Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

225656-275785456_500.jpg

Photo by @adamtheeditor
The rumors were true. Apple did take over the on-stage portion of this year's Final Cut Pro User Group SuperMeet and used the venue to present the next version of Final Cut Pro. The new version of Final Cut Pro has been renamed to "Final Cut Pro X" and is described as a complete rewrite of the original application.

For a detailed list of new changes see our keynote coverage or see PhotographyBay for their play-by-play.

Final Cut Pro X will be a 64-bit application with Grand Central Dispatch support, allowing it to scale and use all available cores for background rendering. Comments from those who watched the demos indicated that background rendering was a big feature (no more waiting) and lots of real time effects and high performance. Final Cut Pro X will be available for $299 on the App Store in June. There was no mention of Final Cut Express or the rest of the Final Cut Studio.

Article Link: Apple Demos Final Cut Pro X at NAB 2011

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
If this really is to non-linear editing as Henry Ford was to the automobile, it's time to learn how to drive this thing like a Formula One driver...because everyone's going to THINK they know how to use this.

CoryTV

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
They should have just called this iMovie pro, because that's what it is. So, Apple Color is left to die the death of Shake, huh? Wow, crazy. I bet Avid is pretty thrilled with this. It's almost like they said "Let's leave the big installs to Avid"

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
For $299, sounds like a great deal. However, folks who have just dropped $999 on FCS are going to be angry! Wonder if there will be any sort of refund issued...

I guess I'll stick with FCS for now, since Color is great, and I know the interface. DVD Studio Pro is also quite useful, and I'm unsure how this update will affect those products.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Might be great down the road, but something tells me my FCP7 will be plenty useful for at least the next couple years.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
So this is basically a jazzed up Final Cut Express and the pros have been shown the door. Why am I not shocked about this. :mad:

Someday I'll tell my kids that Apple was the company for pros to which they will laugh in disbelief; kind of how I do now when old people tell me that American cars were once high quality.

Last edited:

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
They should have just called this iMovie pro, because that's what it is. So, Apple Color is left to die the death of Shake, huh? Wow, crazy. I bet Avid is pretty thrilled with this. It's almost like they said "Let's leave the big installs to Avid"

It's iMovie Pro yet it retains all features of the previous Final Cut and then some in a modern UI with massive performance gains? OK bro, whatever helps you sleep at night.

SimD

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
So this is basically a jazzed up Final Cut Express and the pros have been shown the door. Why am I not shocked about this. :mad:

Ugh... you guys speak as if you are all full-time film editors...

The new features are amazing! The hall that they presented at, well they were pretty much all "pros" in the industry. They were all pretty much PSYCHED about these features..

For what it's worth, I'm a film production major...

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
This is what iMovie after iMovie '06 should have been, if only because it has a PROPER FRICKIN' TIMELINE!

Was really hoping for $199, but $299 isn't bad. I might just upgrade from iMovie '06 (I'm not really a 'pro' editor, but I love my timelines!).

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Fcp x

Steve Jobs said the new version would be "awesome," well I disagree. He was completely wrong... IT IS FREAKIN' ASTOUNDING! Bravo Apple!

robotfist

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
I was following the tweets, the live blogs, and a few crappy cell phone streams during this release.

Until Apple puts up their official site, it's too early to tell if the new FCP is a game changer.

Based on the description, it sounds amazing.
Based on the terrible pictures, it looks questionable.

I always go into new software releases with an open mind. I'm hoping the new FCP is as amazing as it sounds.

Whatever it is, $299 is pretty fantastic.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Does anyone know if the new FC will take AVCHD files natively as Premiere CS5 does?

From what i gathered, if it doesn't, at the very least it transcodes them in the background as you've imported them, so you can work on them straight away.

But it might actually work natively. It was strongly suggested a lot more files could be imported natively, DSLR was mentioned.

CoryTV

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006

The new features are amazing! The hall that they presented at, well they were pretty much all "pros" in the industry. They were all pretty much PSYCHED about these features..

For what it's worth, I'm a film production major...

I'm a full time professional editor who has edited on Avid since 1997 and FCP since 2005.. Does that not count? Almost every 'pro film' editor I have ever met (and I'm talking people who make hollywood films) barely knows how to turn the machine on.

jdsam

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
Hanover, NH ... for now
What happens to FCS

So, I'm psyched to see an update to FCP, but what happens to Final Cut Studio. Is all the functionality of the other apps bundled into FCPx? I could see apple dropping DVD studio pro and bundle in the functionality of color, but who am I to say. I'm just wondering what is happening.

thoughts?

Also... they didn't mention any I/O stuff like thunderbolt. Thunderbolt seems to be the rage for all the hardware makers right now. I feel like a thunderbolt mac pro would be logical right now, but I don't know what is going on in the world of work station processors right now though. And, if they are going to have a thunderbolt mac pro a display with thunderbolt I/O seems equally logical.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
All this stuff sounds pretty cool. Lots of modern enhancements to an already popular product. It is just as SJ said, the Macs aren't going anywhere as they are needed to be the "trucks" of the world - all the conspiracy theorists that say Apple with replace OSX with iOS can just chill out :cool:

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

dodge this said:
Any word on Motion? I use it alot.

They hinted at motion controls and color as built in items with FCX. No word on the rest of the current suite. There complete lack of mention could mean bye bye suite.

leftPCbehind209

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
From what i gathered, if it doesn't, at the very least it transcodes them in the background as you've imported them, so you can work on them straight away.

But it might actually work natively. It was strongly suggested a lot more files could be imported natively, DSLR was mentioned.

Thanks, I figured as much too. Big improvement from before.

Also, way too many haters here on iMovie. For weddings, it has been so much easier to skim my clips using iMovie than FC. I don't need a whole lot to put a wedding together...iMovie has been perfect...it just lacked majorly in color correction.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
They should have just called this iMovie pro, because that's what it is. So, Apple Color is left to die the death of Shake, huh? Wow, crazy.

I think you missed the color correction on ingest, non-destructive color correction, and one-click color correction feature announcements. Color is not dead, it is just no longer a separate app. The entire app is re-written with color matching integrate to the app, and color correction as well, it sounds like.

This is what you wanted to believe and so this is all you see. Since people were saying essentially the same thing before anything had been announced, you're not going to be getting much sympathy.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

+1 The first thing I did was ask friends of mine who work on films out in CA what they thought of this and they were amazed and can't wait to get their hands on it. (I myself am no film editing expert thats why I asked my friends who are). As always though there will be the people who know nothing and flip out about how new awesome features are sucky just because its Apple who brought it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.