Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I've always looked at the current MacPro and Pro Display XDR designs as unnecessary and, indeed, impractical as actual "working computers"...the cheese grater design, while an innovative (to some) "work of art", is merely an invitation to environmental (atmospheric and living) ingress that will promote device failure. Keeping dust and bugs away from internal circuitry is a real concern.

Too much emphasis and cost on outward design and appearance vs providing the best solutions for performance and longetivity leads to products that serve niche markets vs what Steve Jobs set out to do and provide "bicycles for the mind".

Marketplace failure to provide competing 32" 6K miniLED displays to compete with the Pro XDR has only served to allow Apple to keep this product in production as long as it has and at the prices it commands. As a result, creatives looking for HDR mastering monitors have been left in the lurch waiting for tools to get on with their day at price-points that make more-practical sense for their budgets.

The technology for 2000-nits HDR displays has existed for the better part of this passed decade and the consumer and creative HDR market has been ignored in two parts...one, by the one company with the creative drive to push that marketplace forward and, the other, by an industry that is more than happy to continue to sell cheap plastic boxes of regurgitated twenty-year-old display technology.

IMHO, a 6K 32" XDR iMac should have arrived with the advent of Apple Silicon and, for that matter, an 8K 42" XDR iMac, as well.

Next week I will be attending the BILD Photo Expo in NYC and be coming home (I expect, if they're in stock) with an 8K/HDR-shooting Nikon Z8 with only one prospect for getting any work done with it...a 4-year-old 32" 6K mini-LED 1600-nit HDR monitor in an unnecessarily housed-in-an-aluminum-art-frame at a cost that makes zero sense for my needs. Well...at least, it's more than the PC-side of the world has to offer right now. Oofah.

0423MAC

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2020
I never understood Apple not willing to build out a somewhat affordable display to pair with their mac minis.

One of the most hilarious upsells on apple.com is this idea that someone adds a mac mini to their bag and then is recommended they check out a display that costs nearly 3x the amount of the computer itself.

I understand this is likely to not cannibalize their iMac sales, but that price has to come down a bit for it to make sense to pair with that computer.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I never understood Apple not willing to build out a somewhat affordable display to pair with their mac minis.

One of the most hilarious upsells on apple.com is this idea that someone adds a mac mini to their bag and then is recommended they check out a display that costs nearly 3x the amount of the computer itself.

I understand this is likely to not cannibalize their iMac sales, but that price has to come down a bit for it to make sense to pair with that computer.

Because there's nothing proprietary about such a monitor, therefore Apple cannot mark it up. A more affordable display would be 4K 27-inch. There's lots of competition out there that offer such a product.

Reactions: Abazigal

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
a 4-year-old 32" 6K mini-LED 1600-nit HDR monitor in an unnecessarily housed-in-an-aluminum-art-frame at a cost that makes zero sense for my needs. Well...at least, it's more than the PC-side of the world has to offer right now. Oofah.
What about the Dell UP3218k? Any good?

I agree, the high end of monitor tech moves at a glacially slow pace. But remember, 5 years ago people were still talking about 1080p like it was a big deal lol :D

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
What about the Dell UP3218k? Any good?

I agree, the high end of monitor tech moves at a glacially slow pace. But remember, 5 years ago people were still talking about 1080p like it was a big deal lol :D
Well, 5 years ago some of us were already acquiring 4K HDR footage and, currently, both my GH6 and S1 shoot at ~6K (open gate) and the Pro Display XDR seems like a perfect match...well, that I could justify the cost. The UP3218K with a maximum brightness of 400 cd/m² makes it ill-suited for my HDR needs, hopefully they've got an HDR version in the pipeline!

I agree with your "glacially slow" observation regarding display monitors, for those of us who have been embracing the forward push towards HDR and 8K its been a painful time as a result. At this point I'll likely be shopping the used market for a Pro Display XDR just to play catch-up with all that Panasonic footage, though I won't be opting for the native aluminum base! LOL.

As for my expected inflow of 8K HDR footage from the Z8 I keep haunting these Mac boards imploring Tim for the absolute need for a 42" 8K XDR iMac, and, yes, a 32" 6K XDR iMac, as well! We HDR-shooters are (and have been) the under-served burgeoning user base for far too long, IMO.

So, c'mon, Tim...what happened to Steve's "computers for the rest of us" and his "building bicycles for the mind"?!

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
"Precision tilting" is a feature? I would expect any stand that tilts to do it well, otherwise it's not fit for purpose.

"Precision"

3 words: no height adjustment
Not true:
  • Height adjustment: the system allows for a total height adjustment of 120 mm (60 mm in each direction from the midpoint)
landscape-top-lateral.jpg

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
funny-apple-stand-mac-pro-grater-reactions-34-5cf7aa3718150__700.jpg

The price notwithstanding, that's a very nice stand btw. Precision tilting and magnetic connector are two of my most favorite features of this stand.

MWUG2_AV2
First off, you lost most of us at 'oneplus', secondly — they have sold a ton of these stands (I realize that part wasn't for you)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.