MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During all the announcements and store updates on Tuesday, Apple quietly reduced the price of optional nano-texture glass on its 27-inch iMac models by $200.

27-imac-nano-texture-glass-300.jpg

Apple's existing 27-inch iMac range comes with an optional nano-texture glass, which is etched at the nanometer level to cut down on reflectivity and glare for a matte look.

The nano-texture glass was originally available on the 27-inch iMac as a $500 upgrade option, but Apple is now offering it at $300, as spotted by Twitter user Antares. The nano-texture option on Apple's Pro Display XDR remains a cool $1,000.

Apple on Tuesday announced a new, redesigned 24-inch iMac, featuring an M1 chip, a 4.5K display, and a range of color options, as well as an improved cooling system, front-facing camera, speaker system, microphones, power connector, and peripherals.

The new 24-inch ‌iMac‌ comes in green, pink, purple, blue, and silver, with the yellow and orange color options being exclusive to the 8-core model. Orders for the new 24-inch iMac begin on April 30, with devices arriving in the second half of May.

We're still waiting for rumors of a new high-end iMac to come to fruition. When Apple's supplies of iMac Pro run out, it will no longer be available whatsoever, but Apple still recommends the 27-inch iMac, released in August, as an alternative for pro customers.

Article Link: Apple Cuts Price of Nano-Texture Glass for 27-inch iMac to $300, Down From $500

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Serban55

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2020
Apple, wow, please....dont cut on your profit margins...we need you for another 50 years...
Dont go bankruptcy , we love you and we need to use and see the future of macs even 20 years from now
Im ok with 500$ for that
Maybe better cut the price for that XDR pro display nano tech..and also cut in half that stand

Comment

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
They mentioned a "special coating" on the new iMac, and I wondered if that was nano-texture or some cheaper alternative. Given that they've now reduced the nano-texture pricing, maybe it is included?

Comment

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
Apple, wow, please....dont cut on your profit margins...we need you for another 50 years...
Dont go bankruptcy , we love you and we need to use and see the future of macs even 20 years from now
Im ok with 500$ for that
Maybe better cut the price for that XDR pro display nano tech..and also cut in half that stand
Will you buy it then ? is this whats stopping you from buying it ?

Comment

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Come on, look at the thinest edges, you guys ASK too much!🐶🐶🐶
Do you look at your desktop computer from the front or the side?

As long in the tooth as the existing design is, it sure looked classier. Component updates are one part of the story too. I don't understand why it's so hard for Apple in 2021 and with all their resources to design wholesome new products from the ground up.

Last edited:
Comment

opeter

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia, EU
After yesterday's wonky iMac announcement I don't harbour much hope for a killer redesign on the larger models :(
It will be the same as this, just larger and in more darker (you know... more serious!) colours. In silver, space gray and matte black (+1000 $). Maybe some other colors too...

Comment

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
It will be the same as this, just larger and in more darker (you know... more serious!) colours. In silver, space gray and matte black (+1000 $). Maybe some other colors too...
Gosh. That's incredibly lame. I'm hoping they'll push for some "Pro" differentiation in the way of the iPad Pro compared to the rest, but no real expectation for great new designs after yesterday. :(

Comment

opeter

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia, EU
Gosh. That's incredibly lame. I'm hoping they'll push for some "Pro" differentiation in the way of the iPad Pro compared to the rest, but no real expectation for great new designs after yesterday. :(
At least the bezels will be black. ;)

Just think about it:
consumer iMacs -> colour + white bezel
pro iMacs -> colour + black (or something similar darker coloured) bezel

Comment

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
At least the bezels will be black. ;)

Just think about it:
consumer iMacs -> colour + white bezel
pro iMacs -> colour + black (or something similar darker coloured) bezel
This, coming from the same company that once came up with radical new designs like the iMac G4, makes me die a little inside 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Comment

BGPL

macrumors demi-god
May 4, 2016
California
It's official, I bought my last iMac in 2015. Next will be the Mini with a third party curved ultra wide. I'll certainly be saving a ton of money this way. Just need 10gig Ethernet and I'm there.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Comment

Chefclean

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2017
I just cannot see the new iMac in my office, no matter what color it is. I looks like something you would put in a teenage girls room.

Reactions: awsom82
Comment

Gouki

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
Do you look at your desktop computer from the front or the side?

As long in the tooth as the existing design is, it sure looked classier. Component updates are one part of the story too. I don't understand why it's so hard for Apple in 2021 and with all their resources to design wholesome new products from the ground up.
Not that hard, the XDR Display design will be perfect.
Even, how about make a 24’ M1 iPad mounted on the stand with macOS installed?

Now, guess why Apple not satisfying you.

Comment

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see it drop, I suppose it will get some more choices from folks who have to have a Mac now (hardware failure etc.) or want an Intel based 27 iMac. Still too expensive an option for my blood - even though I'd like it ($99 would put it within range of selection for me).

If I could though, I'd hold out for the Apple Silicon version that we know is coming - that thing is going to be a beast.

Comment

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
They mentioned a "special coating" on the new iMac, and I wondered if that was nano-texture or some cheaper alternative. Given that they've now reduced the nano-texture pricing, maybe it is included?
Not a chance. The nano texture is literal pitting in the glass itself, not a coating.

This price cut just reflects that it’s less expensive today to produce the nano texture glass as tooling has ramped up. It might come standard on the upcoming Pro variant iMacs which would be a really killer differentiator. I expect it to work it’s way down the chain to all Apple computers in a few years time (with the caveat that they might not trust regular consumers to not destroy it by cleaning it improperly. It’s literally grooves in the glass surface, it HAS to be maintained properly).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.