Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared an ad titled "The Rescue" that demonstrates the iPhone 14's new Emergency SOS via Satellite safety feature in action. The video was first shared during Apple's September event for the iPhone 14, and it has now been shared on a standalone basis and will likely air as a TV commercial over the coming months.

The dramatic video shows first responders boarding a helicopter and flying towards a couple on the top of a mountain after they contacted emergency services with the Emergency SOS via Satellite feature, which launches today in the U.S. and Canada. The feature is available on all four iPhone 14 models running iOS 16.1 or later.

Emergency SOS via Satellite allows iPhone 14 models to connect directly to a satellite, enabling users to send text messages to emergency services when outside the range of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage. Apple says a text message might take 15 seconds to send via satellite in "ideal conditions with a direct view of the sky and the horizon," but foliage or other obstructions can result in delays or no connection entirely.

Apple says the feature will be expanded to France, Germany, Ireland, and the UK in December, but it did not provide a specific release date.

When available, an option to send a text message via Emergency SOS via Satellite will appear after dialing 911 outside the range of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage. There is also a demo mode in the Settings app under Emergency SOS that allows users to test out the satellite connectivity without contacting emergency responders.

Article Link: Apple Demonstrates Emergency SOS via Satellite in Ad as Feature Launches

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Demo working already.
Definitely have to be outside... couldn't get a signal in my house.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 10.06.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 10.06.35 AM.png
    801.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 10.09.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 10.09.18 AM.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 10.09.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 10.09.31 AM.png
    192 KB · Views: 101

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
The thing they aren't telling you is that the bill you can get (not always, but often) for a rescue can be considerable. In my region, this can be a minimum of $6000 (short helicopter air ambulance ride) to well over $20K (SAR team extraction).
Same sort of thing that happened on the Breitling Emergency watch.... GULP !!!!

fullfast

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Was thinking as well, wouldn't it be a great idea if they put that sort of distress beacon functionality into the Ultra watch.......oh that will be in Watch Ultra 2.0 ;-)

Eaon

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2004
Canada
The mind is not always thinking logical in a life threatening situation
Agreed, but this is an actress and an educational type commercial, maybe they could throw that in there and teach people little tricks of what you should actually do in an emergency situation. Not everyone has taken a wilderness first aid course. She did splint his leg with a tree branch so I'm guessing she has. Did she just not pay attention to the rest of the class where they cover things like how to get found when you're lost in the woods? 🙂

Reactions: NMBob

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
The thing they aren't telling you is that the bill you can get (not always, but often) for a rescue can be considerable. In my region, this can be a minimum of $6000 (short helicopter air ambulance ride) to well over $20K (SAR team extraction).

Would that be a consideration someone should take into account when the other option would likely be death?

Graphikos

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Including the ability to demo the feature is brilliant. I do a lot of solo camping and backpacking and I want to test the feature out so I know what it can do and how it works in case I actually need it. Beyond that, I'm very happy about the ability to send my location out even in non-emergencies.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
When I was in a serious motorcycle accident years ago my helicopter ride to the hospital was $16,000. Never once did that deter me from going.. what a weird thing to worry about when you’re dying.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Demo working already.
Definitely have to be outside... couldn't get a signal in my house.
Yep found this after mid morning on my 14 ProMax will go out later and test demo just to be familiar. Not normally in no cell situations except when out west fossil hunting and traveling out there which is rare these days.

FDC7AC6F-066B-490F-9C06-39B57F460F07.jpeg

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Simply pay with Apple Card and break up your payments over 12 months. Think of the Daily Cash earnings. 🤪

This is actually a pretty cool feature that I hope to never have to use. But should I need it…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.