Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macwatcher

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2006
St. Paul, MN
Big whoop. The development cycle and overall delay is still INCREDIBLY less than Windows Vista. Apple still knows how to do it right.

INCREDIBLY LESS!!

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Big whoop. The development cycle and overall delay is still INCREDIBLY less than Windows Vista. Apple still knows how to do it right.

INCREDIBLY LESS!!

So long as we aren't as crap as Microsoft, everything is fine! Microsoft is the benchmark!

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
It has to be realized also that it probably irritates Apple as much as the users that the final product isn't ready by a targeted release date. Missing deadlines costs money for Apple in addition to lost revenue. There are a lot of people who are waiting on a hardware purchase for Leopard, in addition to the software.

Let alone that they lose possible Windows converts who could be captured based on a product roll out.

This can be a sign that Apple is trying to incorporate too much into the OS to the point where the iPhone tangent made a real difference. Of course building a new major software version is much like building a new attraction. Sometimes, you run into unforeseen problems or have to divert resources and that equals delays.

Don't worry folks, I'm sure this delay will be all but forgotten once it comes out.

jnash

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007
Michigan
guys you never know what Apple will do, alot of people was having this problem with Windows PC's and people didnt want to buy a new PC until Windows Vista came out, thats when they started the free upgrade to Vista program which worked out great. Apple may take the same marketing strategy and give customers who purchase a new mac a free upgrade to the new o/s.

Mtseilback

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
free upgrade coupon?

i agree with jnash. maybe there will be a “update your OS for free if you bought a new mac up to 3 months before the release of 10.5″ coupon.

i bought my ibook 2 years ago, 2-3 months before tiger was released. when tiger came out 2 months (or so) later, i was given a free upgrade disk for tiger… MAYBE we can hope they’ll do something similar again for leopard...:)

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
guys you never know what Apple will do, alot of people was having this problem with Windows PC's and people didnt want to buy a new PC until Windows Vista came out, thats when they started the free upgrade to Vista program which worked out great. Apple may take the same marketing strategy and give customers who purchase a new mac a free upgrade to the new o/s.

This is not going to happen.

1. Apple has a much smaller user base and thus a much smaller percentage of people even know what Leopard is. The average customer only knows OS X, not the different versions of it.

1a. Since there is a lot less people that know about it theres a lot less talk about it through the media and what not. It's also not been 5+ years since the last update to our OS and not totally different unlike Vista where it was supposed to be mind blowing which contributed to peoples knowledge of it.

2. Apple does not care if you wait until October. They couldn't careless if they sell the computers in June or in October. Both times they get a similar margin on the purchase. Its not like thats the only thing they sell and they will go out of business if they there is a buying drought.

3. EDU sales will most likely happen one way or another because students NEED there computer by September generally. Schools purchases will still go through because Summer is pretty much the most effective time to get a project like that done.

I personally think any talk of "coupons" or "free upgrades" are just people that are kidding themselves.

We might see something for people who bought it the week before or something, but not 3 months.

sellitman

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
CT
I will buy the new system

Looks like I'll be buying my iMac in the next month, and will probably never upgrade to Leopard. Once I buy a computer I rarely, if ever, upgrade the OS. Oh well, at least I'll have my iMac.

It's only 139 bucks. Upgrading my iMac will be a breeze. I will put off my Macbook purchase though until the new system is shipping though. I bet I won't be alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.