Apple CS: "Press Release TODAY Addressing Signal Issues"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peestandingup, Jun 25, 2010.

1. peestandingup macrumors regular

Got off the phone with Apple Support about my signal issues. Apparently he just then was told to refer callers to the Apple Press Release on apple.com/support that is coming later this evening (he didnt give me a time. I asked).

Anyways, just passing that along.

2. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

I heard the same a couple hours ago from Apple CS

3. osakagrl macrumors newbie

hopefully it will be something that is easily fixed (specifically on my shipment in July! haha)

4. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

5. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

LOL... a metal band saying

"you're holding it wrong"

6. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Your avatar ... this quote ... makes me all happy and sad at the same time ...:eek:

7. ihonda macrumors 68000

just got off my call with apple CS, wait til you hear this..

so i started off with a low level rep, explained i had 4 iphones in front of me, one 32gb 3gs, one 32gb i4, two 160gb i4s.

told him all the i4s when using in hands have no signal, before i could say anything else he stated we know this is a issue, we are working on a software fix for this to be released soon, soon as he was done with his script i hit him with the same question 5 times. "how can a software fix fix this issue i am having when its clearly hardware related" he said well 3gs are now having the issue running ios4 as well (which i already knew..but didnt say anything) i asked him what are you doing for the people who paid good money for this, he said well you can wait for the 4.1OS which will be out soon. i explained i spent a total of $1631.xx yesterday, full price for 2 phones and $200 for one of them + tax came out to my total cost. i said are you going to issue bumpers to people who purchased the phones? he said no because the bumpers dont resolve the issue either (which i knew bc people on here posted the bumper not fixing their issue either), i then mentioned the emails from jobs and how they are all over tech boards and news sites and how bad the PR is for this, i said are you going to be waiving the restocking fee if i take these back? his reply its up to manager.. it just all seemed VERY scripted. he was a cool guy tho, not cocky, he transfered me up to a senior rep who i swear to christ had the same exact replies WORD FOR WORD..

figured id share my experience. im on the fence if i should return them or not. guess ill give it some time and see if this magical software fix comes out.

8. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

What did you expect? You thought by getting to a low level rep and regaling them with stories of your investments might somehow get new information that nobody, including I am sure some very agressive tech journalists, could extract from senior and anonymous informants on the situation? I mean, you've added nothing to the story. :(

Venting to someone at Apple may have made you feel better, but this is all barely 24 hrs old. They probably don't even know what it going to happen going forward. You're well inside any warranty period. Sit back, enjoy your new devices, and relax. It will all be sorted out one way other the other and if you want to return them tomorrow DO IT! You can buy back in in a few weeks with no trouble if you change your mind. :)

Just go with it.

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

10. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

Tempest in a teapot?

The signal indicator is a pretty arbitrary measurement and varies from one generation of the hardware to another, since it is being reported by a device-specific measurement system.

I just ran a quick test with my iPhone 4 and iPad:

The iPhone 4, when set on a surface with nothing touching it shows a 5-bar 3G signal and gets 5175kbps down, 1175kbps up. Gripped tightly it shows a 1-bar signal and gets a measly 2162kbps down and 419kbps up. Surely this is proof of just how bad the situation is?

The iPad, by contrast sees the same 5-bar 3G signal placed in the same location. It gets 1949kbps down, and 160kbps up (the latter presumably to do the lack of HSUPA support in its 3G chipset.)

It would appear that that under optimal circumstances the iPhone 4's external antenna band gets amazing reception, and that when held in direct contact with skin merely gets comparable reception to an internal antenna. Is this really a problem? Perhaps we'll learn more tonight, but I'm far from displeased with its real-world behavior.

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

When I grip my iPhone 4, I get 0 bars of 3G or Edge rendering all data useless. I wish I was in your shoes. :D

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Where do you live?

13. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Boston

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

15. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

It's going to be a new accessory, turning your iPhone in to a popsicle, by sticking a rod in the connector on the bottom. There will be no contact with the phone, therefore alleviating the problem.

16. random person macrumors 6502a

I don't get dropped bars in Boston but I do in Vermont where reception is lower and I am on the edge network there. But data is where my problem lies -- in Boston, data goes from 1 to 2 mgs download speed to ZERO when I hold the phone my usual way. The data situation marginally improves with a bumper, but only marginally.

Can't wait to hear what apple has to say about this!

17. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Check your mail. The fix is out!!!

Please affix to upper left corner of iPhone 4. It is self adhering, and does not require water.

Attached Files:

18. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

On my way home I made a call with my Bluetooth headset and started playing with how i held the phone. I did get the signal to drop from 5 to 0 bars and the call quality never changed at all. Certainly different from those getting to no service and unable to make a call, but i think there is hope of a software fix.

19. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Where the heck do you do live and get 5mbps down??? In LA I get around 2mbps.

20. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you want some quality entertainment while we all wait, an Apple CS Rep actually told me that "in the meantime, avoid making any contact with the metal band when you hold it"

I said "What does that mean?"

He said: "Pinch the glass."

21. Reser macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

The new APPLE approved way to hold your phone.

22. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

AT&T store told me to do this. I handed my phone and asked them to demonstrate how to do this. Wish I had my camera on me when they did.

23. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Back on topic, I don't see any statement from Apple coming out this late on a Friday afternoon.

24. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

Bellevue, WA. Coverage around Swattle is pretty stellar but it's obviously very early and my experience is limited to casual use today. I haven't has a chance to try it in any real trouble spots just yet (like, oh, San Francisco which was horrific on both the iPad and 3GS when I was there.)

25. Mosco macrumors regular

I work around kendal/MIT and me and a co-worker were trying to reproduce the issue this morning to no avail, even licking my fingers.

I also couldn't reproduce it at south station waiting for my train to leave. In fact, I would have to say that these last 2 days I have had the best experience with ATT 3G at south station. On my 3Gs, I would have full signal but my data would never connect reliably. I submit "mark my spot" all the time for it. Haven't had a non connection yet on the iphone 4.