Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With today's launch of iPad pre-orders in the U.S., Apple has also released additional information about the device and associated services. While 3G-capable models of the iPad will not be available until late April, Apple has provided an overview of how customers will sign up for and manage their 3G data service on the device.

As previously revealed, customers can choose from either of two contract-free data plans in the U.S. through AT&T: $14.99 per month for 250 MB or $29.99 for unlimited data. Customers can sign up for service directly on the iPad and can cancel or re-enroll at any time.
So if you have a business trip or vacation approaching, just sign up for the month you'll be traveling and cancel when you get back. You don't need to visit a store to get 3G service. You can sign up, check your data usage, manage your account, or cancel your service -- all from your iPad.
Data service is activated on the iPad through its Settings application, offering a simple screen allowing the user to select a plan and a credit card payment method.

092606-3g_billing_1.jpg

Once access is activated, the application offers a clear overview of the customer's service details, including active dates of service and amount of data used and amount/time remaining for customers on the 250 MB plan. Apple also notes that customers on the 250 MB plan will received three alerts (20%, 10%, and 0% remaining) to keep them apprised of their remaining data limits.

092606-3g_billing_2.jpg

Users can also easily manage their service through the Settings application, allowing them to change plans or cancel service automatically at the end of any billing period. Users on the 250 MB service plan can also select to automatically boost their plan to unlimited service once they reach their limit.

092606-3g_billing_3.jpg

AT&T's 3G service plans for the iPad also provide users with access to over 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots. And all iPad models support 802.11n Wi-Fi for optimum performance.

Article Link: Apple Details iPad 3G Service Sign-Up and Management

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It's good that at 250.01MB they don't automatically bump you to unlimited, or charge overage fees for being over your plan.

Bad news - no auto-expire option. Better make sure you cancel each time you go month to month!

RainbowMac

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
canceling service as you go is great, but are there any activation or other fees when enabling or canceling your service?

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2006
Note the "Device Number" in the second image which is a telephone number. Why would the iPad have a phone number? Is it a phone, too??

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Note the "Device Number" in the second image which is a telephone number. Why would the iPad have a phone number? Is it a phone, too??

I noticed that too, I believe they attach a phone number to the SIM, but that would certainly make it interesting of certain possibilities. Although the iPad is not considered a phone by AT&T.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007

Any device that uses cell service needs to have a phone number, my 3G data card has a phone number, but no voice plan.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wow, something you normally don't see from cell company's. They automatically have the option to bump you to unlimited plan once you cap the 250Mb plan. Why wouldn't you do the 250 and try to save some money each month and if you go over you just pay for unlimited.

I will surely be getting the 3g model now.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land

All 3G Devices have a phone number.

My laptop card has a number, it shows up on my bill just like another phone line with data only.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Wow!

AT&T and Apple seemed to really get this right the first time around!

1. Receive data remaining alerts
2. Automatically bump up to unlimited if you use over 250MB to avoid fees
3.Option to automatically cancel at end of billing cycle

These are great options. Ease of use may actually make AT&T more $$ when users see how easy and wallet safe it is. Also, AT&T doesn't seem to be charging start up or cancelation fees either. Very promising info here.

AT&T & Apple definitely hit the nail on the head with this one!:)

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
I too am holding out for the 3G model, even worse I am holding out to Best Buy have it because I have $200 in best Buy gift cards that I need to use. Can't wait to get my hands on this. I will go with the 250mb plan and the option to upgrade once the limit is reached. I wonder if you reach the limit one month and it upgrade to the unlimited plan, do the following month it downgrades you back to the 250MB plan?

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
This is a huge breakthrough for a cell company. I specifically ordered myself a 3G (paid the extra premium) for this feature. I travel a couple of times per year, and I certainly don't want to pay for a contract to have mobile data for a computer. I already pay for my iPhone... tethering would be nice, but $15/month is a great deal for the couple of times per year I'll need it.

Serious business travelers won't care so much, but for someone who will use Wifi 95% of the time, I love this plan.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Does anyone know, do you need to have WiFi access to be able to sign up for the 3G service? Or will it use 3G to allow you to sign up?

In other words, do you have to know you need 3G in order to get it. Hope not.

-Kevin

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
It's good that at 250.01MB they don't automatically bump you to unlimited, or charge overage fees for being over your plan.

Bad news - no auto-expire option. Better make sure you cancel each time you go month to month!

That's definitely the case? You're locked out once you hit 250MB, but there's no financial penalty?

I'm going to have to monitor my iPhone usage and see how long it takes me to get to 250MB. Maybe more sites will have a "lite" version, like the BBC already does.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Wow, something you normally don't see from cell company's. They automatically have the option to bump you to unlimited plan once you cap the 250Mb plan. Why wouldn't you do the 250 and try to save some money each month and if you go over you just pay for unlimited.

I will surely be getting the 3g model now.

Basically, what I gather from the screenshot is that once you run out of data of 250MB. Then your month ends. Bam, done. Now, you have to either buy $14.99 and start a "new" month, or $29.99 for unlimited and start a "new" month.

So if you run out, basically, you have to start all over.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2007
I too am holding out for the 3G model, even worse I am holding out to Best Buy have it because I have $200 in best Buy gift cards that I need to use. Can't wait to get my hands on this. I will go with the 250mb plan and the option to upgrade once the limit is reached. I wonder if you reach the limit one month and it upgrade to the unlimited plan, do the following month it downgrades you back to the 250MB plan?

Regarding your question - I'm not sure, you'd probably have to ask ATT. But just a thought, you know you could sell your gift card on eBay, and get close to $200 for it? Normally gift cards get pretty close to their true value. That would save you a lot of time, because who knows when Best Buy will get these models in, and the 3G ones may or may not come.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Does anyone know, do you need to have WiFi access to be able to sign up for the 3G service? Or will it use 3G to allow you to sign up?

In other words, do you have to know you need 3G in order to get it. Hope not.

-Kevin

EXCELLENT QUESTION.

I'd certainly hope the sign-up could be done over 3G. I would think they'd want to offer that.

But yes, I'd like to see proof of it too.

jamest71

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
I like the plans offered but it would be nice if AT&T offered a 3rd option for a one year contract and subsidized iPad cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.