Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I just bought a new iMac a few weeks back and everything has been fine. Then, I got an email today stating that my iMac may have a faulty hard drive and it needs to be replaced asap. Ok, so I call Apple to see what I have to do. Basically, after talking to numerous people and getting angry the last person I spoke with hung up on me.

Here is why I eventually was angered. They told me that unless I buy Applecare (2 extended years of warranty) I don't qualify for on site service which means they send someone to your home to repair your unit on site. That sounds pretty odd seeing as I have a 1 year warranty on my computer and I haven't even had it for 1 month. So I asked to speak with a supervisor, and he agreed to pay for the on site service but stated he wasn't even sure the repair facilities would drive to my home seeing as they are an hour away, one way.

The nearest Apple store is a 1 hour drive each way so if I ever need a repair to my computer I have to drive a minimum of 2 hours and sit there while they repair it. Ridiculous.

They won't let me send it in to them for repair as they state they only do that for laptops. All I wanted to do was send it in for repair.

Needless to say. I will never buy an iMac again.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGraphicD

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Your iMac comes with 90 day phone support and a 1 year warranty. They are different, but it looks like you are out of your phone support. The only way to extend the phone support is by purchasing AppleCare, so they definitely didn't didn't try to screw you out of some money.

In fact, I'm not even sure if they do in home servicing. They either want you to ship your computer to them or you have to take it to the store.

I think you should have read up a bit more on Apple's terms before you bought your Mac. I'm not saying this isn't Apple's fault, but they didn't purposely send you (and many others) a faulty iMac.

They are just following their guidelines.

I think you should call back without being frustrated (they are generally more helpful when you aren't frustrated) and ask them to exchange iMacs in the mail or something.

I'm not saying that you don't have the right to be frustrated - I'm just saying that Apple is doing the best they can because what they told you is what is in their policy. I think you got lucky by him offering a guy to come to your house.

Good luck getting your computer fixed; I understand your frustration.

mackage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Your iMac comes with 90 day phone support and a 1 year warranty. They are different, but it looks like you are out of your phone support. The only way to extend the phone support is by purchasing AppleCare, so they definitely didn't didn't try to screw you out of some money.

In fact, I'm not even sure if they do in home servicing. They either want you to ship your computer to them or you have to take it to the store.

I think you should have read up a bit more on Apple's terms before you bought your Mac. I'm not saying this isn't Apple's fault, but they didn't purposely send you (and many others) a faulty iMac.

They are just following their guidelines.

I think you should call back without being frustrated (they are generally more helpful when you aren't frustrated) and ask them to exchange iMacs in the mail or something.

I'm not saying that you don't have the right to be frustrated - I'm just saying that Apple is doing the best they can because what they told you is what is in their policy. I think you got lucky by him offering a guy to come to your house.

Did you even read my post guy? I mean....really? Did you?

I have had the computer for less than 1 month. Where do you get that I am out of my phone support? Also, what does phone support have to do with anything?

The reps I spoke with stated that they NEVER offer in home on site service to people who have not purchased Applecare. That is another perk you get only with Applecare. BUT, even if I had Applecare he couldn't guarantee the service providers would even drive here because it is an hour one way.

You CAN NOT send an iMac in for repair....only laptops and other small devices.

If you think it's acceptable for a company to make you drive 2 hours at the very minimum less than 1 month after buying a computer to have something replaced for no fault of your own....you need to wake the &*&^ up.

Last edited by a moderator:

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006

I have had the computer for less than 1 month. Where do you get that I am out of my phone support? Also, what does phone support have to do with anything?

The reps I spoke with stated that they NEVER offer in home on site service to people who have not purchased Applecare. That is another perk you get only with Applecare. BUT, even if I had Applecare he couldn't guarantee the service providers would even drive here because it is an hour one way.

If you think it's acceptable for a company to make you drive 2 hours at the very minimum less than 1 month after buying a computer to have something replaced for no fault of your own....you need to wake the &*&^ up.

Wow, take it easy chief, there was nothing in his post that warrants your attack on him. :(

Reactions: StumpJumper

mackage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I'm guessing yes... :rolleyes:

Sorry the company won't go way out of their way to help you. :rolleyes:

Out of their way...huh? Looks like they are asking me to go out of my way to ensure a product purchased less than a month ago doesn't fail at any second.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
The nearest Apple store is a 1 hour drive each way so if I ever need a repair to my computer I have to drive a minimum of 2 hours and sit there while they repair it. Ridiculous.

looks like you may be stuck taking it in ... good luck

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Out of their way...huh? Looks like they are asking me to go out of my way to ensure a product purchased less than a month ago doesn't fail at any second.

They informed you which is what they are required to do but I fail to see how it their responsibility to come to you. If they did that for everyone it would be a logistical nightmare. Take it in and get it fixed, simple enough.

Lastly, there is a great possibility that the drive won't fail, you could simply use it until it does, just make sure you are getting a good backup.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I got the same email and I'm kind of angry. I haven't contacted Apple yet but after spending $2500 on an iMac I have to lug a 27" all in one computer it into a store risking scratching up the body or damaging the screen so they can fix a manufacturing defect... or I can let it ride and lose all my data.

I do have Apple Care but I haven't seen anything about in-home repair.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

I take it you are slow so I will waste my time explaining again.

Wow. Just wow.
Sorry for even trying to help you.

Good luck getting your computer fixed though.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011

At least it is only an hour for you to get there. I received my iMac today in the mail, also today I received an email saying I may have a faulty HDD and may have to take it in to get replaced. I live a little over 2 hours away from my closest Apple Store and don't have a license for a few more months. For me to get the HDD swapped out in my situation it is 4+ hours in a car, the time it spends sitting at the store and then having to have someone else with me, that is wasting a full day for 2 people. With gas prices being the way they are I have to throw in another $40+ on a machine that they couldn't simply swap out the HDD on before they shipped it to me 2 days ago. You can't tell me this isn't something they knew to replace before they shipped it out 2 days ago...

OP I definitely feel your pain on this one. I will continue to buy Apple as I trust in them. I just feel a bit disappointed at their shortsightedness. Apparently they must feel that their target market all live within a half hour of their stores?

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
They told me that unless I buy Applecare (2 extended years of warranty) I don't qualify for on site service which means they send someone to your home to repair your unit on site.

Ask them to show you written proof of this.

Also, take it easy and be a little nicer to the Apple Care folks. Try to be the enjoyable call they remember at the end of the day.

Replace frustration with patience.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
The call back was to inform that some customers might have a faulty drive. It doesn't by default say your drive is faulty. Use it if you see any issues bring it back.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Maybe I'm missing something, but has Apple abandoned the practice of allowing warranty/recall repairs at Apple authorized businesses?

It shocks the hell out of me, this suggestion that the Apple Store is the only place this service can be done. Maybe it's the way these days, but I know my first iMac repair was done at a non-Apple Store before they existed where I live.

As for the OP, I totally get the frustration of having something wrong with your computer and the inconvenience of taking it in for repair (even if it's only 15 minutes away, not an hour)... but to expect that they'll do in-home repairs as a matter of course is nothing short of ridiculous. Surely you wouldn't expect Honda to send someone to your home if something on your car (that didn't require it to be hoisted) was recalled... would you?

If it's not bolted down, prohibitively large or service based (i.e: a cable box), I guess I would be shocked if a company came to my home to do a recall-related repair, whether it's a computer, TV, or whatever.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
... there is a great possibility that the drive won't fail, you could simply use it until it does, just make sure you are getting a good backup.

That's what I'd do. Get an external drive and use Time Machine. It's a good practice anyway.

The other option I might pursue is to ask Apple to mail you a replacement hard drive and install it yourself, though that's not easy on these new iMacs. Or maybe you could get Apple to mail you a free external drive, though that would probably require a lot of time on the phone.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
why because he is still within his warranty and was getting jerked around with the speak to three different people customer service bureaucracy?

Something like that... Do you know how many car recalls there are every year? Wouldn't it be nice if they came to your house and fixed your car? Or if you buy a new shirt, then notice it has a tear under the arm, would't it be nice if a seamstress was there to fix the tear before you even hung up the phone? Hmmm, I wonder what dell or hp would do in this situation? They'd probably let the OP verbally abuse them for an hour, then ship him a brand new pc and let him keep the old one. "I have to drive an hour to get a free repair for my computer". Give me a break!!!

Reactions: akadafni

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Something like that... Do you know how many car recalls there are every year? Wouldn't it be nice if they came to your house and fixed your car? Or if you buy a new shirt, then notice it has a tear under the arm, would't it be nice if a seamstress was there to fix the tear before you even hung up the phone? Hmmm, I wonder what dell or hp would do in this situation? They'd probably let the OP verbally abuse them for an hour, then ship him a brand new pc and let him keep the old one. "I have to drive an hour to get a free repair for my computer". Give me a break!!!

Didn't realize we were talking about cars, clothes, Dell, or HP. Me, personally I buy Apple because of quality so I don't have to deal with inferior quality. Also, I don't remember him saying he verbally abused anyone for an hour. Apparently there is a lot between the lines that only you can read...

mackage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Ask them to show you written proof of this.

Also, take it easy and be a little nicer to the Apple Care folks. Try to be the enjoyable call they remember at the end of the day.

Replace frustration with patience.

I was absolutely calm and composed until the last 1 minute of a 30 minute phone call and two different representatives. I was calm up until the point where the rep basically (in so many words) told me that I had to lug this thing to an Apple store and drive for hours for a computer that I have had for less than 1 month.

I didn't even want in home service for all those that are jumping the gun and saying I was requesting too much. They are the ones who brought that up and stated that is I purchase Applecare they could TRY to get in serviced in the home. The only issue with that is the repair centers are just as far away from me as the Apple store so they may not even come to me.

Wow. Just wow.
Sorry for even trying to help you.

Good luck getting your computer fixed though.

Show us where your response had anything to do with the initial post, and where you lent any information. Show us why you stated a bunch of facts that simply made no sense after reading the initial post.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I was absolutely calm and composed until the last 1 minute of a 30 minute phone call and two different representatives. I was calm up until the point where the rep basically (in so many words) told me that I had to lug this thing to an Apple store and drive for hours for a computer that I have had for less than 1 month.

I didn't even want in home service for all those that are jumping the gun and saying I was requesting too much. They are the ones who brought that up and stated that is I purchase Applecare they could TRY to get in serviced in the home. The only issue with that is the repair centers are just as far away from me as the Apple store so they may not even come to me.

How about bringing to a bestbuy or Apple reseller.

mackage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
At least it is only an hour for you to get there. I received my iMac today in the mail, also today I received an email saying I may have a faulty HDD and may have to take it in to get replaced. I live a little over 2 hours away from my closest Apple Store and don't have a license for a few more months. For me to get the HDD swapped out in my situation it is 4+ hours in a car, the time it spends sitting at the store and then having to have someone else with me, that is wasting a full day for 2 people. With gas prices being the way they are I have to throw in another $40+ on a machine that they couldn't simply swap out the HDD on before they shipped it to me 2 days ago. You can't tell me this isn't something they knew to replace before they shipped it out 2 days ago...

OP I definitely feel your pain on this one. I will continue to buy Apple as I trust in them. I just feel a bit disappointed at their shortsightedness. Apparently they must feel that their target market all live within a half hour of their stores?

You do have an option though. You can send yours right back to them because you just received it and it hasn't been 14 days.

They won't even let me send mine in for repair. It's not just this issue that bothers me; it's the fact that is anything ever goes wrong with this unit, I have to pack it up and drive for hours in addition to sitting in an Apple store waiting for repair.

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
Didn't realize we were talking about cars, clothes, Dell, or HP. Me, personally I buy Apple because of quality so I don't have to deal with inferior quality. Also, I don't remember him saying he verbally abused anyone for an hour. Apparently there is a lot between the lines that only you can read...

Not reading anything between the lines, I never said the OP verbally abused anyone, I wondered what dell or hp might do, would they let customers do that? It is unreasonable for the OP to expect Apple, or any other company, to make a house call to fix this problem. I am sure most customers wouldn't expect them to. Anyway, my opinion, not going to argue about it with you, Rocco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.