Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
The thing they aren't telling you is that the bill you can get (not always, but often) for a rescue can be considerable. In my region, this can be a minimum of $6000 (short helicopter air ambulance ride) to well over $20K (SAR team extraction).

I came across a similarly serious motorcycle accident a few year ago, provided first response. This was in an area two hours from the nearest hospital and well out of cell range. The stupid guy refused the helicopter ride when the chopper arrived due to the cost. Ended up losing most of his right foot.

Some people DO make stupid decisions due to the cost of this sort of thing. I would wager that most people using iPhones and made aware of this feature are unaware that there are sometimes substantial costs associated with rescues, which was entirely my point- nothing more.
Of course people make bad decisions based on cost. Those who can't afford medication often do without it to their own detriment.

Does it really matter if they don't know about the cost of rescue? Does it matter if they called for emergency service or a passerby called? The cost of rescue would still be there regardless. They can still refuse service regardless of how it got there.

This whole anti Apple and satellite SOS thing mortifies and saddens me to see how cynical and absurd some people think. Apple has a free (for now) service that can save your life. We don't know what it will cost after 2 years. Perhaps it will be a $20 one time charge. Perhaps a $100. But people are coming up with unbelievable scenarios to criticize the new service. They are worried about their iPhone having a discharged battery, as if they want Apple to fix a problem they are responsible for. And on and on with ridiculous scenarios that are not specific to this service.

So many people here have no sense of perspective. Common sense takes a vacation for so many here. Apple is always being criticized for so many things (often very unfairly and out of malice). Here Apple did a great thing and yet so many here are finding ways to condemn Apple. Incredibly sad to see.

Reactions: Abazigal

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Chopper rides are minimum 10k, but usually 20k. FYI... I mean, it's better than dying of dehyration, starvation, or exposure, but yeah... just don't get lost.

What would really be nice is being able to download a region of maps to your phone prior to losing cell coverage. This happened to be a few weeks ago. I didn't get lost but the maps would've been nice.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
And a license earned by taking the ham radio operator test. I’m all for ham radio, but it’s not likely the answer for most people.
Like you, I live in Utah and spend a lot of time in the backcountry. Nearly ten years ago I decided to look into the hobby and ended up getting a license. Now I try not to do any travel into no cell coverages areas without my radio(s).

Nope, this is the first time I'm hearing the term "ham radio". And now I'm hungry...
Also known as amateur radio. I don't know if I would necessarily call it a "weird '80s thing" as it is still used and evolving today. But I could see how some aspects of ham radio certainly can seem archaic. There are a lot of fascinating things you can do with ham radio, even if the technology seems outdated. You should at least look into it.

smelly feet

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
Bunch of inexperienced idiots out in the middle of nowhere with no supplies and a tiny day pack, and the guy twists his ankle. Morons lol.
I totally agree that this tool will enable people who don't know any better to venture beyond the edge and get into bad situations. But it's not just the inexperienced who get into trouble. When was the last time you read a report of a newbie mountaineer falling off a mountain? All the stories I read say the same thing: "Highly experienced climber falls from peak." or "Seasoned expert back country skier caught in avalanche." Broad access to the ability to "call home" from "nowhere" will drive even more exposure to potential tragedy. It's all a matter of exposure. The more you take risks, the more likely your are to meet your demise.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
I wouldn't call this an alternative to Apple's SOS, this requires a separate device...
Yes, a separate device but it is compact. It can also communicate much farther distances than a cell phone for voice. There are radio relay features that can surpass cell phone technology too. In the deep woods/desert a portable ham radio might be a great backup. Getting a Ham Radio license is easy. https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/amateur-radio-service

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Yes, a separate device but it is compact. It can also communicate much farther distances than a cell phone for voice. There are radio relay features that can surpass cell phone technology too. In the deep woods/desert a portable ham radio might be a great backup. Getting a Ham Radio license is easy. https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/amateur-radio-service
I'm sure all of what you're saying is correct, but you're still comparing Apple to oranges. :D

Reactions: Edsel

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
I kind of wish this ad featured the United States Coast Guard, which would receive a recruiting benefit from the exposure that Apple could give them, and which the Coast Guard could never otherwise afford. Next time, Apple! You'll do another variant — get in touch with the Coast Guard.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
When I see a post like this on MR I come to the comments section just to see the cynicism and snarky remarks at something good.

Sadly, you can count on it. On just about every story. Such posts help some people to feel better about themselves with that wee bit of power that is otherwise lacking.

Reactions: Seoras

dinobear

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
That ad seems a bit dramatic. They should have shown a gory accident with people crying with trauma for that heli ride.

So many incorrect perceptions going on here. The point that Toratek and anyone else talking about the cost is making is that people in these situations are not able to make an informed choice. If you life is literally on the line and you are going to die, then you are going to use the service no matter what the cost is. However, if you are in a position where you are severely injured and you know the service is going to cost $20K then you might try and think if there is any other option. This is not an either/or binary situation, there are layers to each person's "emergency" situation.

I know it would be easy to say "well if you aren't going to die then you shouldn't be using the service". But that is a hard line to draw and not always understandable in the situation. If you talk to rescue teams, sometimes people need rescuing because they didn't identify soon enough that they needed it, this is aside from even having a service to use. So allowing people to have all of the information and then decide is better than surprise bills that total an amount of a new car.

So, it would be better if there was a way for the emergency service teams communicating with the person to be able to let them know and approve estimated costs before dispatching service. Obviously even better would be having emergency services for free, but that is a completely different topic :p

The thing they aren't telling you is that the bill you can get (not always, but often) for a rescue can be considerable. In my region, this can be a minimum of $6000 (short helicopter air ambulance ride) to well over $20K (SAR team extraction).

That's a really well done commercial! Great music choice too. But yeah... I wouldn't want to be stuck paying the emergency helicopter fee 😳

Even if the other option is DEATH?..

Would that be a consideration someone should take into account when the other option would likely be death?

When I was in a serious motorcycle accident years ago my helicopter ride to the hospital was $16,000. Never once did that deter me from going.. what a weird thing to worry about when you’re dying.

One has nothing to do with the other. If you'd rather die than pay for a rescue, then don't use the feature and die. Simple.

Not sure what your point is. No one is forcing you to call for help. If you're concerned about the subsequent bill, then don't use the service. It's up to you to determine how much you value your well being or life. It's your choice.

Depends. Funeral costs are more than $6k but less than $20k. Least they could do is give a billing preview. /s

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
So, it would be better if there was a way for the emergency service teams communicating with the person to be able to let them know and approve estimated costs before dispatching service. Obviously even better would be having emergency services for free, but that is a completely different topic :p
"so it looks as if saving your life will end up costing you $35998, but you can put this on your Apple Card interest free and split across 4 payments! :D

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Why not, dare I say, call 911?
An astute suggestion with only one problem...
CellphoneNoSignal-1.jpg

The only real hurdle to this satelite SOS is Apple users won't want text back if rescuers have android phones. 🙃Green bubbles?🙃😁

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Arsenikdote

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
However, if you are in a position where you are severely injured and you know the service is going to cost $20K then you might try and think if there is any other option.
Please give some examples of what those other options might be that would make you refuse an expensive rescue for a severe injury such as a compound fracture with bone sticking through your skin or a health issue such as a heart attack.

And no, I'm not talking about a mild fracture of the wrist or constipation. Odds are I can deal with those without a rescue.

Please give some examples of what those other options might be that would make you refuse an expensive rescue for a severe injury such as a compound fracture with bone sticking through your skin or a health issue such as a heart attack.

And no, I'm not talking about a mild fracture of the wrist or constipation. Odds are I can deal with those without a rescue.
That is exactly the point. YOU decide based on cost and severity. You might decide that a bone sticking out warrants a $20K rescue. Many people would likely agree. However, as you get closer to the line of what does and doesn't warrant a rescue/cost of rescue, it gets fuzzier.

It is not my job to decide or create scenarios that you may think are fitting or stupid and try to guess at it. I am sure if you want to, you can think of issues that could go either way, and if not, just reach out to your local volunteer search and rescue crew and they could likely have a better conversation about this than what would happen on this forum. That is of course assuming you actually want to understand examples and aren't just looking to argue the point.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Two years is plenty of time for Apple to monitor usage and get a better sensing of the costs and resources involved in maintaining such a service. My guess is that will be sort of hardware cost tied to it (eg: you either get 2 years with a new iPhone or maybe an ultra Apple Watch purchase, or can pay extra to maintain the service).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.