Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Agreed. Actually, Tim Cook doesn't believe in innovation and that's why it takes a long time.

If Tim Cook is the chief executive officer of Apple in 1983, Apple will be filing chapter 11 bankruptcy by 1997.

View attachment 1742236

Sure, because apple has not innovated since Tim Cook took over.

It’s not like they changed the entire file system on a billion devices overnight with no hiccups. Or changed their entire system architecture achieving massive speed and power improvements to wide acclaim. Or Apple Watch. Or a million other things.

(And Tim Cook would use proper grammar in his photo captions)

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California

Apple's custom-designed 5G cellular modem will likely debut in all 2023 iPhone models, according to Barclays analysts Blayne Curtis and Thomas O'Malley. In a supplier-focused research note shared with MacRumors, the analysts said chipmakers Qorvo and Broadcom should be among the companies that benefit from the shift to Apple's in-house solution.

Apple-5G-Modem-Feature-16x9.jpg

Fast Company's Mark Sullivan and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman are among several sources who have reported that Apple is working on its own modem for future iPhones. Apple reportedly began development of the modem in 2020, after acquiring the majority of Intel's smartphone modem business a year earlier to bolster its efforts. Barclays previously said the modem will support both sub-6GHz and mmWave bands of 5G, as to be expected.

Apple currently uses Qualcomm modems, including the Snapdragon X55 modem in iPhone 12 models. In 2019, a legal settlement between Apple and Qualcomm revealed that Apple will likely use the Snapdragon X60 modem in 2021 iPhones, followed by the Snapdragon X65 modem in 2022 iPhones. The roadmap did mention the possibility of 2023 iPhones using an unannounced Snapdragon X70 modem, but this now appears less likely.

Apple's modem would likely be manufactured by its longtime chipmaking partner TSMC.

Article Link: Apple-Designed 5G Modem Said to Debut in All 2023 iPhone Models
Looks like my 12 pro will not be upgraded this year. Another Intel modem fiasco waiting to happen.

Apple Freak

macrumors regular
May 22, 2009
Intel's business is far, far more than just CPU's. Having said that, PC sales are booming so why wouldn't analysts be bullish?

Yes, they have a lot of work to do but anyone claiming Intel are doomed really needs to stop embarrassing themselves.
I'm not saying Intel is doomed, I'm just saying I wouldn't invest in their stock until real innovation starts coming out of their HQ again. It's gonna be a tough year for them.

Reactions: LordVic

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Intel's business is far, far more than just CPU's. Having said that, PC sales are booming so why wouldn't analysts be bullish?

Yes, they have a lot of work to do but anyone claiming Intel are doomed really needs to stop embarrassing themselves.

Because While PC sales are booming, it's not Intel going into the bulk of them anymore.

So while sales in the industry are booming for various reasons, Intel's involvement in that boom is less than it would have been if they had managed to keep ahead of AMD in development and innovation on the CPU front.

Things that are hurting Intel on the desktop side right now:

1. Performance per Watt.

2. Features locked down for no other reason other than "pay more".

3. Temperatures.

4. Price to Performance.

its been a very interesting time in the consumer, and especially enthusiast market for CPU's. AMD literal cannot keep their 5xxx series on shelves while Intel are available and not moving nearly as well.

Intel isn't doomed. they've got a lot still in regards to patents, licensing, developement and chips that will be bought
but they're not the absolute guaranteed leader in the space anymore. With REAL competition, they are finding in only a short few years that people are willing to not buy Intel anymore.

Reactions: PC_tech

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I doubt Qualcomm will be able to sue as Apple got the IP from Intel also.
Of course, but I also doubt that Apple’s owning Intel’s modem patents will stop QC from looking over their Apple’s future chip with a microscope. Patent suits are won and lost all the time, and there’s nothing (and little disincentive) to stop QC from trying, even if that chip appears to stay within what the Intel IP covers.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't get whats the big deal with intel modems, qualcomm, and Apple. I have the intel in an SE 2020, I dont see it having any disadvantages?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm not saying Intel is doomed, I'm just saying I wouldn't invest in their stock until real innovation starts coming out of their HQ again. It's gonna be a tough year for them.
I’m not sure Intel was ever about innovation. At least I cannot remember a time when it was. Their success was always about excellence in execution - they had the best fabs in the business, capable of incredibly high yields at even the smallest process nodes. They had 7 or 8 fabs all churning out products with identical precisions, where we couldn’t even expand capacity at one fab, or transfer a process from our old fab to our new fab, without a tremendous hit in yield.

Their designs were always “yeah, that’s what you do when you have good yield on a ___ micron process, because what the hell else are you going to use those transistors for?” And their microarchitectures always lagged behind the competition (Sun, DEC, HP, etc.), who were forced to try innovating there because they didn’t have access to Intel-like fabs.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Apple Freak

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
By 2023 it’s possible that we see some benefits of 5G on an iphone
Problem is that the carriers carry the burden of getting this up and running not Apple. So basically Apple making it’s own modem still depends on carriers building out the service availability

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Does anyone even know the benefit at Apple developing their own modem? Are consumers gonna see a price cut in phones if they do? And if Apple ever does get around to achieving this, it will won't be as polished as the current tech

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
Did we see a lower price when they took away the iPhone charger ?
we might have, the prizes might have risen a bit less than they normally would that year. A saving is not only a reduction (relative to last year) in the sticker price, it might allso be a slower rise than usual

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.