cost or tech advantage/reliability/margin boost, PARTNER!
  • Where there is a bit of both, sue and partner.
I wonder if the legal fees in the battles get offset by the extra gains in cooperative collaborations, where the net payment of actual cash works out to like $1.98 or something like that? ;)

I wonder if those employees with a foot in both adversary and partnering worlds ever have to flip flop their working relationship in the same meetings/visits? "We will sue you to oblivion! See you in court (again)! ... Now are you able to make this part for us for at least 3 cents less than this other supplier? Yes? Great. We want to order 60 million of them from you." ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: maxoakland

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
this is why fanboyism is stupid. these huge companies don't give a **** about you defending them on the internet. apple + samsung get on fine with each other.

i'm looking forward to M2. not that i can ****ing afford any of Apple's Macs. at best i'll pick up an iPad with one in it to replace my M1 iPad

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Sometimes people see the differences or "rivalries" between companies in the same light as sports teams or politicians.
Well, litigation is the USA's favourite national sport.

Apple is kinda weird in being a $1TN+ company that presents itself like a startup where the celebrity CEO gives the appearance of running everything hands-on out of his garage (albeit a giant, flying-saucer-shaped garage) whereas Samsung is more of an umbrella brand for a conglomerate of semi-autonomous companies making washing machines, phones, chips, industrial equipment... If Apple made a washing machine, they'd pull developers off MacOs to get it ready in time and Tim Cook himself would probably hop up on stage and start waxing lyrical about how revolutionary it was...

Reactions: mayga1

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
$$$

Being a chip fabricator and making chips for other people is more profitable than making and selling their own chips for their own devices.

Look at their most recent earnings report @ https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-announces-fourth-quarter-and-fy-2021-results

Note how more profitable the semiconductor division is compared with other divisions, particularly to their mobile device division which they call MX or Mobile eXperience.

Semicondutor business operating margins = 33.99%
Display Panel operating margins = 14.57%
MX and Networks operating margins = 9.19%
CE business operating margins = 4.56%

The semiconductor businesses posted KRW 26.01 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 8.84 trillion in operating profit in the fourth quarter.

The Display Panel Business posted KRW 9.06 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 1.32 trillion in operating profit for the fourth quarter.

The MX and Networks businesses posted KRW 28.95 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 2.66 trillion in operating profit for the fourth quarter.

The CE businesses recorded KRW 15.35 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 0.7 trillion in operating profit for the fourth quarter of 2021.

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
$$$

Being a chip fabricator and making chips for other people is more profitable than making and selling their own chips for their own devices.

Look at their most recent earnings report @ https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-announces-fourth-quarter-and-fy-2021-results

Note how more profitable the semiconductor division is compared with other divisions, particularly to their mobile device division which they call MX or Mobile eXperience.

Semicondutor business operating margins = 33.99%
Display Panel operating margins = 14.57%
MX and Networks operating margins = 9.19%
CE business operating margins = 4.56%

The semiconductor businesses posted KRW 26.01 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 8.84 trillion in operating profit in the fourth quarter.

The Display Panel Business posted KRW 9.06 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 1.32 trillion in operating profit for the fourth quarter.

The MX and Networks businesses posted KRW 28.95 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 2.66 trillion in operating profit for the fourth quarter.

The CE businesses recorded KRW 15.35 trillion in consolidated revenue and KRW 0.7 trillion in operating profit for the fourth quarter of 2021.
Counterpoint. Apparently Samsung foundry operations are in some distress. This article claims that they have cultural problems.

https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/samsung-electronics-cultural-issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.