Apple Depicts iPad as Laptop, Textbook, and Paperwork Replacement in Series of New Ads

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared four new 15-second ads highlighting the portability of the iPad for education and travel.

The ads, titled Travel Simply, Organized Notes, Paperless Paperwork, and All Your Stuff, depict the iPad as a space-saving replacement for textbooks in the classroom, paperwork in the office, and a laptop during a flight.

Many of the comparisons are exaggerated -- for example, the baby on the plane suddenly stops crying when the camera pans over the passenger using an iPad -- but the ads convey a clear message about the iPad's versatility.

Two of the ads show the iPad Pro, and two show the sixth-generation iPad, introduced at Apple's education event last March. The latter is priced from $329 in the United States, serving as a lower-cost alternative to the iPad Pro.

Apple initially uploaded the ads to its YouTube channels in Asia, Europe, and the Middle East, and later in the United States.

Article Link: Apple Depicts iPad as Laptop, Textbook, and Paperwork Replacement in Series of New Ads

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
An iPad will never be a laptop replacement without mouse support. An iPad is a superior product in many ways than a laptop, but for specific situations, a mouse is needed in order to truly replace the laptop.
A pointing device would be useful in some scenario. I'd never carry a mouse with me to use with a table, but I love the trackpad of my MBP so much that I sometimes leave the mouse at home even when I need to use the laptop, so I'd say a cover embedding a keyboard with a trackpad would cover most of the use cases. If you really need a mouse for most of your work maybe the iPad is not the right device to use.

Reactions: rjbenson83

phillytim

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
An iPad will never be a laptop replacement without mouse support. An iPad is a superior product in many ways than a laptop, but for specific situations, a mouse is needed in order to truly replace the laptop.
I don't currently agree with that. A precision pen (with a very fine point) *could* recoup most all of the functions one would typically use a mouse for on a tablet (such as photo editing).

What functions do you find that necessitate a mouse?

Of those functions, which ones do you find that a pen could not do?

Reactions: RevTEG and chabig

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
A pointing device would be useful in some scenario. I'd never carry a mouse with me to use with a table, but I love the trackpad of my MBP so much that I sometimes leave the mouse at home even when I need to use the laptop, so I'd say a cover embedding a keyboard with a trackpad would cover most of the use cases. If you really need a mouse for most of your work maybe the iPad is not the right device to use.
You’re right it’s not the right device to use. And that’s fine. Except Apple is telling us it is. That’s the problem. Make it a laptop replacement or shut the hell up.

The flaw is they are marketing it to people who really don’t need a laptop. Their error is that these people mostly already just use a big iPhone. I think Apple would be better served by trying to get the Mac people to go iPad instead of the iPhone people to go iPad.

YaBe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2017
Have been iPad Pro exclusive since September last year, I still have to find something I cannot do with it, it took a bit to get used to a new workflow, but now, I can say the iPad is a laptop replacement for many.

No it won't replace it for everyone (nor it is ment to otherwise they would not produce laptops anymore) but for many use scenario it is a full replacement.

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I can back up my iPad to my Mac. I won’t be able to do that with just an iPad.

Also I enjoy running full desktop applications on my MBP, it’s just not the same on a touch device.

Not yet anyways.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
It's funny how much Apple has embraced the stylus while Jobs was vehemently opposed to making the iPad a large PDA.

But overall I think this is good as the biggest feature of something that looks like a pad of paper (and named after one) should have been handwriting and stylus support right from day one.

It might not be necessary for everyone, but there are still a lot of times I grab a pad of paper and pencil to sketch out some designs for work and it is still far easier and quicker for making a list or jot down some notes. It's just that even with the iPad Pro handwriting and note taking still doesn't feel like a first class feature of the iPad. It's good, but not still not great and I think Apple could do better especially if the are starting to promote this as a differentiating feature from the rest of the tablet market.

Reactions: Aldaris and nt5672

asiga

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
The problem here is that Apple is assuming that nobody in a flight is going to open a Terminal and invoke the C compiler. And the shocking reality is that one of the main reasons why I switched to the Mac years ago is how well the Terminal worked (as opposed to Windows) in a computer that "just worked" (as opposed as a Linux PC).

But now, Apple says to us: "go away, use a Linux PC".

Cookie18

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
France
People in these comments are really ****ing butthurt over these ads. In all of these cases an iPad could be better than a laptop. A laptop is best for some things, an iPad is best for others. I don’t pull out my MacBook Pro on a flight when I can take out my 12.9" iPad instead, the iPad is vastly superior in that situation.

People act like you can only own one of these ****ing devices, own one or both or none. It doesn’t take away from what each device does better.

Ds6778

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2016
Lol why do some people seem to get irate that Apple is pushing the iPad as a laptop replacement? For a lot of people it is. Everything you “present” as “evidence” against the iPad being a replacement device is purely anecdotal. Hate to break it to some of you but the iPad/iPad Pro CAN be a computer replacement for some people. Not everyone is a “pro” user. I’d argue that half the people that refer to themselves as “pros” aren’t.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
So the iPad can back up iPhones and other devices now? They can connect to / format external storage drives, run 3D printers and Blender?

No? Guess it isn’t a laptop replacement yet.
No, but you may not necessarily need it to. I back up to iCloud and can connect to my home server or cloud services. Just because it doesn't do those specific things for you doesn't mean it isn't a laptop replacement. It means it's not a laptop replacement for you. There's a difference.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Why does it need to replace a laptop. My guess is a lot of people were/are using laptops for things that don’t require a precision pointing device. For me personally if Apple allowed media to be synced to music and TV apps, allowed metadata editing and provided access to this media in the Files app I’d never have a reason to use my old windows PC. The only reason I use it now is for things that can only be done with desktop iTunes.