Apple Damaged My Device

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ScottKrieger, Jun 5, 2014.

1. ScottKrieger macrumors newbie

Hi there, bear with me here because I'm new.

I took in my 27" iMac around 11 days ago for a graphics card replacement.

I went in to pick it up today. I checked it all over and there are 2 minor dents on the edge of the casing and one scratch on the top of the casing of which it looks like the outer layer of aluminium has been scraped off. There is also a mark on the stand. These are all situated on the right side of the iMac.

When they took it in, they said general wear and tear in the report. No obvious dents. I am quite anal about these things, but they are expensive devices, so I have a reason to be.

I spoke to the manager in store and he basically said, its his word against mine, it says general wear and tear in the report, he's not willing to get the housing replaced.

I said, I won't except it back in this condition, I expect the product I bring in here to be in the same condition when I pick it up. I said with that, I will leave it in the store as I am not excepting back a product that they have damaged.

I phoned apple and they basically said, what the store manager says, goes, and they can only convince him to repair it. Their verdict won't change what happens.

I am now at the point where the iMac is still in store with a few scratches etc and all I was offered was an iTunes gift card or something of similar value. I said no. I just want my device to be in the condition it was. I am not a time waster as I have clearly created more havoc for myself as I clearly care about my items.

I know the device head to toe, inside and out, and know those defects weren't there before, but because I didn't take pictures before it went in, and I expected them to take care of my device, I'm now at a dead end.

I am really frustrated now and would love the opinion of some others who could help or have been in this situation before. Also, if there are any consumer rights towards this, I would love to know as I am coming to the end of the rope now.

Any help is deeply appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. hologram macrumors 6502

With all due respect, unless you can prove those marks weren't there before you took it in, it is their word against yours.

You might try calling Apple back, and asking to speak with a supervisor. Be very nice, don't get upset, and maybe you'll find someone willing to help you.

Realistically, though, you can't expect Apple to overrule the manager. There are an awful lot of people trying to work the system and get something for free, and they have no way of knowing whether your complaint is legitimate or not, so without proof, they almost have to give the manager the benefit of the doubt. But, maybe you'll get lucky.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Without photos to prove it was in perfect nick before you took it in you are up the creek without a paddle. When you left it there was an agreement of general wear and tear in the report. It's hard to dispute that now as it is just your word against theirs.

4. Roller macrumors 68020

It depends on what you want Apple to do. I don't know if there's any easy way for them to repair the dents and scratch, so I guess they'd have to do what they do when they refurbish computers, short of giving you a new iMac. I think that both are too much to expect, but you could get lucky. They've already offered you an iTunes gift card - maybe they can offer a voucher for a future hardware purpose instead.

5. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I have heard of similar reports and seen it first hand myself, some Apple technicians are very careless. IMO, it is unacceptable for Apple to incur damage on an item that is suppose to be repaired (especially when the item is an expensive piece of tech). If I were you, OP, I would keep pressing.

Next time, just be sure to take photos before you take it in. Good luck.

6. cynics macrumors G4

How do they define "normal wear and tear" and dents in the unit being the same thing? I don't expect my iMac to ever have a dent in it and if it does that is certainly not "normal wear and tear".

Good to know though. If I ever have anything done to my Apple products I'll be sure to take a ton of pics with a dated post it note before hand.

Any chance those dents occurred in transportation of the device to the Apple store?

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

That's a good idea for any product of value being serviced.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

My suggestion is that if you have an iPhone, use it. Take good, detailed exterior pics of anything you bring in for service, with and without flash, right in the store, right before you leave. And then get a shot of it with a printed copy of the service order in view as well.

Not only will you have a photographic record, but your iPhone will also embed GPS time/location data as well, which will help prove that not only was the mac in good condition at the point in time you handed it off for service, but that it was that way right up to you physically bring it into the store for them to repair.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, in the OPs case. I can only suggest he try to appeal this higher up (send Tim Cook an e-mail?) and see if someone further up the chain is willing to intervene.

9. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

If you have a problem buying a new version of the item you are having serviced always take pics before dropping off for any kind of service. Also, read over those descriptions on the service ticket before you drop off and tell them to specify or make changes if needed. I know this is a hindsight is 20/20 situation but at least you will know in the future.

I would try calling Apple again and talking to someone else, it can't hurt. Just remember to stay calm and pleasant with the person, they are more likely to try and help out a nice person rather than someone who is screaming and cursing at them.

10. macsforever macrumors member

macsforever

Next time take pictures... you won't be posting about it. I've NEVER had a problem with Apple servicing anything I've brought in, and I've brought in @ least 30 devices.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not had any problems with apple's service but when I did send in my laptop for repair one time, I not only wiped my hard drive (so they wouldn't access my data) I took pictures of it, just in case.

12. macsforever macrumors member

macsforever

Maybe trying to plug a USB cable in to put songs on your IP or iPod and your pushing the metal against the aluminum trying to find the hole he he... there will be scrapes on there if your not really delicate at inserting the cable.... or, you wear rings and picked it up out of the box and your ring scrapped against it. The aluminum can easily get marks on it.

13. Silver78 macrumors 6502

Silver78

I would be PISSED if it was me...never had as much as a scratch on a phone or device..im american psycho when it comes to this.. Otterbox is plastered all over my devices. I would go 16th century in the store!!!

I have sometimes taken pictures of stuff to be returned but from now on I do it every time.

What store was this?

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

What would 'getting renaissance on their ass' involve, exactly?

15. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Drawing frescos on all their screens while wearing a fetching curly wig would scare them into not being unscrupulous and self-serving.

16. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

You will probably never be able to prove Apple did this to your iDevice, sadly enough. You can't actually do much about it..

17. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

If the machine was as pristine as you're claiming, they wouldn't have noted any wear and tear. :rolleyes:

18. Roller macrumors 68020

I guess the same thing that Weird Al meant in his parody, Amish Paradise:

So don't be vain and don't be whiny
    Or else, my brother, I might have to get medieval on your heinie

Seriously, though, there's little to be gained by being threatening in situations like this. For people who are concerned about possible cosmetic damage to belongings while in service, taking pictures is a good idea. I do it with my cars sometimes, and it's easy since I always have my iPhone with me.

19. Imaginator macrumors regular

So, let me get this straight. You are "american psycho" when it comes to the appearance of your devices, yet you have them stashed away in ugly-ass Otterboxes? Yeah, that makes sense.

Exactly.

20. AT101ET macrumors 6502

I suggest you try call up and speak to a senior manager. You have to be polite and not get worked up easily. Be very understanding and explain how you take pride in your Macs appearance and how you're genuinely upset. It may not work, but it's definitely worth a try!

21. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

I had Apple mess up my Powerbook a few years ago, and ended up walking out with a Brand New MacbookPro. Just be assertive with the manager...

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Considering how little it costs Apple to make things right, I'm surprised they don't. I mean, this is a clear situation where the customer is upset. They can afford to make things right, but they won't.

WTF Apple!

23. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Not necessarily advice but Apple repair sucks, I had to take my MacBook Pro in for 4 repairs on the same issue and it's still not properly fixed...

They are supposed to write down the condition of your device before it was brought in, do the serial numbers match?

24. Roller macrumors 68020

Overall, surveys show that users are happy with Apple's repair services. You're drawing a broad conclusion based on your limited experience. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't demand better, but it's not representative.

It's unlikely that the OP was given (or offered, since he apparently didn't accept it) a different computer. But it may be worth checking to be absolutely certain.

25. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Oh, Ive seen quite a few people on here complaining about it and most of the people I know have had bad experiences, could just be select Apple stores that have issues, but thats an issue with pretty much anything now. Guess I was incorrect :)