Apple deluxe in ear headphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shrub, Oct 13, 2008.

1. shrub macrumors newbie

I have just participated in an online chat with the UK apple store as I wanted to know when the deluxe in ear headphones are going to be released (as they have been 'coming soon' for ages).

They couldn't give an arrival date but they confirmed that they wouldn't function with the iPhone!

I assumed that the guy meant that the microphone on the headphones wouldn't function but he confirmed that the headphones would not function at all (including sound output).

Only Apple could produce a pair or new deluxe iPod headphones that don't work with their flagship iPod product (and don't come back at me saying that the iPhone isn't an iPod as it blatently is).

Time to find a third party product that will do the job then.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yeah, its definately sucky that Apple chose not to make their fancy new headphones work for the iphone. Ticked me off too.

However, there *are* some good third party stereo headsets out there. I have a pair Sennheiser MM50 iP's that I really like.

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

surely there'll be an iPhone-specific version to be released?

4. minik macrumors 65816

Seriously? I guess Apple wants iPhone users to get back into the iPod market and pick the iPod classic 120GB, iPod nano 4th generation (video), or iPod touch 2nd generation.

$79 in-ear headphone and limited to 3 iPod models, just insane.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Doesn't it say right on the product page that it isn't compatible with the iPhone?

6. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I'm sorry, until I see an actual review stating this, I find it hard to believe that Apple would make proprietary headphones.
    People love to make drones that work Apple stores, prophets but I'm a little more skeptical.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It just says what it is compatible with…

Attached Files:

8. filman408 macrumors regular

Only the volume control will not work on the iphone. The audio pass, play/pause button, and mic should work just fine.

They are basically the :apple:iphone headsets, but with better buds and volume controls.

9. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

this is really a joke. just like the no genius update for the classic....
    Luckily my girlfriend gave me the Ultimate Ears as a present and I really LOVE them!!!

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Well, deductive reasoning would tell one the inverse as well.

11. shrub thread starter macrumors newbie

This thread wasn't started to complain that Apple didn't publicise the incompatibility of the headphones but to generally complain about the design decision that has been made.

The Apple representative clearly stated that this is not the case. Audio pass through apparently does not function but I am only going on what I was told and they might have been wrong (which in itself is pretty poor coming from Apple themselves).

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

When the first generation iPod touch came out, I asked an Apple Employee if the headphone jack was recessed and they informed me that it was in fact recessed and I would have to buy a special adapter in order to use any headphones. Not ALL Apple employees know everything about a brand new product. The headphones aren't even out yet... the employee was probably just figuring that audio would not play through them because it doesn't say "Compatible with iPhone" on it. Relax... I'm sure audio will pass right through it.

13. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I am convinced that the Apple Store employee's are instructed to never, ever say "I don't know".
    And if they don't know, go the safe route (i.e. no)

I asked an easy question that a competent Apple Store employee should know...

Does the regular iPod dock charge the iPhone 3g?

He, without missing a beat, said, nope.

A simple, "I'm not sure but I doubt it" would have sufficed.

He was 100% wrong of course.

14. minik macrumors 65816

Well, my iPod charger doesn't charge my iPhone 3G.

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

My Universal Dock, that I got for my 4th gen iPhone 20GB does. It even syncs too! :D

16. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Probably not. And don't call me Shirley. :D
    This is what it says: The remote and mic are supported only by iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (120GB), and iPod touch (2nd generation). Audio is supported by all iPod models. So it will probably be compatible with the iPhone, but only for audio.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm pretty sure you meant 4th generation iPod 20GB? :confused:

18. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Do non-deluxe headphones that are coming out the same time as these work with the iphone... maybe those will work for u

19. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If the audio on the new headphones will work on any iPod, it'll work on an iPhone. The buttons may not, but you'll get sound.

21. shrub thread starter macrumors newbie

This statement assumes that Apple classifies the iPhone as an iPod.

Common sense dictates that this is the case but common sense does not always prevail I'm afraid.

Why on earth the microphone and remote are definately not supported simply baffles me. Out of all of the 'iPod' products, surely the iPhone would benefit most from this functionality.

22. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Well when the iPhone was first unveiled/released, Apple was billing it as "the best iPod ever".

23. chomby1991 macrumors member

Its not a matter of they just decide that they should allow iphone to support it its a hardware issue. the iphone uses a 3.5mm jack still but there is an extra white band meaning three terminals. this allows 2 for the stereo audio as required and then another one for button input because there is only one button on the standard iphone headphones. the new earphones were released after the iphone 3g and so they did not make the 5 (dont quote on the figure) terminals required for the new earphones in the iphone 3g. the new headphones would have 4 bands around the jack for 5 different terminals 2 for audio and 3 for buttons.

as i understand it the audio and click buttons will still be wired similarly or at least the audio terminals will be wired similarly to the iphone 3g. this is because it says that audio is supported by other ipod models. meaning that it has the same shaped 3.5mm jacks that are universally used in the average mp3 player allowing most headphones to fit. since the iphone 3g will allow standard (non-apple) earphones it will also support audio for the new apple earphones. take my word that audio will work but volume control will not and the other click button is possibly going to work.

24. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

25. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

As they're not readily available and not yet reviewed, lets not jump the gun m'kay? Dual drivers for $79/£55 is definitely not rip off. The fact that they won't fully work with the iPhone is a major disappoinment though, and thoroughly shortsighted. If a fraction of the 10mil+ iPhone users bought them because they did work...

And adding a cable extension to a set of headphones which also have a longer than normal cable isn't exactly user friendly...