Apple Debuts Redesigned Web Interface for iOS and Mac Apps

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple recently introduced an all new design for App Store apps on the web, with a new, cleaner interface that puts screenshots and critical information front and center.

You can see the new redesigned interface by accessing or searching for any iOS or Mac app while on the web. With iOS apps, you'll see a clear notice that you need to open up the App Store to download the app, while with a Mac app, you'll get a notice letting you know you need to open up the Mac App Store.

[​IMG]

App listings include the app's name, icon, and screenshots, along with information like star rating, ranking, purchase price and whether or not there are in-app purchases.

While an app's description used to be the first thing that came up when accessing an app on the web, it's now listed underneath screenshots, which, as 9to5Mac points out, are iPhone X screenshots. App Store webpages also include a listing of what's new, select reviews, app size, and a list of related apps.

[​IMG]

The change to the way apps are displayed on the web comes following the launch of iTunes 12.7, which entirely eliminated the built-in App Store for iOS apps. With no App Store in iTunes, iOS apps can only be downloaded directly on an iPhone or iPad, rather than downloaded on a Mac and then transferred to an iOS device.

When making the change, Apple didn't really alter the way apps were displayed on the web, which had the potential to be confusing. The new look is much more streamlined and makes it clearer how apps can be downloaded on an iOS device.

Because of the elimination of the App Store in iTunes 12.7, some users have decided to continue using iTunes 12.6.3, which does include App Store functionality. Apple made iTunes 12.6.3 available for its educational and business customers who need iTunes to install apps, but it is also available to the general public.

Article Link: Apple Debuts Redesigned Web Interface for iOS and Mac Apps

2. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

3. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

Still counting down to the complete App Store overhaul.

4. fede777 macrumors newbie

fede777

Still no zoom on the screenshots, or more than 5. Videos still only on devices, not the web.

5. katbel, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

katbel macrumors regular

katbel

Nice cleanup but ..
    Too bad that you cannot check the reviews by date or by ratings anymore. Same in iOS
    Ratings = useless :(
    To check those you need to go in the Mac App store or to have iTunes 12.6.3

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

So, for those using an older device, let's recap:

* You could not purchase/download apps from their old website - Apple says that you need to use iOS.

* You cannot purchase/download apps from old versions of iOS - Apple says that you need to use iTunes.

* You cannot purchase/download apps from a current iTunes build - Apple removed that after with the 12.7 update.

* With their NEW website to show off apps, you still cannot purchase/download apps.

So, if you use an old device, make sure to never, ever update iTunes past 12.6.3.

7. superduperultra macrumors regular

Better, wish they had added tvOS apps as well.

8. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

They just did one for iOS 11, and it sucks. It’s worse, just like the new control center.

9. B4U, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Apple just loves to make it harder to use every day now.
    12.6.3 cannot reset plays on multiple tracks at the same time, while 12.7 does not have the App Store.
    Damn, I miss the old times when things just WORKS!

10. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

Yep. . . still running 12.6.2. No plans to update until there is a good reason or I screw up. ;-)

11. jacobweber macrumors newbie

For some reason it still only shows three reviews....doesn't seem like it's possible to see more from the web.

12. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

It is still a pain to only be able to get to the iOS App Store on an iOS device. It was so much easier when I could access it from iTunes on macOS.

13. typecase macrumors 6502

typecase

The more of a power user you are, the more Apple's new screw everything ethos will affect you. It really sucks. Apple Music ruined iTunes, the direction ahead doesn't look more promising. I miss the old days. I loved organizing my music, creating smart playlists based on ratings. Now it seems the more you upgrade, the more you lose beloved features and often feels like a downgrade (see iOS updates and the battery issues, Macbook Pros, High Sierra, and iPhones).

14. Ankou_Sabat macrumors member

Ankou_Sabat

Favorites are still completely missing (not even in the iOS App Store) and only available in iTunes 12.6.3. I used to add a whole bunch of apps I would buy later to Favorites so I wouldn't forget to buy them. I guess they don't want me to do that.

15. LauraJean macrumors member

LauraJean

Thank you for the recap. Not only is it a good reminder for owners of old devices, but also for "old way" folks like me who like to use a Mac as an iTunes syncing hub when not online.

16. nadador macrumors newbie

I'm bothered by the "screen shots" in the App Store (such as in the examples shown in the story above) because they often aren't really screen shots but promotional slides prepared by the developer. Let's either make them actually be screen shots, or stop calling them that.

17. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I put a big mac pro dual quad xeon cheesegrater to work as our in-home server & media hub on our intranet. It's effortlessly running Snow Leopard and working perfectly. Of course, locating old compatible versions of software requires a bit of adventuring into illicit waters, since the App Store can't recognize what OS you're on and show you compatible versions of apples own apps, which, luckily there are alternatives for OSX, but for iOS devices, throw em in the garbage.

The version of itunes on it is an absolute pleasure to look at and use compared to the hamfisted mishmash of inconsistent design ideas the current version is.

I don't know who threw out everything Apple knew about making clean efficient UI's, but they need a boot in the heinie.

18. adamjackson macrumors 65816

In the past 6 months, I can recall at least 6 apps I wanted to download but couldn't. I clicked a link on Reddit or on this very forum on my MacBook Pro. the "open iTunes to download" link was gone and while I only sync my devices once a week, purchasing the app in iTunes would kick-off an auto download on my iOS devices so when I grabbed my iPhone to leave work or leave the house (I use the MacBook pro at home / work), I would have a fresh new app waiting for me.

While the act of getting up and unlocking my phone, opening app store and typing in a search query for what I just looked at on my mac along with reviews and screenshots isn't difficult.....the thought of it felt so stupid. Why would I leave my computer to grab another computer to purchase something?

---
    I could downgrade iTunes from the current release but that's not a fix. I know the feature isn't coming back but developers have missed out on me trying their apps since Apple made this change.

19. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

I'm doing exactly this, though I do wonder how much longer it'll work.

20. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Open the App Store app on your iPad or iPhone. Not hard.

21. cmaier macrumors G4

Meanwhile the Mac App Store features tumbleweeds blowing slowly by...

22. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Is it possible to roll back from 12.6.3 to 12.6.2?

23. gaanee macrumors 65816

It seems you cannot launch iTunes from the web interface to show the app.. 12.7 removed it but 12.6.3 still has the app store which Apple release after 12.7
    Previously, on the web, the app used to show a button to open in iTunes.
    What's the point to this web interface if it can't take you to the appstore where you can download it?

24. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Because that functionality is oficially deprecated. Expect the appstore inside iTunes to completely stop working on older verisons of iTunes in the near future. Download as much as you can from there while you can.