Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Delivers Desktop MobileMe 'Push' Services with 10.5.6

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the most notable improvements that accompanied yesterday's Mac OS X 10.5.6 update was the delivery of long promised MobileMe Push functionality to desktop and notebook Macs.

Despite advertising their MobileMe service as providing Push services from your Mac, Apple's original implementation only offered intermittent sync services. Apple acknowledged the mistake in an apology letter and said they wouldn't use the term "Push" until it was "near-instant".

Mac OS X 10.5.6 has brought this service much closer to the original description. Apple has updated their technote to describe the process as it stands:
Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks sync automatically (generally within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or on the web at me.com).
The "within a minute" syncing is offered to Contacts, Calendars and Bookmarks alone. Other items such as Mail Notes, and 3rd party applications will only sync on an hourly basis, with some data (Keychains, Mail Rules) syncing every 8 hours. These new benefits are not yet available to Windows MobileMe users whose data still syncs in 15 minute intervals.

Article Link: Apple Delivers Desktop MobileMe 'Push' Services with 10.5.6

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
woohoo. I noticed this before I went to bed last night and was happy to finally see it. Does it really matter to me in terms of productivity? Honestly, no. I don't use my machine for business. But boy is it annoying having my iPhone ding for a new email and waiting to see it show up on my Mac. Those days are gone :)

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
About time eh?

Hopefully it'll be smooth and not an inconsistent thing like everything else has been.

Comment

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Mine won't install. It say the "package is damaged". WFT??? :eek:

I have an iBook G4...

Do you mean the 10.5.6 update? There's another thread with a bunch of answers. If that's the case, you probably just need to delete the file that was partially downloaded and grab it from Apple's website directly rather than through Software Update.

Comment

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
No change for me, still takes 15-20 minutes for the sync icon to start spinning. :(

EDIT: Sorry, I take it back - wasn't working last night, but is working a treat now. :)

Since my (amazingly extended) trial of MobileMe expires in month (had it since MobileMe release date and got that many extensions) I'll definitely be keeping it up now.

Yay!

Comment

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Now if they just released custom ringtone support with Mobile Me.
:( :cool:

Comment

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
GCal support?

Okay, so now that this is working, and now that Google has published a tool to actively sync Gcal with iCal, can we get apple to support syncing synced Gcal calendars via MM to the iPhone?

If you can make sense of that, 10 points.

Comment

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
That's certainly a step in the right direction, but until it can sync with an Exchange Server (like Google does), it is still useless for a lot of people.

Comment

Penguinwrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Edgewater, NJ
That's certainly a step in the right direction, but until it can sync with an Exchange Server (like Google does), it is still useless for a lot of people.

I'd be pretty surprised if we didn't see this in Snow Leopard. I'm actually fairly surprised it hasn't been rolled out already. I mean, if you can sync exchange with iPhone, I can't see any reason not to do it with iCal.

Comment

spoon00

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
Calendar Syncing Still Broken

But they still haven't fixed syncing calendars. I purchased a new MBP and all I get when syncing is an error about inconsistent data. I've done all the forum suggestions I can find and no dice.

Comment

dzoolander

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
MobileMe Birthday

Has anyone noticed that you still cannot sync birthday calendar with Iphone and iCal? I thought this was going be resolved with the new update. In the iphone first generation if you placed a birthday for a contact you had it synced with iCal calendar. The fact that we are unable to this sucks.

Comment

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
But they still haven't fixed syncing calendars. I purchased a new MBP and all I get when syncing is an error about inconsistent data. I've done all the forum suggestions I can find and no dice.

Have you tried resetting the mobile servers? Make sure your ical stuff is correct on your mac and then go into the advanced syncing prefs in the MobileMe pref pane. You can have it copy over all the stuff on the server using your Mac's calendar, mail, etc. Then they will be identical. Then I guess you could see if things improve from there. Just be sure you sync in the proper direction! You wouldn't want to sync the other way because you would overwrite all of your stuff on your Mac with the info from the mobileme server.

Comment

caffeinejoe

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Fort McMurray, AB. CANADA

My calendars have always sync'd with no problems. I continue to get the "inconsistent data" error when I attempt to sync my address book.

Comment

Gugulino

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
Calendar subscriptions

If you have issues with iCal syncing then you should read this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1213

Apple told me to delete all calendar subscriptions even the birthday calendar from Adressbook, because they are causing problems with syncing to MobileMe.
Now, syncing is also instant for iCal on my Mac!

Comment

Mercellus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
MobileMe has been working great from the start here, and now it's even better with the improvements that have been made with synchronizing. I'm glad that I did not cancel my subscription earlier on when they were having issues.

Comment

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Has anyone noticed that you still cannot sync birthday calendar with Iphone and iCal? I thought this was going be resolved with the new update. In the iphone first generation if you placed a birthday for a contact you had it synced with iCal calendar. The fact that we are unable to this sucks.

This update is a step in the right direction, but more needs to be done.

I agree that it is annoying that any subscribed calendars do not sync with MobileMe.

As someone else said, Ringtones need to sync as well.

Let's also not forget about Emailing Large Files through iDisk still has not shown up yet.

Comment

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
So we will definitely be getting Push Notification with the next iPhone update? :D

Comment

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I wonder if it's really "push" - i.e., the applications push out the data when it changes - or if Apple has just decreased the time interval between OS syncing with MobileMe.

BTW, for anyone who has trouble with syncing issues, Apple support has an iChat service for MobileMe. I had trouble syncing my contact information when MM first started; a couple sessions with them fixed it and I've had no problems since.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.