Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Apple has become just another megacorp going after the lowest common denominator o customer. Tim Cook the beancounter is turning them into Samsung West and living off the hip, innovative reputation that Steve Jobs dedicated his life to creating for Apple. Soon the rest of the industry will pass Apple by; it has become painfully clear that all Tim Cook knows how to do is crunch numbers because his track record of innovation while at Apple is flat out abysmal.

Your world must be really sad.

What have you done for the past 5-10 years?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This reminds me a bit of the "technology alone is not enough" ad for the iPad 2. One of Apple's better ads IMO.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I see this is really upsetting the "iPad is only a consumption device. Long live desktop & laptop computers crowd." It must be hitting too close to reality. But I'm sure they'll get over it jus like the netbooks clique did. :D

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
So don't watch the video, spec-whore...

I have no desire for a list of 6+ letter descriptives or emotionally attaching stories pushed in my face. I'm the sort of person who just wants to know the specs, benchmarks and the price.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
By all means, express an opinion. Please let us know when that opinion is valid.

Complaining about watching a video that nobody forced you to watch and isn't being run heavily on media is just plain whining...like a 5 year old....but for no reason whatsoever.

There is a way to criticize in a civilized way. You were just bitching for the sake of bitching. And nobody wants to hear that. Your "opinion" might be taken more seriously if it didn't sound like it came from an 11 yo girl.

Sorry, am I not entitled to express my opinion?

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
By all means, express an opinion. Please let us know when that opinion is valid.

Complaining about watching a video that nobody forced you to watch and isn't being run heavily on media is just plain whining...like a 5 year old....but for no reason whatsoever.

There is a way to criticize in a civilized way. You were just bitching for the sake of bitching. And nobody wants to hear that. Your "opinion" might be taken more seriously if it didn't sound like it came from an 11 yo girl.

Well said.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
There is currently no logical evolution from any of the existing lines other than to expand into different versions (size, color, performance). ...

Once people understand these things it is easier to realise what is happening.
You remind me of this quote:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
~ Charles H. Duell 1899

The problem isn't a lack of technology and possibility, it is a lack of direction and action. Steve Jobs was clearly direction and action. Now, it is second-guessing and timid misdirection.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
You remind me of this quote:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
~ Charles H. Duell 1899

The problem isn't a lack of technology and possibility, it is a lack of direction and action. Steve Jobs was clearly direction and action. Now, it is second-guessing and timid misdirection.

I don't agree. The Steve era was one in which there were many opportunities due to the extreme speed in which portable electronics developed. Sure there must still be places to go, but the times have changed. Compare it to the car industry. A fully mature industry that is currently characterized by differentiation into other form factors, but otherwise only incremental improvements.

If you open a book about product and industry life cycles and plot apples position on that curve, then you will quickly see that Steve's era was the growth period, with less competitors and less mature technologies. Both of these elements have changed. Even Steve would have had a hard time in the current market climate.

Like I said before. We should not only look at Apple and it's internal performance, but also at the market dynamics that are driving the company to do what it is doing.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
under Steve

1998 - iMac
2001 - iPod
2003 - iTunes Music Store
2007 - iPhone
2008 - Macbook Air
2009 - MAC OS X Snow Leopard. Best OS X Yet.
2010 - iPad
2011 - Spaceship Campus

under Tim

2012 - thicker iPad, taller iPhone, smaller iPad
2013 - plastic iPhone, thicker mini iPad
2014 - bigger iPad, bigger iPhone

You realize that once inventions are made, they can't be re-made, correct?

Steve laid the major ground work, now they just build off of it. You can't create the iTunes Store twice :rolleyes: .

Let's re-do this:

1998 - iMac
2001 - iPod
2007 - iPhone
2008 - Macbook Air
2010 - iPad
2011 - Spaceship Campus

under Tim

2012 - faster iPad, taller iPhone, more portable iPad
2013 - iPhone with fingerprint sensor, colorful and durable iPhone, mini iPad with beautiful screen, thinner, lighter and faster iPad, major redesign of iOS with more useful features, quicker and more powerful version of OS X
2014 - iWatch? Apple TV set? New iPads, iPhones

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
This shows off a better arrangements of events as I lived through them…

1998 - iMac
1999 - iBook
2000 - OSX
2001 - iPod
2002 - Airport
2004 - iPod mini (nano/shuffle)
2005 - Mac Mini
2006 - Apple TV, Intel Macs
2007 - iPhone
2008 - Macbook Air
2010 - iPad
2011 - Spaceship Campus

under Tim

2012 - thicker iPad, taller iPhone, smaller iPad
2013 - plastic iPhone, thicker mini iPad, mini MacPro
2014 - bigger iPad, bigger iPhone

There has clearly been a slow down with new devices or radical redesign of existing devices, aside from the MacPro this December.

2013 - free OSX, iWork & iLife

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
it is ??

I don't feel improved in any way...... But i DO know, i'm the only kid on the block with one :)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Bullgunk. I'm more than welcome to post whatever I want in this thread as long as it sticks to the topic. I posted that I don't really like Apple's marketing, which is pretty much what the thread is about. See it as whining or bitching if you really want but I'd say your post has more of that about me. All my OP was

I find this sort of marketing sickly, but I guess Apple has always been the first to show off how breathtakingly amazingly awesomely revolutionary and unapologetically magical their products apparently are.

It seems to make people tick, so I guess it works.

I really don't see how I was complaining and moaning about nothing what so ever. I was simply commenting that I dislike Apple's marketing. Don't like my posts, don't read them. Don't bitch at me like an 11 year old girl (calling me a spec-whore amongst other things) because I don't conform to your expectations or smother Apple in praise 24/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.