Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcm123

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Great idea but

So, what happen when the dock is not being used, will it looks like an imac with an empty display shell? :rolleyes:

salmon

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
What a cool idea, if done right. I remember 5 or so years ago, IBM made a prototype of something like this - the core of the computer, ie CPU, memory, HD, was a tiny module that could be plugged into different form factors based on the usage you wanted. The capabilities of the two devices seem like they would be so dramatically different though, that I don't see how this would be useful. And if it was useful, how it would be affordable. Maybe the desktop could offload low priority threads to the cpu on the mini-device or something.

The ideal computing set up I would like is a nice desktop (like an iMac) for doing real work and keeping all of my camera docks, printers and other peripherals plugged in, with a light 1kg tablet for portable computing.

The tablet would have a 7-8" touch screen, real keyboard, dual mode display (for ebooks), fantastic calendar software (so it can act as a very efficient day timer), long battery life, syncing as easy as with the iPod. Sell me this whole setup for ~2K, and I'd buy it tomorrow.

Or basically, the offspring of an iPod and an OLPC laptop that go and mate together. :)

Right now I have a Macbook, which is reasonably OK, but not my idea computing nirvana. It's too heavy, no touch screen, too big to take everywhere, etc.

Nenita

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007
did you read the patent?

come on guys at least read the complete patent application. it talks about a heatsink and fans to cool the UP, it talks about a complete set of ports that an UP would not be able to carry like mini dvi, fire wire usb audio in and out, it talks about built in back up storage and antenna for wifi, it talks about bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse and other devises, it talks about a mic and webcam. this thing may not be sold separately... this thing may be a combo deal... have you guys thought about that? $1500-$2000 and you get both?
thats a sweet deal if you ask me...

Booga

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2002
Grn.

I love that Apple is coming up with a docking station. It's the biggest thing (along with dual-monitor-out) keeping me from buying a MacBook.

But what, does Apple own stock in LCD production companies? I *have* monitors! I like them! Should I dump them in a landfill now because Apple wants to sell me another one?

Here's to hoping that that's the "Best" configuration, and that there's a "Good" configuration that's just a dock.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
come on guys at least read the complete patent application. it talks about a heatsink and fans to cool the UP, it talks about a complete set of ports that an UP would not be able to carry like mini dvi, fire wire usb audio in and out, it talks about built in back up storage and antenna for wifi, it talks about bluetooth for the keyboard and mouse and other devises, it talks about a mic and webcam. this thing may not be sold separately... this thing may be a combo deal... have you guys thought about that? $1500-$2000 and you get both?
thats a sweet deal if you ask me...

Sounds like $2,500 to $3,000 to me as a combo.

ilogic

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
New Jersey
so cool!

I've been thinking about this forever!!!

I would buy one in a heartbeat...

I have so many peripherals, eyeTV cable box, PS2, PSPs, not to mention my Ipod and iphone docks, and other equipment and i hate being tied down to my work area and iMac, i want to sit on the couch sometimes!!

i've been thinking of getting a macbook with a 3rd party dock... but this.. this is nextgen computer docking, i really hope its not limited to the macbook mini...

Perhaps the 24 inch screen can accomadate a macbook...

Personally, this kind of ingenuity is inspiring and it might look impractical now, it could work so well...

I can see it now, very small magnets on the ports inside the imac will snap onto the ports macbook, when you undock, you press a button that flips the inside magnets and repells the macbook out, :D

5 apples for this one...
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Wow the design looks so similar to the g5 imacs.... and it definitely reminds me of the old PowerBook duo's... they had no optical drives and connected to docks as well!

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
The problem with the original duo was its painfully slow speed negated the convenience of the design. The original duo dock even had a slot for a math coprocessor to try and speed it up. Now that it's 15 years later even a subnote spends more time waiting for its user than vice versa, I hope we see Apple bring this great idea back.

What professional wouldn't want a thin subnotebook with no moving parts for travel and then be able to come back to the office and slide it into a 24" screen/dock with a bigger hard drive, faster video card, and optical drive? Yes you are buying two displays, but I can't imagine a more elegant or functional personal computer design given current technology. You get what you pay for.

white pilgrim

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2006
Singapore
There has been some speculation around the internet that the patent could be tied to the rumored Apple ultra-portable. While the timing of the publication is interesting, the application itself remains generic in nature, and appears to be applicable to any notebook computer.

If it works with a slot, I can't imagine how my 17" mbp will ever get in.:)

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I am sorry if this has already been posted, I just got some ideas that excited me about this old patent.

I can see this working if:

- The iMac slot is an iMac with parts and everything. The lack of power of the ultra portable would need to be made up by another computer behind the screen. The iMac would sport a FW3200 or a bootable eSata port that a bigger port on the side of the laptop would connect to, along with DVI and sound.
- Airflow and heat in some way could be improved.
- The loss of a display somehow could be dealt with (many pro users use this and this patent kind of aims toward that group).

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
080103_patent_app_monitor_dock.gif

Can someone get this guy a straight edge?

Honestly... a free-hand drawing?

-Clive

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
If Apple could come up with a standard form-factor for a mini tablet AND a super portable they could stick a slot like this in the "unused" side of an iMac like a giant PCMCIA/Expresscard slot. They could make little adaptors to bung iPods/iPhones in there too.. An inbuilt apple multi-dock thing!

Would likely never happen but it would be hilarious. :D

rmtwrkr

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2004
My own take on the whole docking idea:

I have been thinking for a while about the whole 'putting one machine inside another' for ages. In some cases it makes sense, and I think that this particular idea (ultraslim macbook inside much larger display) is a good one.

But I have also been thinking of another idea: docking the iPhone into a much larger display coupled with keyboard. The power is there for standard tasks (word processor, emails, web etc).

Take a look (if you like) at my blog where I discuss it in greater detail:
http://rmtwrkr.wordpress.com

Oh btw, a long time lurker here (believe it or not, since 1998!)..always reading the forums, but rarely entering into discussion...till now (my new years resolution: engage more often!)

Aquis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
If it was like the Gizmondo mock-up, I would definitely get one. The actual dock would for me ideally have a 24" screen, one or even better - two 3.5" hard disk bays and an optical drive (perhaps a Blu-ray one?) When plugged in, your MacBook nano (or whatever it may be) would be charged up. Also, the dock itself could be put into Firewire target disk mode and have a DVI-in for other computers.

My only concerns are that heating may be a problem, but I guess the dock could cool the actual bay down somehow, and also the problem with speed and graphics. Are there no ways of having a processor and graphics card inside the actual dock to be used by the ultra-portable when inserted?

It would be even cooler to have iPod / iPhone ports in there too...

sk8ordie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
California
I would be onboard if the iMac "dock" had a fast intel chip, hd, optical, ports etc. This would have to cost at least $3K with the MacSlim.

If it soley relied on the MacSlim for proccessing power it would be to slow imo.

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Hmm...I've been wanting a docking station for my MacBook for ages. This seems perfect, but unlikely.
How would you turn your MacBook / Pro on? You wouldn't want to have to take the laptop out, open it and press the ON button, close it and slide it back in....
You'd have to have some kind of system built into the laptop which they currently laptops don't have.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The problem with this concept is that once docked, you have a nice big, iMac-like computer with the performance of an ultra-portable...Do you really want an iMac-sized computer that runs like a low-end MacBook (or worse?!)?

In such a configuration, the "iMac" part is just the separate display and docking station many people would be connecting their "MacSubBook" into, anyway. So you wouldn't buy it for the performance, but the form factor of the notebook part and the dock/display.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
If the dock has slots for harddrives, you will have the same issues that you are having now with an iMac and a laptop. This will not be expensive. This is a solution to get those cheap consumers on board. Makes it pointless to have a Mac Mini in the line-up as well.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.