Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Agree completely with that statement.

Many people screw themselves because they do not know their rights and will voluntarily hand over their phone to police which then, it is basically the cops phone as well.

I feel good Apple is standing up for our privacy, though I do not feel for a minute they have any defense against the NSA. If the NSA wants in, they will find a way.

:apple:

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
About time a tech company stood up to this massive govt intrusion .

This is the #1 feature of iOS8 by a landslide imo.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
The 4th amendment was the 4th most important thing that our founding fathers thought of when writing the Bill of Rights...for a reason. The police can get bent if this bothers them.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
The 4th amendment was the 4th most important thing that our founding fathers thought of when writing the Bill of Rights...for a reason. The police can get bent if this bothers them.

Really? When the next terrorist attack occurs and it murders a love one of yours, I"m betting you would want Apple to cooperate with authorities when they try to find information on the attacks.

You folks are very short sighted. Exactly what terrorists want. 13 years after 9-11....society is back to ignorance.

Reactions: Raist3001 and crf8

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
Really? When the next terrorist attack occurs and it murders a love one of yours, I"m betting you would want Apple to cooperate with authorities when they try to find information on the attacks.

You folks are very short sighted. Exactly what terrorists want. 13 years after 9-11....society is back to ignorance.

They can get access to the data, just need to get a warrant for it. There's a reason for the 4th amendment and I sure believe in it. And every citizen of the US should as well. You shouldn't be so willing to give up those rights....good and honest men and women have died for you to have them.

And you call me short sighted.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

If we surrender our rights, terrorists win. Let them come. We'll just put another bullet in their head like we did with the last guy...

Reactions: Newtons Apple

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN

No, actually short-sightedness is giving up constitutional rights for something that could hypothetically happen.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
I think Apple is 100% right with their stance ... I'm sure the government has plenty of other ways that they can get to info they need than asking a tech company to violate a clients privacy ... especially those requests made without warrants. Locking the key and throwing away the key was the right decision.

I know the news and politicians will say it's compromising our security ... but letting government agencies have free reign and at times especially without a warrant. But they have more than enough resources already ...

Police and other government bodies need to realize that seizing all the power they can isn't a good thing ... leads to more problems and abuses than good things ...

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Lol, at ex-cop trying to play lawyer. That's like saying Western Digital must decrypt my hard drive if I encrypt it.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009

The government is your friend. They're just here to help. :cool:

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
They can face heat. Because they will give data access as long as they have a warrant. Without one, they don't have too.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA

"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither" - Benjamin Franklin

Just sayin'

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
They can get access to the data, just need to get a warrant for it. There's a reason for the 4th amendment and I sure believe in it. And every citizen of the US should as well. You shouldn't be so willing to give up those rights....good and honest men and women have died for you to have them.

And you call me short sighted.

Not that I don't agree with your stance (I do, completely), but to clarify: even with a warrant they cannot get to the data. Apple has changed the way the encryption keys are stored so that they no longer have access to them. According to the info Apple put out, they cannot (not will not) provide the data on any device running iOS 8 or later.

And I say good for them.

edit (from the Apple's mouth):

In a privacy statement on its website, Apple explains that customer data such as photos, messages, email, contacts and call history is protected by each individual’s passcode on iPhones and iPads running iOS 8. “Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data,” it says. “So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8.”

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
It certainly makes it more difficult but they can still get access like they do with any other encryption...they jail you until you provide the necessary encryption key.

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
"Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither" - Benjamin Franklin

Just sayin'

100% agreement with this.

Those folks that say otherwise have not yet had their privacy yet violated. When they do, they will think again.

Papers please!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Why are you so afraid of terrorists?

Do you realize you are tens of thousands of times more likely to die in a car accident than at the hands of a terrorist? This rampant fear of terrorists in this country is orders of magnitude higher than what it should be.

I'd bank on being struck by lightning before being a victim of terrorism. Stop giving up your rights so easily; the reason authorities want to take them is NOT terrorism. It's to gain more power over us.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

I would make the argument that you are short-sighted for wanting to trade your freedom for "security". If we trade away everything that we stand for and believe in to protect ourselves from the ever-present specter of terrorism, eventually there won't be anything left to protect.

AverageBob

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I am more concerned why police feel they should to have access to your phone without a warrant.

My understanding is that they don't get access to a specific individual's data without a warrant. Now collectiong mass data on everyone without targeting specific individuals is another thing.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
It certainly makes it more difficult but they can still get access like they do with any other encryption...they jail you until you provide the necessary encryption key.

Realistically, all Apple is doing is getting out the way and putting the issue back in the user's hands; if the user chooses not to comply with the warrant, that's between them and the judge. Apple doesn't want to be involved, and rightly so.

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
if by "the police" you are referring to the typical town cops (or even large departments like the NYPD) then you are completely wrong. Apple's legal department likely consists of far superior attorneys than does that of the typical local department.

Think about it, if you are a Harvard/Yale/Stanford minted attorney would you rather go work for Apple or be a run of the mill district attorney.
(in-house work at a large tech firm is most people's dream job, and typically reserved for ultra elite attorneys) (and all this isn't even taking into consideration that Apple has the cash to retain the best law firms in the country)

Now, if we are talking about Federal Gov't agencies making requests in a FISA court, then ya ...they are going to get what they want.

and I'm ok with that, because the FBI doesn't prosecute teens for having a bag of weed. If it is a true national security issue I think the gov't should get it.

But if your Joe Shmoe local town cop wants to look through your texts to see if you sold a few of your friends some bud ...then he should go kick rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.