Apple denying me express replacement and no one knows why

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AndrewR23, Feb 10, 2016.

1. AndrewR23, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ive had my Apple watch since May of last year. Has Apple Care + too. Ive used express replacement once last summer.

Right now my watch is displaying an orange screen at random times.

When I try to do an express replacement, the chat/phone guy will say the system won't let them. A few phone calls later, and no one can figure out why. Engineers were contacted by a senior advisor and its been 3 weeks since Ive heard anything.

Ive done a few of express replacements with iPhones and never had this problem before. Any advice?

please read the entire thread before making a useless reply.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think the "Ive done dozens of express replacements with iPhones" could be the problem. Sounds like you have a "black mark" on your record. Apple may have had enough!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's probably why.

If not express replacements, can you not send it in for repair? Unlike a phone, you can live without the watch for a couple of weeks.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Have to agree with the others here, I think this mystery has been solved.

5. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

Apple keeps tabs on people who potentially abuse warranty replacements just for the sake of getting a brand new device. You may have to purchase Squaretrade from now on. I've had an iPhone since the very first one was released and I've only used AppleCare maybe 4 times in years.

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm sure there's more to the OP's story, but for now, it reminds me of this Judge Judy case:

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Go to a store and/or send it in for normal service. If that's not an option then get a prorated refund on your AppleCare. Though they should be covering is under the normal warranty anyway since its been less than a year.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

If the item breaks multiple time,s and each issue is confirmed when Apple receives the bad unit back, then whats' the problem with express replacements. If Apple is not reviewing the returned products that's on them. If there is a blacklist, then those you have spoken with have lied to you as I cannot believe no one knows what's going on.

I dont disagree with folks that sending it in may work best. Of course the OP can wait since eeks have already passed.

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I suspect that the issue isn't duplicatable and the OP doesn't have video/documentation/proof of it happening.

I further suspect that some of the prior iPhone issues were also intermittent/random.

In such a case, Apple may have cooperated in the past and given replacements for "customer satisfaction" reasons not so much that they verified the issues.

After several of these they may have flagged the account as simply requiring a full inspection on future exchange requests (so they don't lose out so much money on granting unlimited replacements of many products without question).

It is possible the lower level staff can't see the "reason" his account is flagged, they may just see that it IS flagged.

One can make a reasonable case that you can't be without your phone for even a day (especially if you use it for business). A watch is more of a luxury than a NECESSITY so there's no reason why the OP isn't willing to ship it out for inspection, assuming the option to do so is offered.

If the OP can't live without his watch, he can also buy another one and return it within the 14 or 30 day window by which his case will be resolved. Its like putting a down payment on a loaner.

10. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Whether he abused the policy or not, they should tell him why it is not an option..

11. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

A dozen without the S is what I should have put. I've owned every iPhone since 2007. Most of those express replacements were with the iPhone 5 with the scratching issue.

Just for the heck of it, I tried to do an express replacement with my 6S. It was granted. I then never filled out the email. Tried with the watch. Denied. So no, it is not related to the iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2016 ---
    This is incorrect as I can still do express replacements with the iPhone, but not the watch.
    Incorrect.
    There is not anymore to this story. Been on this forum a long time, not one of those who come in here making up things.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

What do you keep doing to your gadgets? I can think of one iPhone replacement I've had to make. I've only been using them since the 3G, though, so what do I know?

13. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

14. JayLenochiniMac, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Only anal-retentive people think devices "break" a dozen times. I've had iPhones since 2007 and I can count the number I've had to replace them on only one hand (more like half a hand). Without more information, it sounds like the OP might be a multiple replacement offender for the littlest, anal-retentive issues that most of us don't notice, and hence he's on their blacklist.

15. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Where are you located? Is going in to an apple store an option?

16. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Please don't reply if you don't read the entire thread.

I am not on any blacklist. I am still able to do express replacements with my iPhone. Just not with the watch. And Ive only used the express replacement once. The only out of the normal thing I can think of is that when I bought the watch on swappa, Apple has had some trouble getting the applecare transferred to my name. They said they fixed it but Idk.

Once again, I am still able to make express replacements...just not with the watch.
    Yup, but I'm mostly trying to find out why I can't get an express replacement. Ive been using my G shock the last 3 weeks. Idc really about the watch, this isn't a priority but its just a curiosity now.
    Nothing, I had about 6 replacements with the iPhone 5 came out because they all had scuffs. Apple just kept sending me the replacements and were happy to do so.

The other few were legitimate issues. 2 were with the iPhone 6 because the front camera was moving. 1 with my 4S because the home button pushed in and never came up.

My 2G, 3G, 3Gs, 4, 5S have never been replaced.

17. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So, who on this site can tell you why Apple doesn't answer your questions about your aWatch?
    No one here.

Only Apple can tell you.
    My guess is that you have not yet discovered who can answer your question.
    Two words to remember - perseverance, then patience.

Persevere - by calling (again) to verify your AppleCare status. If you get the same story about your express replacement, ask to get transferred to someone who has the authority to help. I suspect you will then discover why you aren't allowed an express replacement for an aWatch.
    Someone at Apple knows why.

Then, be patient - because shipping an aWatch back for a replacement, then waiting for the replacement to return will take a few days longer, eh?

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Did your iPhone 5 replacements keep arriving with scuffs in the box?

19. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

How has OP gotten so many bad Apple products? I bet the odds for OP's luck are less than winning the lottery. You should buy a ticket ;).

But really...

20. AndrewR23, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Like I've said, I was not asking why you guys think Apple is denying me the replacement option. I was simply asking for advice but this thread turned into an iPhone thread basically.

The rest of your comment after that was fine. Although I have patience, Ive been waiting a month for an answer now. Idc about the watch honestly, it sits unused my drawer now. I can easily get it repaired by sending it in. I just want to know why they won't allow me to get an express replacement.

On another chat just now, the guy said and I quote "This device is not eligible for express replacement" I gave him my iPhone and iPad serial number and he said those were eligible. So this has NOTHING to do with previous iPhone replacements.
    Ok?

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

A good majority of MR members had that problem. Many iPhone 5 (especially the black and slate units) arrived out of the box full of factory-induced scuffs and nicks, and this wasn't resolved until January or so of the following year.

However, it was quite pointless to keep exchanging it. What I did was inform Apple of my intention to replace it at a later date and they annotated it in their system. I eventually got around to replacing it in the following year. Same thing with the crescent moon camera issue on the iPhone 6. I deliberately waited until right before the warranty expired to swap it out in case Apple found a permanent fix for it.

22. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yup and I paid full price for it. I wasn't happy with it looking like that brand new. I exchanged it before Apple acknolwedged the problem. Once I found out there was no fix, I let it go and just used it without a case.

23. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You don't seem surprised that you might have problems with AppleCare and your Watch.
    I expect it is somehow connected with the original purchaser, or at least how the first sale was completed, and is not really about YOU, but the device itself.
    That would be one possible challenge when purchasing a used (I mean "previously purchased" :D ) device.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They did fix it but it didn't happen until January or February of the following year. Apple did acknowledge they were aware of the situation when I called them about it.

Sometime it's best to wait a while before attempting a swap for an issue that doesn't affect the functionality of the device, especially considering you have one full year to do it.

25. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

OP bought the watch on swappa. He said they had trouble transferring Apple Care.
    There is an issue and it may be with the original owner or the transfer of ownership.