Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Apple can’t answer these questions because then it becomes clear how much China does influence Apple. My only wish for Apple is that they can diversify their manufacturing around the world instead of all in China.
Please name 5 hard facts that support your thesis. Otherwise it's just opinion making, which you know everywhere.

Reactions: senttoschool

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Youngster? I was born in '57, does that make me a youngster? I'm also a 10-year combat Veteran of the US Army. And you, when did you serve?
You are two years older than me. What the heck does serving in any military have to do with this?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Youngster? I was born in '57, does that make me a youngster? I'm also a 10-year combat Veteran of the US Army. And you, when did you serve?
You are two years older than me. What the heck does serving in any military have to do with this?
Seriously? I mean seriously?

A recent comment by the ‘Commandeer’ in chief;
“We’ve got control of the oil......”
For some reason rgbrock1 thinks that by being a 10 year combat veteran, he has an objective unbiased opinion of what his masters have been orchestrating (with him nothing but a poor pawn) over many years.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

For some reason rgbrock1 thinks that by being a 10 year combat veteran, he has an objective unbiased opinion of what his masters have been orchestrating (with him nothing but a poor pawn) over many years.
I agree but at the same time those pawns are supposed to do as they’re told no matter what. (Well, unless they KNOW an order is illegal).
What the equates to is years of indoctrination. The military is like a cult that’s essential to the survival of a country.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
First it was Hollywood in the 1940s and 1950s. Now it's Silicon Valley?

4Rvc1di.png

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I agree but at the same time those pawns are supposed to do as they’re told no matter what. (Well, unless they KNOW an order is illegal).
What the equates to is years of indoctrination. The military is like a cult that’s essential to the survival of a country.
True. Unfortunately since WW2 the vast majority of military initiatives have been for very dubious reasons and solved little and in fact, created more problems at the expense of monetary and human resources. But some still cheer this on.

Reactions: jw2002

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Wait.... did he say”...entanglements with authoritarian regimes...” with a straight face? When the US government has had documented entanglements with dictatorships the world over for over the last 50 years! Pot calling kettle black

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Why is this sounding like the 'red scare' of the McCarthy hearings. Amazing. And especially so because they practically pushed American jobs to China, the political class and Wall Street I'm referring to.

The was some of them act, you would have thought they slept through the whole offshoring rush, and woke up and found out about it fresh. It boggles the mind.

The Chamber of Commerce, the Heritage Foundation, and just about every right wing coop in the country was pushing whole hog to move as much as they could to China, and then other 'hell holes', and now because their lack of hygiene and food safety standards blows up in China's, and their faces, the chickens in Congress get all upset. It should come with a laugh track. Seriously...

China became the power it is because in order to manufacture the good we've been binging on for a decade, they needed to know how they worked. You can't give someone the recipe and then slam them for learning how to make that, and then make it better and steal your market. The Covid-19 episode is another way to pick at the scab of Americans looking for work. There is no serious plan to bring jobs back to America, because they costs are too high, but they will say anything to get the focus off all the other drama, and dup people to vote for them. (Anyone remember the promise before the 2018 elections?)

The investor class loves their tax cuts, and they aren't going to want to change it for anything.

But anyway. Apple works with the Chinese government because they have to. They are that big. Especially in China. How many 'employees' are put to work making the products for the rest of us? How much money does the Chinese government make by having Apple there. To spank Apple for that is ridiculous. How many 'company towns' are scattered across this country? I live in one. If 'the company' gets a cold, the whole area gets the shakes. Whatever...

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
True. Unfortunately since WW2 the vast majority of military initiatives have been for very dubious reasons and solved little and in fact, created more problems at the expense of monetary and human resources. But some still cheer this on.
For sure and whilst we should recognise those that sacrifice themselves and those that don’t but that put themselves as risk of such a thing we need to be able to speak freely.
I think political leaders especially play on this as they know it’s not the done thing to criticise the troops. So they big them up at every opportunity without really meaning or understanding what they are saying.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wait.... did he say”...entanglements with authoritarian regimes...” with a straight face? When the US government has had documented entanglements with dictatorships the world over for over the last 50 years! Pot calling kettle black

And the current leader lauding the worlds current dictators with praise and kudos too...

And he's from Missouri? Maybe he should be working to raise Missouri out of the crater they have been in for the past decades? Missouri has got to be in the bottom 10 or 15 for just about everything in the nation, and this clown focuses on Apple? Good grief...
[automerge]1582658303[/automerge]
The congressman is a tool, but he is right about needing to know why Apple is failing to follow the same standards they claim to cherish so much. Freedom should be for everyone, not just US citizens.

China kills people that try to gain freedom. Any talk of unionization, or 'workers rights' are met with near military force. A happy employee is a problem...

Reactions: brendu and 2010mini

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Come on, you fxxk politicians, Xi, Trump, Hawley, CCP, you've already gotten a lot of powers, please LEAVE ALONE people's normal life and companies' regular business decisions, just play your personal POWER HUNGRY games in your assigned office ON YOUR OWN!!!!!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Come on, you fxxk politicians, Xi, Trump, Hawley, CCP, you've already gotten a lot of powers, please LEAVE ALONE people's normal life and companies' regular business decisions, just play your personal POWER HUNGRY games in your assigned office ON YOUR OWN!!!!!

But they wouldn't win elections if they did that.
[automerge]1582663625[/automerge]
so sick of your ****.jpg

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Good for them. We are not all at the beck and call of random polticians who want to grand stand. Sometimes saying no is the best answer. And I think we screwed up getting so integrated in a murderous tyrannical country like China - but that doesn't mean we should have to run when blowhards of either party (and they are all blowhards) want us to show up.

Reactions: Already in use

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Hurry! Someone tell the tech companies. That sounds solidly within the purview of responsibility for anyone selling electronic baubles in their country... they should be invited to congressional hearings to explain themselves!!! It’s DEFINITELY their job to step in and do something. Apple & Facebook are considered countries and have their own reps in the United Nations, right?

/s
Not sure how you got there from my post and the person I was replying to...
[automerge]1582677468[/automerge]
Your answer completely invalidates mine right? If you want to play one upmanship fine, as on the subject of countries illegitimately using military force, with China the US as your subjects, you'll lose......

Educate yourself.
[automerge]1582653693[/automerge]

I've just replied to another poster so won't repeat myself here, but the same applies.

no the same point does not apply. You specifically said the Chinese military wasn’t trying to steal resources they have no claim to. I pointed out how that’s exactly what they’re doing and you wanna call that one upping? No it’s pointing out your claim about China was utter nonsense meant to make the US look bad and China good.
[automerge]1582677774[/automerge]

Which we gave to the recognized government of the territory, not the terrorist thugs who were in control of it before our military tore them apart and made them scatter into the desert. The United States did not steal the oil for itself as you’re implying.

Last edited:

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
* ** ** ** *!

America's attempts at containing China will utterly fail. If you want to beat them, you can't impose double standards and be a hypocrite.
[automerge]1582634864[/automerge]

Hasn't failed thus far, the Chinese economy has been struggling hard even before covid19 started up. That is why they were forced to capitulate on the phase 1 deal. I work with China and everybody in the business community knows the economy sucks due to America's "containment", if thats what you want to call it.
[automerge]1582679164[/automerge]
Josh Hawley voted against allowing testimony in the Senate trial for Donald Trump, so he has zero business expecting anyone to bother to testify for his own inquiries on China. What a joke.

Hahaha.

You think you're smarter than you really are.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
If the country in question is anything but China, Tim Cook & Co. are breaking their heels running to testify.
[automerge]1582635747[/automerge]

They honestly should follow Nokia's '90s/2000s manufacturing model. They used to have the best in the world. For Asia and Australia, they used factories in China and Vietnam; for the Americas, they used Mexico and Brazil; for Europe and Africa, they used Finland and Russia.

Read that back slowly… that part about "follow Nokia"? 4 words… "Where are they now?"

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Read that back slowly… that part about "follow Nokia"? 4 words… "Where are they now?"

If Microsoft's Trojan Horse (Stephen Elop) did not purposely drive down the company's value to make it cheaper for Microsoft's eventual takeover, badmouth its products before their next OS is ready (MeeGo) and incentivize the board members for approving the Microsoft merger, they would still be huge today.

With that said, Nokia is still around, as a networks company. They also have a phone business with HMD Global, comprised of old Nokia employees.

MDF314159265

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Temecula, CA
It is unbelievable how blind the West has been to China's ambitions and actions to achieve its goals. The West offshoring millions of jobs so companies could show a better ledger sheet in the short term may not have been the crux of the problem but it was part. Now that Bud and Mary in Topeka are slaves to shopping at Walmart it will be hard to correct these huge mistake.

I don’t think it’s so much the west being “blind” to China’s actions around the world, but rather America’s media failing to share such info. It wouldn’t get ratings, so why bother?
Australia has a regular fire season like Cali, but it made news this year. Why?
The amazon regularly has jungles set ablaze to make room for cash crops, but that also doesn’t always make the news. Why?
There was a massive volcanic eruption near the Philippines about a month ago, but our media didn’t report that. Why? I’m sure there’s more to it, but I’m sure one reason is: ratings. Only report the “hot” stories.... no pun intended.

For the same reason we meddle in the affairs of Middle Eastern nations: US interests. The only reason we don't send our boys into China is because China isn't as easy to pick on as Iran, Turkey, Iraq, Afghanistan and so on.

It’s far, far more complex than you have put it here. Yes, US interests are at stake, but even this predates the oil rush (look up how the Marine nickname “leatherneck” originated). More critically, we have a solid ally in the ME that needs us as much as we need them. Don’t doubt for a second that they aren’t worth protecting either. For starters, much of the latest tech in your iPhone comes from that ally of ours.

This isn’t in regard to ME oil - this statement is in regard to the oil we’ve been pumping and exporting from our own land/coastlines.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I don’t think it’s so much the west being “blind” to China’s actions around the world, but rather America’s media failing to share such info. It wouldn’t get ratings, so why bother?
Australia has a regular fire season like Cali, but it made news this year. Why?
The amazon regularly has jungles set ablaze to make room for cash crops, but that also doesn’t always make the news. Why?
There was a massive volcanic eruption near the Philippines about a month ago, but our media didn’t report that. Why? I’m sure there’s more to it, but I’m sure one reason is: ratings. Only report the “hot” stories.... no pun intended.

It’s far, far more complex than you have put it here. Yes, US interests are at stake, but even this predates the oil rush (look up how the Marine nickname “leatherneck” originated). More critically, we have a solid ally in the ME that needs us as much as we need them. Don’t doubt for a second that they aren’t worth protecting either. For starters, much of the latest tech in your iPhone comes from that ally of ours.

This isn’t in regard to ME oil - this statement is in regard to the oil we’ve been pumping and exporting from our own land/coastlines.
I guarantee you the US have been stealing and controlling oil out there for ages. Ages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.