Apple Creates Tool to Check Activation Lock Status on iOS Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 1, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has released a new Activation Lock Status tool (via iDownloadBlog) that will make it easier for people buying a used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to avoid getting a device that is locked to another user.

Accessible via iCloud.com, the Activation Lock Status Checker allows users to enter a Device IMEI or Serial number to check whether a device has Activation Lock turned on.

[​IMG]
    Activation Lock was introduced alongside iOS 7 and is designed to prevent iPhones and iPads from being stolen. When Find My iPhone is enabled, it effectively locks an iOS device to a user's Apple ID account, and even when wiped, the device will require the original Apple ID and password.

Activation Lock has cut down on iPhone-related thefts in major cities, but it has also affected users who purchase an iOS device used. If Activation Lock is enabled, a used iOS device will be entirely useless until unlocked by the original owner.

If an iOS device does have Activation Lock enabled, Apple's tool will give users a clear warning that an Apple ID and password will be required before another user can activate the device. It also provides instructions on how to remove Activation Lock from a used device, which requires contacting the previous owner.

[​IMG]
    Anyone who is purchasing or selling a used iOS device should find Apple's new tool very useful, as it can be used before a transaction takes place to ensure the iOS device will be usable by the new owner.

Article Link: Apple Creates Tool to Check Activation Lock Status on iOS Devices

2. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

3. KyleC macrumors member

4. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Seems like a major score for Apple in the wake of all the -gates of the past few weeks. This will definitely help many people, the buyers to not get screwed over by buying a stolen phone and the sellers (to get screwed over for trying to sell stolen phones)

5. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Very welcome addition.

I get my iDevices new from my carrier or elsewhere, but it's nice to know there's this little wall of worry torn down in case I or someone I help with purchasing a device needs/wants to buy a used one.

Glassed Silver:mac

6. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

It would be nice that if Apple allows us access this site using iOS Safari. Tried on iPhone, but would not work on iOS Safari

7. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Great. Now how to educate the people who need it most?

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Thats awesome Apple! Now I can buy used devices without being as worried as I have been. Now I just ask the seller for the serial or IMEI.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

How about they create a tool that checks for bugs in their software? Seems like they could use that.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yeah, seriously. The people that are conned into buying a locked device won't be helped by this change.

11. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Good question

12. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Regardless of this I'd always ask for the serial number AND IMEI before buying the device.

And get it on paper/written in digital, protocoled form. (e.g. through eBay Messages)

Glassed Silver:mac

13. randyj macrumors regular

randyj

Can't wait to check who is using my stolen ipad!!
    Apple last year said they could not give out who was using it without a court order. Didn't care about the iPad being stolen, just the 10k of camera equipment that went with it...

14. ngenerator, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  15. hmark8 macrumors regular

Eek that is one ugly page. Not very Apple. They must have had an intern whip that up very quickly.

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

17. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Isn't this tool easy to abuse though? Someone could potentially give out a legit number, while selling a device with another...

18. eww7633 macrumors regular

This won't help you with that. This will just confirm whether activation lock is on or off, not what Apple ID has activated the lock.

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Doesn't really seem that this would relate to that.

20. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

Glad to see this, gives us peace of mind when buying a used device online, for sure.

21. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

A dead-simple yet very effective solution. If it works reliably as advertised, this is a great tool to take some of the risk out of buying used iDevices. Could avoid a potentially expensive mistake.

22. bengay macrumors newbie

Excellent tool. I hope Apple also provide carrier "Locked" or "Unlocked" information.

23. AX338 macrumors regular

AX338

24. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

Nice tools, this is good for checking a potential device purchase, as well as for selling you can show it to a buyer to prove you removed the activation lock on it.